Remove Advertisements

Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

Postby nwalya » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 am

Hi

Started tanking a few days ago. So far I'm okay with small packs, but when there are 4+ mobs I'm having trouble holding aggro on them. Any advice? I have the HoR glyph.

One thing in particular is regaining aggro on mobs who run off to attack ranged DPS, especially when 2+ of them peel off at once. Whats the best way to regain threat on them? Is it HoP or HoR? Are there any macros people use?

I'm also having some trouble with mana. I'm tanking instances I outgear (my GearScore score is around 3K and I'm cutting my teeth in normal UK). Should I start tanking without pants/shoes so SA returns more mana? (I'm already 2/2)
nwalya
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

nwalya wrote:Started tanking a few days ago. So far I'm okay with small packs, but when there are 4+ mobs I'm having trouble holding aggro on them. Any advice? I have the HoR glyph.


An armory link to see your spec, and your choices of gear and glyphs would help.
nwalya wrote:One thing in particular is regaining aggro on mobs who run off to attack ranged DPS, especially when 2+ of them peel off at once. Whats the best way to regain threat on them? Is it HoP or HoR? Are there any macros people use?


If one runs away you should have no problem using a Hand of Reck to pick him back up, If more than one run away, use RD to taunt them off the player who pulled. If you are constantly having packs that are quite large, and your dps is straight AoEing, then you can tab target through the mobs as you attack to build more threat on each of them. Also if you don't already do this, use the enemy nameplates, it makes selecting a run away mob very easy.

nwalya wrote:I'm also having some trouble with mana. I'm tanking instances I outgear (my GearScore score is around 3K and I'm cutting my teeth in normal UK). Should I start tanking without pants/shoes so SA returns more mana? (I'm already 2/2)


You should never have to take ANY gear off to tank, if you are running out of mana there are two things you can do, first, pull more mobs, if that doesn't work or your gear does not allow you to take on any more, drink after pulls, we have the smallest mana pool of any class in the game it takes 3 seconds to fill up. For reference and explanation, I have over a 5900 gear score and I don't run out of mana often.

Also, 2/2 spiritual attunement is overkill. You should not need that. 1/2 is plenty. If you are still plagued with mana issues, drop consecrate out of your rotation if you are tanking 3 or less mobs, it will make all the difference in the world.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Image
Wrathy
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

Postby nwalya » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks Wrathy!

I just learned about Threatplates here today. I'm sure it'll help with tab targetting the right mob.

My Armory link is here:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Nwalya
nwalya
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

Postby Honiora » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Your spec isn't cookie-cutter, but doesn't seem braindead either. Unless you're majorly joking around with your rotation you should be fine. One thing I noticed—especially while gearing up my DK tank alt—is that DPS often manage their threat by exception; that is, they'll back off if they pull or die, and generally not before that. (Which is what they should do, I guess.) Couple that with the possibility of being thrown in a group with high ilvl folks and you can really have a fun and interesting time just keeping mobs glued to you. It can help to ask the DPS to single-target until you've got a threat lead, depending on how non-jerky they are.
Honiora
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Fresh tank questions-- macros + mana

Postby Aedh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 am

Honiora wrote:Your spec isn't cookie-cutter, but doesn't seem braindead either. Unless you're majorly joking around with your rotation you should be fine. One thing I noticed—especially while gearing up my DK tank alt—is that DPS often manage their threat by exception; that is, they'll back off if they pull or die, and generally not before that. (Which is what they should do, I guess.) Couple that with the possibility of being thrown in a group with high ilvl folks and you can really have a fun and interesting time just keeping mobs glued to you. It can help to ask the DPS to single-target until you've got a threat lead, depending on how non-jerky they are.

Or just randomly HoP physical DPS :D
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am
Location: Tacoma, WA


Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?