First time tanking .. need some advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: First time tanking .. need some advice

Postby yappo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 am

A neat upgrade would come from downgrading EoT to EoV in order to shop the Platinum Mesh Cloak.

You're a bit low on armour, but I still think the first wing of ICC 10 is perfectly doable in the gear you sport today. You probably want a better geared co-tank, if for no other reason then at least for threat.
yappo

Postby Fath » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:26 pm

hmmm so is the platinum cloak better than mine ???

well if i get the shield and the rimefangs claw and the cloak .. i should be alright ?

ive never tanked a raid before so im kinda nervous on how to split mobs between 2 tanks .. and i might end up being an offtank

edit

got the cloak .. added mighty armor on it and it will allow me to switch some of my enchants now for stam instead of dr
Fath

Postby yappo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Fath wrote:hmmm so is the platinum cloak better than mine ???

well if i get the shield and the rimefangs claw and the cloak .. i should be alright ?

ive never tanked a raid before so im kinda nervous on how to split mobs between 2 tanks .. and i might end up being an offtank

Cloak was considered best in slot going into Ulduar, so yep, it's a good one for being 213. Gearwise, yes, weapon and shield and you're good to go. If at all possible, try to squeeze inside one of the reputation runs to get a feeling of running around ten people at once.

Happy grinding.
yappo

Postby Fath » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 pm

is rimefang's claw that much better than Falric's wrist-chopper that i currently have ?
Fath

Postby yappo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 am

Fath wrote:is rimefang's claw that much better than Falric's wrist-chopper that i currently have ?

Same shit more or less :D I believe Falric's come with a pretty unwanted block-rating bonus if I remember, but the differences between the weapons aren't really world-changing.

On my alt tank I happened to see Rimefang's drop first, so it's the one I carry around. Had it been Falric's I'd be walking around with that one instead.

There are two more rather easily aquired weapons of the same quality. Flame Leviathan, although at 25-man, so chances are slim you'll run it. Anub in ToC 10 also drops one, and that place still see frequent pugs.

All in all you're likley to be waiting for Marrowgar's mace from ICC 10, which is the one I have on my main. Better weapons are found further inside (as in after Saurfang), so those are currently out of my grasp.

Onyxia drops a, how to express it, funny tanking weapon on both 10 and 25. Before I had Marrow's mace I was torn between the ilevel 245 Ony sword and Anub's ilevel 232 one. I still haven't come to a clear conclusion on which was better.
yappo

Postby Fath » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:15 am

thanks .. yea that is why i keep running the PoS for the sword .. to get rid of the block value on falrics even though i think falrics looks better.

Yea the argent guard i think its called off anub in TOC10 .. after i get the shield and sword from the icc5 mans .. i will attempt tanking in raids .. never did it before so i dont know how it works with 2 tanks and taunting off each other and whether or not i can put out enough TPS to keep ahead of all the dps these days which seem to be very geared

is there a website or some place i can read to learn the basics of raid tanking ?

edit

also i have noticed that when i use that macro in game to check my total avoidance .. which should be 102.4% with hs active correct ? mine is only like 98% .. not acceptable for raids correct ? should i just gem for dodge ?
Fath

Postby yappo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:17 am

Fath wrote:
Yea the argent guard i think its called off anub in TOC10 .. after i get the shield and sword from the icc5 mans .. i will attempt tanking in raids .. never did it before so i dont know how it works with 2 tanks and taunting off each other and whether or not i can put out enough TPS to keep ahead of all the dps these days which seem to be very geared

is there a website or some place i can read to learn the basics of raid tanking ?

edit

also i have noticed that when i use that macro in game to check my total avoidance .. which should be 102.4% with hs active correct ? mine is only like 98% .. not acceptable for raids correct ? should i just gem for dodge ?

You'll just have to suck it up threat-wise.

There is indeed a website for learning the basics of raid-tanking. Fourtenately you don't need to search long for it as you've already found your way here ;)

Don't bother with 102.4. The amount you shave off with a block is so small these days that your healers will have problems noticing it. Unhittable is theoretically fun in heroics, but in reality you'll only get manaproblems for your effort. Better gear for today's monsters that try to hulk into you for 50k or more damage, which is where armour is a godsend.

Best place to learn the ropes of raidtanking (unless you have access to a friendly guild) is running the weekly raids. Sure, stuff hits like sissies, but it's a distinct difference in feeling being ten people instead of five. The mere existence of a raidchat rather than the partychat, well, even if it maybe really doesn't count as a raid proper any longer, the FEELING is there.

As for raids where stuff really tries to kill you. You WILL make an arse out of yourself. It's part of personal progression. Just read up on the tacs again after you failed horribly, if for no other reason then to make certain that it WAS indeed you failing horribly :D
yappo

Postby Fath » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 am

well ive done most of all the raids .. just not as a tank .. just heals and also dps .. and not on this pally

so u dont need 102.4 for raids either ?
Fath

Postby bldavis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:45 pm

540 def, not 102.4%
the only real need for avoidence that high is H-ToC Anub when you are solo-tanking the adds (if i remember right, i have never seen H-toc10 past the beasts!)

the other thing is why are you skipping a 12 stam bonus? (your helm and chest) in your chest alone, you have rby sockets that can have defense, agil, and stam, that way you dont need to skip the socket bonus in your helm.

and btw Falrics has Block Rating, not BV
vs Dodge with Rimefangs

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Wrathy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:51 pm

bldavis wrote:the only real need for avoidence that high is H-ToC Anub when you are solo-tanking the adds (if i remember right, i have never seen H-toc10 past the beasts!)

Correct, although to tank the adds you only need 101.5 because of their level. Avoidance is secondary to armor and stamina for progression at this time.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Fath » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm

bldavis wrote:540 def, not 102.4%
the only real need for avoidence that high is H-ToC Anub when you are solo-tanking the adds (if i remember right, i have never seen H-toc10 past the beasts!)

the other thing is why are you skipping a 12 stam bonus? (your helm and chest) in your chest alone, you have rby sockets that can have defense, agil, and stam, that way you dont need to skip the socket bonus in your helm.

and btw Falrics has Block Rating, not BV
vs Dodge with Rimefangs

im gonna change out my gems in my helm and chest to hit the bonuses when i get back tonite .. thinking of attempting to do both voas .. as i need badges and maybe a t10 drop bad

what gems would u replace them with btw ?

and im still trying for that damn shield and rimefangs .. but they arent sdropping
Fath

Postby Fath » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:19 pm

just updated my gems and switched out my chest enchant .. sitting at 541 defense .. anything else i need to switch around ?
Fath

Postby bldavis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:43 am

the gems i use when hitting sookcet bonuses (+12 stam is about it now)
red = shifting dreadstone (agil/stam)
yellow = enduring eye of zul
blue = do you have to ask?

aall others get +30 stam

gratz on your new shinies btw! i used that shield up til 2 weeks ago when i got Winter

with your gear now, you should be able to tank (probably OT til you learn the fights from tanks pov)
at least the Lower Cit, (Marrowgar - DBS)

this is my pally, its not the best gear, but im in the top 100 for tankadins on drenden (lol sad i know) Agaren

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fath » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:13 am

nice gear .. my only upgrades now come from frost badges and raiding now .. so im going to
have to jump in somewhere
Fath

Postby Fath » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:11 am

one other question .. what addon do u use to see how many stacks the other tank has on them in order to know when you
need to taunt off ?
Fath

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents