Remove Advertisements

New to raid tanking with Pally

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New to raid tanking with Pally

Postby edjahman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Ive raid tanked a little here and there. VoA before koralon, I know, ancient history LOL. OT'd Naxx 10 a few times. OT'd OS 10 a few times. Not much else TBH. Ive done some of the old raid raids too...Kara etc. Ive spent endless hours reading guides and forums and everything possible to help me be a good tank. Ive tanked all of the heroics many many times until my eyes bled. I dont really believe that using the random LFG tool has helped me tank better because of the way people act. If people acted like that in a raid environment it would definately fail. Running heroics back in BC were so much different thats for sure. :==}

Basically Im way too intimidated pugging raids because of the very large amount of people that either want you to outgear it completely and/or know every single thing and never ever make any kind of mistake at all. I really try hard to not make mistakes but I suppose im human after all.

My "dream" is to raid tank someday.

I am currently guildless.

I just want to know how some of you started out and broke into the raiding scene? Im guessing that whatever guild you were in gave you a chance and wasnt so harsh as a pug group. I want to break into raid tanking but I dont want to ruin it for the rest of the group. I would like to be remembered by the community as someone who is at good at their job.

TY for your advice. I link my armory but I dont really think that it matters much as far as this subject is concerned. Yes I know I have 2 brewfest trinkets....I have other trinkets, I was just going for max stam. :==}

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&cn=Stellableu
edjahman

Re: New to raid tanking with Pally

Postby beornus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:26 pm

There is potential pain involved but the best way for a new tank to get guilded is running Heroics, pugging raids and doing well. Other than that ask around for who needs a tank and chat with some of the members, get a feel for whether you want to guild with them and try to get a trial period running in raids.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Doogiehowser » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Beo is right in that heroics is probably your best bet since you seem to be new to the game and might not have a plethora of contacts to work with.

I would begin to perfect your heroic tanking. It's amazing how many "ZOMG I LOVE YOU AND YER TANKIN STYLZ, COME JOIN ME GUILD" when you can be like the terminator and just annihilate everything.

A well played tank without a guild tag in heroics is a great way to advertise your services for the next step.

Don't be quick to jump at the first offer though. Make sure the guild is what you want.
Doogiehowser

Postby Vorianloken » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Run heroics with people on your server. Try to organize the lower end raids like naxx10/os10/voa10 and what not - naxx10 when its weekly of course... it will all help you to make contacts like was mentioned before.

Browse the realm forums... see if guilds need tanks and are willing to help you gear up and learn as well (that's a must).

Most of all though, if you really want to get on the raiding scene for ToC25/ICC then make sure that you invest well into your toon... you have to be seen to be making an effort for guilds to prefer you over other people. This usually comes in the form of right spec/glyphs, epic gems in 232 or higher gear, good and sensible enchants and knowing the encounters well.

Other than that, don't really know what to tell you. I started raiding as a holy pally over a year ago and the guild I was in allowed me to go prot now and then for our naxx10 runs which is how I started tanking :)
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby edjahman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the replys.

Take Care
edjahman

Postby Boyfriend » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 am

Many 25 man guilds will also need extra tanks for 10 mans, since 25 man raids need much less tanks than 2 10 mans which they will need if their dps/healers want to do 10 mans.

If you have decent holy/retribution gear it's very viable to join a guild as healing/ret mainspec and tank their 10 mans; this will also put you in a situation where you're under less pressure since them 'main' thing for these guilds is the 25 mans.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 am

I agree with the poster above. Having a second spec that performs a different role than your mainspec is looked at very favorably by a very huge majority of raiding guilds.

- Only need 2 tanks for a fight instead of 3? Which tank has the best dps offspec?
- We have a healer missing today... one of the tank's with a good healing offspec wanna switch?

stuff like that.

Not to mention, imo, having a different role as offspec helps break the general monotony that can set in after performing a certain role for a while.

The downside is just that you have to maintain that second set and try to keep it at par.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Playdoh » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 am

if you role on offspec loot in the 25 man group I am with, then you are expected to be able to use said loot, just as well as you do your main spec loot.

And having dual spec really does allow guilds to have fewer players and still be more well rounded.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents