Remove Advertisements

Gemming full +sta bad?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Gemming full +sta bad?

Postby Dabrixmgp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 pm

I have only been a tank for a week because I just hit 80 last Saturday. Tonight healer made a smart ass comment saying something like i guess stacking stamina isnt all that great. I thought you were supposed to gem sta. Here is my armory below. I know my gear isnt the greatest, since like I said I hit 80 last weekend, but I think its decent.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Lilicia
Dabrixmgp

Re: Gemming full +sta bad?

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:28 am

Well, you hit every socket bonus except one, and the one you missed is with a defense gem, presumably to maintain 450. I wouldn't exactly characterize your gemming as stacking stamina. Stamina is pretty efficient as far as gemming goes, and of course stamina is a great stat to stack so it's a pretty natural fit. Your gems seem fine to me. There are some small tweaks you could do like enchanting the shield with defense then gemming those bracers with stamina, but really that's just going to get you more stam. I wouldn't really worry about the comment.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dabrixmgp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:00 am

I have dropped Blacksmithing even though it shows gloves/bracers as being BS socketed I dont think I get the bonuses from the gems.
Dabrixmgp

Postby Vorianloken » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 am

Dabrixmgp wrote:I have dropped Blacksmithing even though it shows gloves/bracers as being BS socketed I dont think I get the bonuses from the gems.

why did you drop BS.

AFAIK BS/JC are the best combo professions for a tank but generally mining/BS and mining/JC work well too
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Dabrixmgp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:56 am

Vorianloken wrote:
Dabrixmgp wrote:I have dropped Blacksmithing even though it shows gloves/bracers as being BS socketed I dont think I get the bonuses from the gems.

why did you drop BS.

AFAIK BS/JC are the best combo professions for a tank but generally mining/BS and mining/JC work well too

Wanted another alchemist bot lol. Since I would never have time to mine with the instant queues I just went alchemy.
Dabrixmgp

Postby Wrathy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:23 pm

As a tank Alchemy is a great second profession to complement Jewelcrafting. It gives you about the same stamina as blacksmithing, and at the same time, it saves you costs on flasks, because of Mixology and the double duration.

As for stacking stamina, as long as you are maintaining the 540 defense minimum, there is nothing wrong with stacking stamina gems in every slot save your meta activation, as it will give you more effective health. Avoidance and gemming to socket bonuses is ok for content that isnt cutting edge, as you will be more balanced, however if you are looking to create a gear set which maximizes survival, stamina is the way to go.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Wrathy wrote:there is nothing wrong with stacking stamina gems in every slot

Who are you and what have you done with Wrathy.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:43 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:

I hear Ghostcrawler killed Wrathy when he announced the Chill of the Throne debuff...
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 pm

There's nothing wrong with full stamina, but it isn't bad to match a socket bonus here or there either if the bonus is stamina.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Vorianloken » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Wrathy wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Who are you and what have you done with Wrathy.

I hear Ghostcrawler killed Wrathy when he announced the Chill of the Throne debuff...

:(
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby lythac » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:29 am

Wrathy wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:

Got a parse on that?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Platino » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 am

@OP:

It really depends on where your gear is at. As a new 80, you likely don't have a whole lot of avoidance on your gear. That makes gemming for all stam less than ideal. On my tanks, I have waiting until my avoidance is reasonable (dodge-26/27%, parry-19/20%) before ignoring socket bonuses in favor of stamina. I still have exceptions. If a socket bonus is +9 stam or more and is only one off-blue slot, I will generally match the socket. It seems silly to me to lose out on 10 of one stat in exchange for 4 stamina.
Platino - Paladin (Prot/Prot) - Argent Dawn
Gauu - Hunter (Survival) - Argent Dawn
Greysonn - Warrior (Prot/Arms) - Argent Dawn
Duncann - Paladin (Prot/Holy) - Argent Dawn
Kharaa - Mage (Arcane) - Argent Dawn
Platino

Postby Loras » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 am

Platino wrote:It seems silly to me to lose out on 10 of one stat in exchange for 4 stamina.

It's 6 stamina :)
Loras

Postby Dravan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 am

I personally stack stamia (providing I am def capped) however if the bonus is +9 or +12 stam and it is 1 red 1 blue slot I tend to use +10 agility + 15 stam for the bonus (as agility gives armour anyway so its still something I whore). However I am tanking in ICC where its more important to go for stam and armour, for heroics I would say avoidance is just as good as stam. Its all relevent to the where.
Dravan

Postby badgermonkey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am

Dabrixmgp wrote:I have only been a tank for a week because I just hit 80 last Saturday. Tonight healer made a smart ass comment saying something like i guess stacking stamina isnt all that great. I thought you were supposed to gem sta. Here is my armory below. I know my gear isnt the greatest, since like I said I hit 80 last weekend, but I think its decent.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Lilicia

I don't even meet 9 stamina bonuses, I know some other tanks are the same.

It seems you've upgraded a lot since your OP, but I'm going to call you out on something anyway ;)

The gem you're using in your head, 10 parry/10 defense... really? I mean.... really?
badgermonkey

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents