Remove Advertisements

Gear/Threat/TPS and Starting Heroics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Gear/Threat/TPS and Starting Heroics

Postby dandenoth » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:04 pm

So, long story, I tried a heroic in gear that was basic tank gear, Crafted stuff, mix of blues/epics. Temepered Titansteel Helm, Bolstered Legplates, Red Sword of Courage, Titansteel Shield Wall, and Bracers of the Herald made up my epics, then had Refined Ore Gloves, Saronite Bracers, and my chest, cloak, and boots were the Wyrmrest Accord faction blues. My trinks were my DPS ones, as I had no tank ones, mirror of truth and the banner of victory.

My Defense was at 540, Dodge a little over 17%, Parry about 16%, and Block was 12 or 13. Anyways, I failed terribly at tanking my first try at a heroic, couldn't hold aggro. I was doing the 969 rotation, starting off with a Captain America.

My question is this: Is my lack of holding threat due to being seriously outgeared by the DPS? They pushed about 3 - 4k dps each. Or is it because I'm not starting pulls right, marking targets, or because as I just realized, only focusing on one of the mobs at a time? I now have Essence of Gossamer, if that makes any differnce, and have two ilvl 235 set pieces from triumph badges, gloves and shoulders.
dandenoth

Re: Gear/Threat/TPS and Starting Heroics

Postby blakk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 pm

part of it is probably your gear difference between you and dps and part of it is your lazyness. unless you use Seal of Command you'll have a hard time when dps out gear you and won't wait for you before they expload things. ask people to give you some extra time for threat and if you don't have seal of command grab it.
blakk

Postby dandenoth » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:16 am

Well, I got it figured out, I guess. Grabbed the gloves and shoulders in the triumph badge set, gemmed and enchanted, and suddenly had a thought. I just switched to Prot, so I just learned the spells... I went to visit the neighborhood trainer, and sure enough, had to train some levels in a bunch of spells! Once that was done, I was about 30k health, and I tried some heroics. Tanked ToC and FoS without a hitch, just need a bit more stam as I get kinda low on HP at times and it makes me nervous.
dandenoth

Postby econ21 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 am

I am glad you seem to have cracked it. Just a couple of points:

You mentioned marking targets - do you mean that you don't do that? If you aren't, then do skull something, maybe X the second kill. I would not rely on a PUG to attack your target otherwise. And if the dps are attacking what you are not, you will lose aggro.

Also, I would not start off a pull with avenger's shield. It will slow down the mobs getting to you and so slow down your attacks, while the ranged dps start to stack up threat. Generally, I would run in with hand of reckoning and cast avenger's shield when they are on you. I also tend to use consecration and hammer of righteous (I gylph it so it hits 4 targets) rather soon into the fight before getting into the 9696 rotation - to make sure I have the mobs I am not attacking locked down early.
econ21

Return to Basic Training & Talents