Remove Advertisements

I need Help

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

I need Help

Postby Dragyn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 am

Hey I am a brand new Pally tank and I was hoping some one from Grizzly Hills (realm) can sort of mentor me and be on hand I am an experienced player but its always nice to have some help! My Char is Dragyn.
Dragyn

Re: I need Help

Postby Chunes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 am

Dragyn wrote:Hey I am a brand new Pally tank and I was hoping some one from Grizzly Hills (realm) can sort of mentor me and be on hand I am an experienced player but its always nice to have some help! My Char is Dragyn.

Start by heading over to http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewforum . Read everything there.

Then go to http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewforum and read everything there.

Then head over to http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewforum and read everything there.

Finally, head to http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewforum and read everything there.

Once you've done those 4 steps, write up a summary post in the post your success thread of everything you've learned. If you still have any questions, just PM one of the more prolific posters and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.
Chunes

Postby Vrimmel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:19 pm

"Go read everything" is terrible advice for a fresh player. Unless he has photographic memory he will just be overwhelmed by the amount of information available. And stricly speaking, a lot of what is written in some points might not be relevant for him at all.

However, those boards are excellent sources of information when you know what you are looking for.

The basic things you should have control over are:
1. Talent spec
- Copy the cookie cutter spec 0/53/18
2. Rotation
3. Correct gear/enchants
- You should look this up in one of the many guides on this site.
4. Suitable addons.
- Threat meter: Omen or skada
- Boss mod: DBM, Deus VoX, Bigwigs
- Raid frame with mouse-over macros for taunts, hands of whatever, cleanse (Many like grid and clique)
- Raid overview addon (HUDmap)
- Pallypower
5. Knowledge of specific encounters
6. Correct consumables.

When all this is clear, you have a solid foundation for tanking and you can go "read everything".
Vrimmel

Postby blakk » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey. If you mean grizzly hills u.s. then myself or beornus (if he's willing) could certainly take you aside and help you out with some things. just give me a /w or an in game mail or a pm here.
blakk

Postby greatcow95 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:40 pm

This is the 0/53/18 build mentioned. Well, at least a variation of it, because it has one "filler" in Improved Blessing of Might. That can really go anywhere, but the essentials are in that build. Your three "sacrifice everything else to get" talents are Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, and Seal of Command. Sacrifice what little can be sacrificed to get to those first and then fill in the rest of the chart (the build is rather unforgiving in terms of talent point allocation--2 points at the very bottom of the Prot tree are all that can be really sacrificed).

edit--IR gud at counting tonight
WoW is not Facebook or Myspace. Protest RealID by putting this everywhere.
greatcow95

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:54 am

I'm going to forward this to the Basic Training section. You might find it useful in addition to the advice given here already to peruse some of the similar threads of fresh tankadins looking for advice, as you may have many questions already answered there.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby beornus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:57 am

Greatcow is right, first thing is to redo your talent build. Just checked your armory and you are in your holy gear but like Blakk said, feel free to drop us a tell ingame as we are on the same server, see my sig for my info.

Though it is a lot of reading, not knowing your needs, experiences and background, the links provided are a great primer and should address any basic questions you have. There are not a lot of "new" questions unless you are talking Cata, chances are they have been asked on these boards and have ben answered. The challenging part can be finding it as this is a pretty active community and on occassion has derailed a thread from the intended topic lol.

I should have kept quiet and thought a fool then to have typed and removed all doubt.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:39 am

But the stickies don't usually stay derailed.

Lots of GREAT information in the stickies. On topic, have any of you noticed you can always tell when someone is a fairly new tank compared to someone who hasn't tanked at all before, due more to how they like to position the adds, mark, and talk on vent, and pull mobs in raids?
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Vrimmel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:13 pm

greatcow95 wrote:This is the 0/53/18 build mentioned. Well, at least a variation of it, because it has one "filler" in Improved Blessing of Might. That can really go anywhere, but the essentials are in that build. Your three "sacrifice everything else to get" talents are Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, and Seal of Command. Sacrifice what little can be sacrificed to get to those first and then fill in the rest of the chart (the build is rather unforgiving in terms of talent point allocation--2 points at the very bottom of the Prot tree are all that can be really sacrificed).

I strongly disagree on that one point in improved blessing of might. Most of the time in raids, you will get a better option from other players, and the practical use of it is negligible in heroics. Also while you only need one point in improved judgements for 96969, there are many situations where you don't necessarily have to keep up your rotation, but will want to have a ranged attack option possible as soon as possible. For example if tanking orbs on blood princes, or trying to get control over several adds which are far apart.
Vrimmel

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:55 am

Vrimmel wrote:
greatcow95 wrote:This is the 0/53/18 build mentioned. Well, at least a variation of it, because it has one "filler" in Improved Blessing of Might. That can really go anywhere, but the essentials are in that build. Your three "sacrifice everything else to get" talents are Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, and Seal of Command. Sacrifice what little can be sacrificed to get to those first and then fill in the rest of the chart (the build is rather unforgiving in terms of talent point allocation--2 points at the very bottom of the Prot tree are all that can be really sacrificed).

I strongly disagree on that one point in improved blessing of might. Most of the time in raids, you will get a better option from other players, and the practical use of it is negligible in heroics. Also while you only need one point in improved judgements for 96969, there are many situations where you don't necessarily have to keep up your rotation, but will want to have a ranged attack option possible as soon as possible. For example if tanking orbs on blood princes, or trying to get control over several adds which are far apart.

The point 'floats', it makes no difference where it goes in honesty and is generally dependant on group set up, which when PuGing cannot be confirmed anyway prior to the run. If you are in a guild then you yourself should know what you need more.

BoM or IJ are both equal contenders for the floating point dependant on what you are doing. To say one is better than the other without examining each case under its own respective merits is misleading.

I personally have 2/2 IJ. Simply for the extra speed of add pick ups.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to Basic Training & Talents