Remove Advertisements

Rotation Question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Rotation Question

Postby edjahman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:23 am

Hi. I have a kind of silly rotation question.

Sometimes when I am doing my 6969 rotation without consecrate, or possibly even with, I notice that Ill have either 2 "6" or 2 "9" abilities come off of cooldown in a row while Im still waiting for the other part of the rotation to come off of cooldown. So I will wind up just doing either 2 "6" 's in a row or 2 "9"'s. Should I strictly wait for the other ability to come off of cooldown or is it sometimes Ok to vary my rotation a little because Im waiting for cooldowns? I hope you can understand what I am talking about. If not I can try to elaborate. I do not have glyph of consecrate and I have 1/2 points in Imp Judgements just in case you might be wondering.

Thank You and Good Day

EJM
edjahman

Re: Rotation Question

Postby vertinog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:40 am

I think you are doing the rotation wrong then. When I use to play my pally I never had 2 9's or 2 6's in a row. With cons there are 3 9 second abilities and 2 6 second ones. You should be nailing a 9 then a 6 then a 9 then a 6 then a 9 back to the first 6 and so on. Could you post a link to your armory so others here can take a look and see if there is something fishy with your spec?
vertinog

Postby cyphirx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:48 am

I think it'll all depend on what point you're at in your rotation and if you put in a filler spell. I've seen it happen on mine once or twice, but that's because I drop in a Holy Wrath or HoW while also avoiding Consecrate. Others will probably say otherwise, but if you have a big threat-lead, do whatever you want really. As long as you don't let your stacks fall off you should be alright.
cyphirx

Postby Ljtibs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:07 am

I am new to the paladin tanking also.

I have noticed when stuff is going nuts and I am spending more time Rounding up loose mobs, LoHing the healer, BoPing people etc i will lose my rotation. I usually just wait for everything to line up properly and start back up. I keep Holy Shield up no matter what (makes me take less dmg + helps with the mana). So if my rotation is way out of wack I will just wait for Holy Shield to pop back up, hit that and then start my rotation fresh. 9696_69696 (i usually skip consecrate in 5 mans b/c i tend to run out of mana a lot and I seem to not need it for agro). If your CDs are lined up you should just have a 1.5 sec wait where the _ is while waiting for the GCD on HoR or ShoR. I also use this open slot to weave in Divine Plea etc that will take 1 GCD.

I am not sure if some of the seasoned Vets do it this way also. Feedback from them would be nice. =)
Ljtibs

Postby cyphirx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

Hmm, an honest question here, but you'd potentially wait 3-4.5 seconds for holy shield if you got knocked off your rotation?

To make my life easier, I made a click-through transparent bar with Bartender and put my rotation along with Divine Plea right under my toon that let's me minimize eye movement for our rotation. If I get lost on where I was on my rotation, I can look down a little bit, see what's off cooldown or is about to and start right back into it.
cyphirx

Postby Ljtibs » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 am

cyphirx wrote:Hmm, an honest question here, but you'd potentially wait 3-4.5 seconds for holy shield if you got knocked off your rotation?

If I have good agro etc. Ya I will wait. I do 5 mans only with my palidan. Im not in a 5 man to be a DPSer Im a tank. So as long as they are stuck to me its a non issue. Then the rotation is back to the way I want it. I have tried to space the ones that are off by 1gcd but usually i end up spacing them too much or too little, then It will take more than one rotation to get everything synced up... Potentially losing 6sec max is not that much in the scheme of things.
Ljtibs

Postby Ballador » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 am

Ljtibs wrote:
cyphirx wrote:Hmm, an honest question here, but you'd potentially wait 3-4.5 seconds for holy shield if you got knocked off your rotation?

If I have good agro etc. Ya I will wait. I do 5 mans only with my palidan. Im not in a 5 man to be a DPSer Im a tank. So as long as they are stuck to me its a non issue. Then the rotation is back to the way I want it. I have tried to space the ones that are off by 1gcd but usually i end up spacing them too much or too little, then It will take more than one rotation to get everything synced up... Potentially losing 6sec max is not that much in the scheme of things.

Having good agro is all fine and good, but I'm with cyphirx there is really no reason to wait that long to get your rotation back on track. So even if the last 2 abilities you used were both your 6s pick a 9s then you will only need to wait 1.5s before one of your 6s is ready to go and just like that your back on track, there’s no need to wait for Holy Shield to line up.

But to your original question, if you are not dropping Cons from your rotation then at no point should any of your CDs line up. With extreme latency you may find some that are not off CD yet when you need them. If you are dropping cons from your rotation then yes eventually they will line up and the best thing to do is nothing unless you want to use a different ability but always keep your 6s CD separated and you shouldn’t have any problems
Ballador

Postby edjahman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:11 am

Ok so heres my rotation....Hor>Judge>SoR>H Shield>HoR....then thats when neither Judge or H Shield is up. Judge comes up first, so thats what I wait for usually or sometimes Ill hit another 6 second ability if Im impatient. Obviously there is no consecrate in that rotation. I try to lay off the consecrate in 5 mans tbh. Here is an armory link. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&cn=Stellableu

Thank you for your replies.
edjahman

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:02 am

if you are dropping cons from your rotation, then just wait the 1.5 sec and hit your next 6, or hit a filler spell to take that GCD
by jumping straight to the 6, your going to upset your rotation

my standard rotation (read the one my fingers do on their own) is HS, HoR, Judge, ShoR, cons or filler, HS (it is just coming off CD)

as long as you keep HS up, and judge and SoV stacks up, youll be fine

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Basic Training & Talents