seeking a little help

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

seeking a little help

Postby Jorell » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

So, I have finally registered here , after ages of trolling inconsistently. I have questions. Some assistance would be great.

I've always tanked on my paladin, but only recently has it been in the role of a main tank for a progression guild. Previously I just pugged my face off, as it was all that was available to me. I use Rawr to evaluate gear and gems, and while overall the recommendations seem solid, there's something in the back of my head that makes me second guess the Rawr "optimize" feature, and it's gemming choices. Currently it's slotting defense in everywhere it can. I was under the impression that EH was the prevailing path for ICC progression, requiring a prot paladin to stack stamina. I try to achieve a balance between my threat/avoidance/HP. I have zero threat issues currently, but the future may change that and I want to squeeze everything I can out of my current gear/gem/enchants.

Through my tours of posts in theory crafting I've seen 'theck' graphs of defense, dodge, parry for diminishing returns. I cannot seem to find them again. What I'm really looking for is the values where the curve for stacking defense, dodge and parry start to flatten out. I understand that parry has steeper diminishing returns than dodge and defense, but at what point does parry really fall off. Same questions for defense and dodge. Recalling the graph I have seen my conclusion was that additional defense is never bad because it's always worth more than dodge. Additionally I would like to factor agility into the equation because of the threat through crit it offers.

thank you for any help you can offer

Jorell

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lothar&cn=Jorell
Jorell

Re: seeking a little help

Postby Arcand » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Hey,

Here is a collection of many of Theck's plots and analyses, so you can decide where those breakpoints are.

I've never used Rawr on my tankadin; I'll take a look at what it says about me and that might give us some insight into how it's trying to gear.

Edit: It's encouraging me to take defense gems, so either it has a "stack defense" rule that doesn't cut out at 540 (I'm at 559) or it has a really high regard for avoidance in all its forms. I think we can state confidently that it's not stacking effective health.
Arcand

Re: seeking a little help

Postby blakk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Arcand wrote:Hey,

Here is a collection of many of Theck's plots and analyses, so you can decide where those breakpoints are.

I've never used Rawr on my tankadin; I'll take a look at what it says about me and that might give us some insight into how it's trying to gear.

Edit: It's encouraging me to take defense gems, so either it has a "stack defense" rule that doesn't cut out at 540 (I'm at 559) or it has a really high regard for avoidance in all its forms. I think we can state confidently that it's not stacking effective health.

you can make rawr value effective health more through the sliders in the config tabs for threat and mitigation. Slide them to the left to focus more on eh and to the right to focus more on threat or avoidance/mitigation.
blakk

Return to Basic Training & Talents