Remove Advertisements

Damage Reducing CoolDowns - And when to use them .

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Damage Reducing CoolDowns - And when to use them .

Postby lovepump » Tue May 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey guys,
I hope this topic has not been covered somewhere before, so apologies in advanced.
My tankadin is now lvl35 (no smug laughs please ).I am starting to come across an increase in damage reducing CD's which I'm not sure when to use . Obviously I want to use them as effectively as possible to help my group and healer.

I was wondering if someone could possibly list the most effective Cool Downs available (Up to lvl.80) and the situations when they should be used.

Thanks in advanced
"From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother"
lovepump

Re: Damage Reducing CoolDowns - And when to use them .

Postby Arcand » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 am

Apart from the odd trinket, your life-saving cooldowns are...

Potions
Healthstones
Divine Protection
Lay on Hands

I'm afraid it's hard to describe when to use them; all you can say about the timing is so simple and obvious as to risk sounding insulting. You hit them when your health falls dangerously low (in the case of health-restoring cooldowns), just before you take a big chunk of predictable damage (in the case of damage-reducing cooldowns), when the group is taking a bunch of damage and you want to make it safe for the healer to ignore you for a bit and top off the DPS (think Magtheridon, when he brings the roof down), or if your healer gets stunned, silenced, has to move, or has to stay 'threat-silent' pending the pickup of some adds.

In general I have a tendency to not hit my cooldowns; I keep saving them for The Perfect Moment. I make a conscious effort to combat that, and hit them whenever they're even slightly indicated. Blizzard's been pretty generous with the cooldown times and it's extremely rare to think "blast, it's still not up, why oh why did I hit it on that last fight". So put them where you can reach them, and get some use out of them! :)

(Have you played a healer? If you have, you can probably judge pretty well from your group's bars and the tactical situation when your healer's under stress. The easiest answer to 'when do I hit my cooldowns' is 'whenever will minimize stress on the healer'.)
Arcand

Postby lovepump » Wed May 05, 2010 2:11 am

Arcand ,
That’s great. Seems I have been using the correct ones . Just concerned that in the protection tree I have started spec'ing into abilities that I see no real use for.(In 5 man instances) Example :One that makes me immune to damage , but reduces my damage by 50% , and another which reduces raid damage and reflects them back onto me.

Should I bother spending talents points in these, when I doubt I will ever raid?
Shall be my brother"
lovepump

Postby Barathorn » Wed May 05, 2010 3:48 am

lovepump wrote:Arcand ,
That’s great. Seems I have been using the correct ones . Just concerned that in the protection tree I have started spec'ing into abilities that I see no real use for.(In 5 man instances) Example :One that makes me immune to damage , but reduces my damage by 50% , and another which reduces raid damage and reflects them back onto me.

Should I bother spending talents points in these, when I doubt I will ever raid?

If you have no intention to raid then you don't need to pick up the 'raidwall' talents. Those talents are for encounters that require you to 'absorb' huge AoE raidwide damage.

If you intend to run 5 mans only, you are safe to skip them :wink: .

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby lovepump » Wed May 05, 2010 4:22 am

Again , Solid advice .
The foutain of knowledge for all things tankadin :)

Slight re spec incoming
Shall be my brother"
lovepump

Postby Barathorn » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 am

lovepump wrote:Again , Solid advice .
The foutain of knowledge for all things tankadin :)

Slight re spec incoming

For leveling as Prot I definately advise you pick up reckoning as a talent, it makes a big difference to killing 4-5 mobs at a time.

If you need any further advice just ask.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby kysu » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Here is what I did when I lv'd long time ago.

They also have a glyph to make specing into Socom not bad for lving and easy threat, it helps keep ur mana up until you are truly ready aoe tank/grind. You don't really need a heavy prot spec until later 50 and up range until then you can use the socomm then work in the prot tree.
kysu

Return to Basic Training & Talents