Remove Advertisements

Inherited a pally

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Inherited a pally

Postby Morbia » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Hello folks

Please be gentle with a first time user :)

I am a guild leader of a small casual raiding guild and our server is suffering a tank shortage. As a consquence our MT and Raid Leader has been lured away to a more hardcore guild and I am left trying to fill the void. To try and keep things going I was going to use a 80 pally on my other account that was levelled by my ex boyfriend and hasnt been played in about 6 months and consequently I have never played until now..(all I have done is 2 normals and sex changed him to a she! - hated the beard!!!)
I play a rogue/priest/shaman and have never played pally. I was considering gearing this pally up via heroics and trying to pick up how to do the basics of pally tanking but I have always been anti ' E-bayers' as I think you do need to go up the levels with a character to fully appreciate all the nuances.
I am more than willing to do the research and have been climbing all over this site the last few days so am not trying to circumnavigate the 'basic training' but more a general question out there to pallydom.
Do people think I will be able to make a reasonable tank in a fairly quick time or do people that 'inherit' 80's never really quite get it.?

If you want to have a laugh at my sucky pally her name is Aileene and she is on Chamber of Aspects EU. :)

I would appreciate a general comment on if you think its doable and any pointers if you feel like giving them - I already know I suck :)

Many thanks folks!
Morbia

Re: Inherited a pally

Postby Calleana » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:27 pm

In my experience as a fairly casual raid guild most people who have levelled need to relearn major aspects of their class upon hitting 80. You have an advantage over them, you presumably know how to move out of fire & have a vague understanding of the threat mechanics. I do have to warn you that tanking heroics is not hugely like tanking raids but it does teach you about what panick buttons to hit so is worth doing for experience as well as gear.

The best place to go to start with is the basic faq, plow through some of the old questions in this forum the liklihood is that someone else has already asked. Don't venture into the advanced faq etc. too early it is a little daunting. Gem & enchant following the excellent guide here & you will be well away. Good luck!
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Zobel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:33 pm

If you hate beards, then changing to a female dwarf probably isn't far enough.
Zobel

Postby Morbia » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks for the helpful response Calleana. I will take it step by step and ensure the spec is right in the first instance, find a basic rotation that wont cause my brain to melt and then build on gear/gems. I spend hours on EJ for my rogue so I will just have to learn to rein it in a bit so I dont suffer pally meltdown :)
I will keep my 'training' runs in guild for now - can you imagine the pugs!! omg :)I might just end up being the most Vote Kicked player ever..

And Zobel - Aileene uses Immac ;)
Morbia

Postby Barathorn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

My advice would be to get used to the mechanics and then run Karazhan. It won't challenge you as a character but it will give you,

1/ situational awareness - where to stand etc for pulls and to see how mobs react froma tank perspective.
2/ experiance - how to pull and hold the targets where you need to hold them for your dps.

Treat it as a proper raid, get the experiance and then move into WotLk raids.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby econ21 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:06 am

I suspect many, perhaps most, tanks levelled up as dps (ret for pallies) and then switched spec to tanking towards the end. So I am not sure you are that disadvantaged. The main thing for me was learning to tank in a supportive (ie guild runs) environment. Being subject to the scorn of PUGs is not fun. Doing some random heroics with guild members might be a quick way to get up to speed. Presumably they want their daily emblem of frosts and having you tank should liven things up for them. :wink:

To be honest, there is not a lot to getting to be a competent tank and you probably know the fundamentals from your raiding already. In the context of Wotlk heroics, almost all the pulls are just barreling through. What I typically do is:

(0) Be running with SoV (with glyph), devotion aura and blessing of sanctity. Bless kings on all party unless they request otherwise.
(1) Mark skull
(2) Press divine plea (for mana regen with glyph)
(3) Run into the mobs, pulling skull with hand of reckoning
(4) Use AOE moves to quickly lock down all the mobs: avenger's shield, consecration and [edit]Hammer of the righteous (glyphed to hit 4)
(5) Try to settle into the 969 rotation (although time often makes it unnecessary) interweaving judge, Shield of righteousness and holy shield with some of the AOE moves you opened with (HoR and consecration).

That is usually enough to get threat on the trash (or boss). But if things get out of hand, use hand of reckoning to taunt a loose mob and use righteous defence on a party member (esp. healer) being ganged up on.

I am not sure there is much more too it in Wotlk heroics - the boss strategies may occasionally require some specific action by the tank. But with trash, the main point is to make sure all mobs are hitting me - gear and party members will take care of the rest. I've found the threatplates addon quite nice for helping me check the mobs are on me.

Once you have done a few runs with guild members, you'll probably be willing to PUG the daily random alone - although I confess, I am finding it increasingly frustrating.
Last edited by econ21 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
econ21

Postby Metherlance » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 am

econ21 wrote:(4) Use AOE moves to quickly lock down all the mobs: avenger's shield, consecration and Hand of reckoning (glyphed to hit 4)
(5) Try to settle into the 969 rotation (although time often makes it unnecessary) interweaving judge, Shield of righteousness and holy shield with some of the AOE moves you opened with (HoR and consecration).

Just wanted to clarify, econ meant Hammer of the Righteous instead of Hand of Reckoning (HoR). :) Don't want to confuse her more than needed.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I usually lurk these forums ~8 hours a day while I'm working, and since we have a quiet phase here at work now, I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have. :)

Welcome to the tankadin community and have fun learning! It really ain't that hard it may seem at first!
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Morbia » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:07 am

you guys rock pally style ;)

Many thanks for the useful and prompt responses

Have taken all your suggestions on board and will be spending the next few days on a self induced pally boot camp!
Morbia

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:26 am

Barathorn wrote:My advice would be to get used to the mechanics and then run Karazhan. It won't challenge you as a character but it will give you,

1/ situational awareness - where to stand etc for pulls and to see how mobs react froma tank perspective.
2/ experiance - how to pull and hold the targets where you need to hold them for your dps.

Treat it as a proper raid, get the experiance and then move into WotLk raids.

Barathorn

I think Kara made an excellent training ground that made people just plain better raiders. Sadly, all that good work was undone by the lolraiderness of Naxx.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:43 am

Morbia wrote:you guys rock pally style ;)

Many thanks for the useful and prompt responses

Have taken all your suggestions on board and will be spending the next few days on a self induced pally boot camp!

Also, if you're really looking to get yourself into a good vibe tanking - pick up some helpful friends/guildies... namely a healer and a DPS... go to karazhan, old heroics, level 60 raids, etc...

have them do everything they can to randomly pull extra mobs/packs, taunt off you (dk/warrior/pally/druid DPS or heals for this) and generally do everything you don't want tanks to do while you're in a level 80 raid... in level 60 stuff especially like MC and ZG - pulling an extra mob won't kill them if it takes you a while to pick it up, but you learn really well how to watch their bars/threat and see what's going on

This is the way I try to teach new people to tank... had a friend do this for me and it really helped a lot - I was on my warrior and he would put on righteous fury, run in and consecrate a pack, then yell at me to get aggro until I did...

Have them do things like wait until you have a mob pulled to where you want it, then they go pull another mob without telling you and see how long you take to pick it up.

Also, I tend to recommend grid - even for a tank - or some addon you can look at and see who has aggro (pretty sure there's an option in xperl for this) it helps a ton - when you are tanking 5-10 mobs on some aoe pull - having to click or tab to target a mob to taunt is annoying, much easier to just target the person and taunt that way...

Happy tanking!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Calleana » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:10 am

Morbia wrote:I will keep my 'training' runs in guild for now - can you imagine the pugs!! omg :)I might just end up being the most Vote Kicked player ever..

I agree keep them in guild for now but once you feel a bit more confident try pugging heroics or some of the easier raids. I am generally of the opinion that pugging helps you to be on top of you game; while guildies will forgive you when they die due to the dragon beating on their head, pugs will not & I find this kind of pressure forces me to focus.

The other thing to remember that the new Lfg tool greatly rewards tanks for being tanks you have almost no waiting around until a party is formed!
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 pm

econ21 wrote:(2) Press divine plea (for mana regen with glyph)
(4) Use AOE moves to quickly lock down all the mobs: avenger's shield, consecration and [edit]Hammer of the righteous (glyphed to hit 4)

Nitpick: specced divine plea, not glyphed :)

I would also advice against glyphing HotR in the learning phase. It´s not a glyph you´ll be using a lot when raiding, so you might as well get used to your cleave "only" hitting three targets.

Amusingly, if you really want a crash-course in aoe-tanking, borrow a warrior. Nothing teaches you situational awareness and spreading the love like plunging into the nightmare that is warrior tanking.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents