Needing some advice.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Needing some advice.

Postby Celania » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

First of all, a disclaimer! (I can hear all of you groaning now.) The person behind the screen name decided a while back ago to drop her priest as her main and pick up a resto druid for ICC progression. She's been healing for 4 years straight now, so that possibly explains why she's referring to herself in third person. I've gone a little cracked in the head. In order to complicate my life, back in BC, I rolled a little paladin. I was intending to keep her ret for all of her days until I stumbled across an epic video of a paladin tanking all of these big huge bosses. Long story short on that one, I specced my paladin alt Prot and haven't really looked back.

So the main gist of this post is as follows:

Everyone in guild knows I have a palatank alt. Here she is. In fact, they've all known about this toon since BC when I was tanking Kara, ZA, and heroics for them. Once our mains got to a comfortable point in progression, we naturally started building up our alts. Well now comes ICC, and I got drafted to be the main tank of our main/alt runs. (We call it the main/alt because it's mostly alts, but mains who didn't get in a 10 man are welcome to come along and get gear/badges.)

What's the problem?

By some miracle (and the 15-20% buff) we managed to get our alts geared and knowledgeable enough to make it to LK, and I'm just wondering if I'm doin' it right. The typical group makeup is a tree and a holy/disc priest healing with either a shammy or a paladin doing 3rd heals when needed. I have a Death Knight OTing and our DPS tends to skew a tad heavy on melee. Okay I lied on the 'tad' heavy part - it's normally almost all melee with only one or two casters. We've managed to make it to p3 on LK within 3 pulls, but I want to make it easier on the healers and dps.

So what's the point?

I just need general advice on my spec and some on my gear. (Keep in mind, I don't have the saronites to drop for pillars of might or the boots. I'm still buying stuff on my main with her frost emblems.) The helm is next on my shopping list, so I'm saving emblems for that. (30 more to go!) My big concerns are threat and survivability - since mains can regularly pull 12-13k dps on 25, they're still topping over 10k in 10mans and I have to make sure that they don't go splat, and sometimes I see huge dips in my health when tanking and I know the healers have to work to top me back up.

Thanks in advance guys!
Celania

Re: Needing some advice.

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Stealing a point out of Improved Blessing of Might and a couple points out of Crusade could
get you the raidwall (Divine Sacrifice+Divine Guardian), which would fit your "make it easier
on the healers" specification. Assuming, of course, that you can afford to take about a 4%
threat loss.

I'll let somebody else talk about the gear because I'm pretty out of the loop.
Arcand

Postby golfinguy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Just a quick glance, take with grain of salt....

You're heavy on hit, more than you need to be - but light on EXP. I love hit capping too, but EXP is more important by a long shot. To remedy this you have two quick (not subject to RNG drops) options: Cataclysmic Chestguard, or the T10 Legs, or even both (as I've done as a result of a VOA drop). Since you have already spent badges on the chest, get the legs via VOA farming or badges (since you're raiding 10mans you're unlikely to see the boots with EXP). Everyone will tell you Pillars are better, but you really need the EXP.

Corpse Tongue Coin is kinda 'meh', even the Triumph badge purchased Glyph is better. Replace IMO.

Not much to say on the talents, look ok to me. The 3 points in Divinity could be better used for DS/DG, but its your choice.

EDIT: I see you are raiding 25mans - so you have the boot option for EXP too.
golfinguy

Postby Levantine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:16 pm

Spec's good excet for taking Divinity over DS/DG. (In before someone says it's not a maintank ability)

You're an Engineer using Armsman. 885 Armor is much much better 2% Threat and 10 Parry
225hp is better than 10stats for your chest enchant from an EH perspective.

Look into the Loop of the Twin Val'kyr from ToGC10 for an amazing EH ring that's pretty easy to get.
The Glyph of Indomitability is much better than the Corpse Tongue Coin.
Saronite Swordbreakers would be a cheap and easy upgrade to your bracers too.

Edit: I just saw you're using Bladeward. Swap to either 26agi, Mongoose, Accuracy or Blood Draining. Bladeward is a horrible enchant and does virtually nothing.
Levantine

Postby Celania » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Posting a reply really fast: Thanks for the advice!

For the hit, I'm trying to drop at least a full percent of it. I know I'm way over hit cap, it's just slapped all over the gear I've gotten. I'm trying to up my expertise as well. So far, no luck out of VoA, but considering Alliance gets it maybe 7 times out of the full week, I'll keep trying. If all else fails, I'll just buy the damn things. :)

I use the Corpse Tongue on fights where I know I'm gonna be dropping below 35% (like Festergut with 25 PuGs - that's the 25s you see, I've been PuGging it.) on a regular basis and trade that out with the Black Heart on other fights. I just forgot to switch it back out after I got out of the 25.

DG/DS is what I'm worried about - I have to keep hand of Reckoning bosses and tossing hand of Salv on occasion for some of the main DPSers in there. I don't know if I can lose that much threat without having issues, but I will definitely give it a go.

And since my druid is an enchanter, I'll toss several enchants her way.
Celania

Postby golfinguy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 pm

You do not have to lose any threat talents to get DS/DG - drop the points out of Divinity. The expertise gain will aid your threat as well.
golfinguy

Postby Tewz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:03 pm

I see that you have defense on your shield, You could get 18 stamina instead, although its a BC enchant its still nice to have the extra hp. its not necessarily needed, but you could also trade your helms dodge/sta gem for a agi/sta one, for abit of extra armor and crit
Tewz

Return to Basic Training & Talents