Remove Advertisements

Gear and gems and some advice

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Gear and gems and some advice

Postby lucem » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:01 am

hello im a relatively new tank, been tanking for a bit over a month maybe. So theres a lot of stuff i dont know very well, here is i was hoping for someone to enlighten me.

Im sitting on triumph gear and some t9, and i dont have any idea how to gem it properly. Do i want dodge or agility, strength or stamina? And im in a dylema. I have like 564 defense, but idk if i should keep my seal of pantheon trinket or maybe change it. I dont have access to any raids higher than ony and i havent gotten the head. So my next posible switch in trinket are would be the valour medal of the first war. But that drops my defense to like 551, is that acceptable as a tradeoff? do i want more defense after 540? or is more dodge better? or is situational.

Anyway here is my armory link, hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&cn=Lucem
User avatar
lucem
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby Arcand » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

What do you hope to tank next? If you don't have any raiding prospects, piling on defense and block value will allow you to destroy heroics even better than you do now. If you start raiding tough stuff, you'll probably want to shift your gems away from dodge/defense and toward stamina so you can absorb those big shots.

Enchant those bracers! :)
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby lucem » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 pm

im normally tanking the heroics for the frosts and some triumphs, some naxx, some ulduar and im starting some ToCr all of these in the 10 man mode. Trial of the Crusader i havent done yet but im planning to try it in the short run
User avatar
lucem
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby phaqueue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 am

If you're running heroics... defense/strength/block value will all do nicely...

If you're raiding - you want to get to 540 and stack stam/armor/str in that order... (agi is nice for enchant slots where you can't get the above - see the gemming/enchanting guide in the gear forums for more help here)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
User avatar
phaqueue
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby Pannacea » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:58 am

I am you 3-4 weeks ago, look where i am now. Gem epic stam, start running ICC you can do it easily, i had doubts but once i went in there everything was fine. Run PoS for the sword ( last boss ), get the cape with frost emblems.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Pannacea
Pannacea
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby lucem » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Pannacea wrote:I am you 3-4 weeks ago, look where i am now. Gem epic stam, start running ICC you can do it easily, i had doubts but once i went in there everything was fine. Run PoS for the sword ( last boss ), get the cape with frost emblems.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Pannacea


now you've touched a nice topic. I already have 50 emblems but am deciding if i want to get the cloack or the belt. Both would be good upgrades for me at the current time. So i was looking for some advice in that area.

I already have rimefangs claw but im currently using liars tongue, my defense without rimefang is already at 567 and the agility of the liars tongue gives me almost the same dodge and some armour, but with some critical rating.

And the other question is can i venture into ICC with only 34200? ill have more HP with the belt or the cloack but around 35k tops
User avatar
lucem
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby Arcand » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:11 pm

lucem wrote:And the other question is can i venture into ICC with only 34200? ill have more HP with the belt or the cloack but around 35k tops


Our alternate tank has almost exactly that much. He's tanked the ten-man incarnations of Marrowgar, Deathwhisper, whoever the horde guy on the gunship is, Saurfang, Rotface (no kills yet) and Festergut with 0, 1 and 2 inhales.

Edit: Last night he handled Festergut with 3 inhales. Had a few scary moments, but doesn't everybody.
Arcand
Moderator
 
Posts: 4525
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:15 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby Pannacea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:36 am

lucem wrote:
Pannacea wrote:I am you 3-4 weeks ago, look where i am now. Gem epic stam, start running ICC you can do it easily, i had doubts but once i went in there everything was fine. Run PoS for the sword ( last boss ), get the cape with frost emblems.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Pannacea


now you've touched a nice topic. I already have 50 emblems but am deciding if i want to get the cloack or the belt. Both would be good upgrades for me at the current time. So i was looking for some advice in that area.

I already have rimefangs claw but im currently using liars tongue, my defense without rimefang is already at 567 and the agility of the liars tongue gives me almost the same dodge and some armour, but with some critical rating.

And the other question is can i venture into ICC with only 34200? ill have more HP with the belt or the cloack but around 35k tops



If you regem epics stam and just gem what is needed for meta, get the cloak first, belt after ( thats' what i did anyway )you will be a bit higher, add sanctuary and raid buffs, you will be ok. Start by bein OT, build up your confidence and experience, then you can push for the MT spot. If u can run Ulduar, you can do that easily and get some stam upgrades for sure.
Pannacea
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby lucem » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 pm

ive gotten the cloack and a ring which put me 35.9k. But it appears my hit rating is too low. Could anyone help me with this concept? How much hit rating should i have? is this the reason why some of my taunts are resisted?
User avatar
lucem
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Gear and gems and some advice

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:17 am

lucem wrote:ive gotten the cloack and a ring which put me 35.9k. But it appears my hit rating is too low. Could anyone help me with this concept? How much hit rating should i have? is this the reason why some of my taunts are resisted?


I tanked ToTGC with 0 hit, I have something like 55 hit now. It is all based off of personal preference, but you do not NEED hit to do your job as a tank, it just helps you push some more threat and ensure taunts land. You have two taunts so it should never be too much of a problem. If you are afraid that missing a taunt is the difference between a kill and a wipe, then glyph for RD.

To answer your second question, the lack of hit is the reason that your taunts are missing.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Image
Wrathy
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm


Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?