Remove Advertisements

Questions from a new Tankadin

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Questions from a new Tankadin

Postby Eridian » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:54 am

[Eridian - I moved this out of the Welcome sticky because it doesn't get a lot of traffic. I think we'll get better results for you this way - Arcand]

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums, I love this site. I'd like to give you some background so you know where I'm coming from. I've been playing WoW since 2004 and my first toon was a NE Warrior, was a maintank back in the days of T1 and T2 way before Burning Crusade, where raiding was a coordinated effort of 40 people and it was a huge challenge to get through MC and BWL (Molten Core and Black Wing Lair). I had always wanted to play a Pally because they looked like so much fun, but never did. I eventually quit the warrior and started a warlock, but deleted the tank since I wanted to keep my name (huge mistake!), played a lock up until post Burning Crusade once I had pretty much done all there was to do. I left the game for about 2 years and have recently come back to WoW after some putzing around in AoC, Warhammer online and Aion.

Ok, so I came back and there have been SO MANY changes, I felt uncomfortable playing my warlock, so I decided to play what I had always wanted to play deep inside, and out comes the Pally within me. I now have my pally at lvl 80 (Tankadin ofcourse) as of last week, and am starting to get Triumphs and Frosts for gear. Reading these boards for all my references and am getting alot of answers, the one thing I am struggling with is a smart use of the 969 (or 696 as I've also read). Obviously I understand there is no cookie-cutter method and that many uses of our abilities are situational, but is there a good standard base rotation (i.e. open with X and then Y then Z spells and rinse and repeat) for maximizing threat while at the same time protecting my arse since I still have yet to have a def of 540? Just curious to know what other more experienced Prot Pally's are using and in what order for their 969 rotations... any answers would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Eridian

Re: Questions from a new Tankadin

Postby Wrathy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Well from my perspective, it its situational what you should use first, as there are times when snap threat is important, and there are times when AoE threat is important. Depending on the situation you can start with any of the abilities in the 969 rotation. What is important to remember is that the rotation is not directly linear (if your keys are bound that way). The entire 969 rotation takes 18 seconds to complete. This is where the major disconnect comes into play when people say that they are having threat issues.

Personally, I have my abilities bound from 2-6 in the following order - HS, HotR, Judge, SoR, Consecrate. This leads to a simple rotation which in time will be committed to muscle memory. 23456325436523456...

There are many methods for snap threat on a single target, and producing AoE threat, but for the most part when you are tanking a mob for more than a few seconds, like bosses or large trash mobs, you will settle into your 969 rotation and drop out a skill to use your utility spells if you fell like they are needed. For example, on trash packs in ICC, i use holy wrath on cooldown. This provides for both some nice snap threat and some reduction in damage from the stun component.

Hope this helps.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby golfinguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm interested to hear what more experienced tankadins start with as well, but here is what I typically do:

Multiple mobs - AS for the pull, drop cons, HotR, HS, etc (9696). After the first three buttons you should have them locked down well, proceed with the rotation.

Boss - HoR for the pull, pop wings(AW), SoR, HS, HotR, etc (6969). Seems the best way to generate snap(ish) aggro and still get that shield up.

I've setup my buttons so that I *kinda* start from the right for multiple mobs, or start from the left for bosses. My judgement button is elsewhere and work that in too - my key mappings are weird I know :wink:
golfinguy

Postby Eridian » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 am

@ Wrathy: Thanks for the reply it was informative and helpful. I will try your rotation on some trash packs and play around with it.

Things are going better, last night I finally got to 542 def. So I feel alot better now about at least the avoidance that I have with respect to my Def. Now on to Block as I upgrade gear... As for my rotations, say for example on trash packs (non undead) it basically looks like this:

Trash packs set up = Retribution Aura + Seal of Command + Blessing of Sanctuary.
Pack of 3 = run in on caster first and taunt while running in HotR, HS, SoR, Judge Wisdom rinse and repeat. If undead, same beginning but I will throw Holy Wrath into the rotation at the start right after HotR.

Packs 4+ = if multiple casters I wil AS the furthest caster while running in, then consecrate then HotR and carry on with aforementioned rotation, usually only popping Consecrate once though for mana management, I keep on eye on Omen and if I see anyone getting close to me in threat I generally won't re-consecrate, I pop Hand of Salvation on them which I've bound as a click cast in Vuhdo unit frames.

For bosses (5 man heroics) Ret aura with Seal of Vengeance and rotation is pretty much same as above... any suggestions on that?
Eridian

Postby Wrathy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:05 am

golfinguy wrote:Multiple mobs - AS for the pull, drop cons, HotR, HS, etc (9696). After the first three buttons you should have them locked down well, proceed with the rotation.

Boss - HoR for the pull, pop wings(AW), SoR, HS, HotR, etc (6969). Seems the best way to generate snap(ish) aggro and still get that shield up.

For multiple mobs, it is also important to note that Seal of Command will help with your threat significantly, and Using HotR first will ensure that none of your mobs are running off to say hi to your healers.

As for boss pulls, I personally wait to pop wings until i have 5 stacks on the boss, to maximize the increased damage uptime. I also know a lot of people will pull with an exo/HoR -> AS -> SoR -> 969 to establish initial aggro.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby golfinguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

Wrathy wrote:
golfinguy wrote:Multiple mobs - AS for the pull, drop cons, HotR, HS, etc (9696). After the first three buttons you should have them locked down well, proceed with the rotation.

For multiple mobs, it is also important to note that Seal of Command will help with your threat significantly, and Using HotR first will ensure that none of your mobs are running off to say hi to your healers.

As for boss pulls, I personally wait to pop wings until i have 5 stacks on the boss, to maximize the increased damage uptime. I also know a lot of people will pull with an exo/HoR -> AS -> SoR -> 969 to establish initial aggro.

Ya, Seal of Command is loads of fun - especially when you're still expertise capped while using it :P

And I do use HotR 'first', as I can lay down CONS while they do the slow walk to me after the AS. Unless I'm pulling really fast and don't want to bother - then just skip to HotR.

May start using AS on bosses as well though, thanks for the heads up.
golfinguy

Return to Basic Training & Talents