Remove Advertisements

Mind critiquing?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Mind critiquing?

Postby EdCrusher » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:58 pm

So far I've loved tanking more than the DPSing with my hunter. I think I've managed to build up a decent set of gear even though I don't get to raid much (new babies put a damper on raiding). I've successfully tanked ICC10 through Saurfang (man thats intense), but do you guys think I can tank ICC25?

Thanks

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... her&n=Azal

BYW the next frost item I'm looking at getting is the Skeleton key.
EdCrusher

Re: Mind critiquing?

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Think you'd need a bit more gear for the second wing, first wing might be fine, depends on the rest of your raid.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby EdCrusher » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 pm

I'm looking at getting the Pillars of Might crafted, any idea on what I should gem in them?
EdCrusher

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am

EdCrusher wrote:I'm looking at getting the Pillars of Might crafted, any idea on what I should gem in them?

Stamina, stamina and more stamina. If you are looking to maximize your effective health by crafting or buying bonus armor pieces, then the only way to gem those pieces of gear is to augment them with more stamina. While stam stacking is only required for cutting edge progression, extending your TTL is never a bad thing. If you are looking to pick up your socket bonuses, i would suggest 10def/15 stamina and 10 agi/15 stamina, however it all depends on what you are looking to tank and when.

Reference Digren's gem and enchant guide in the Gear section for more information.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby EdCrusher » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:36 pm

Wrathy wrote:
EdCrusher wrote:I'm looking at getting the Pillars of Might crafted, any idea on what I should gem in them?

Stamina, stamina and more stamina. If you are looking to maximize your effective health by crafting or buying bonus armor pieces, then the only way to gem those pieces of gear is to augment them with more stamina. While stam stacking is only required for cutting edge progression, extending your TTL is never a bad thing. If you are looking to pick up your socket bonuses, i would suggest 10def/15 stamina and 10 agi/15 stamina, however it all depends on what you are looking to tank and when.

Reference Digren's gem and enchant guide in the Gear section for more information.

I ended up using a 10agil/15 stam, a Nightmare Tear, and stam. I had forgotten that I hadn't used a tear in my set and I figured that when I do the math I only lose 23 stam while gaining 20 agil, 10 str, and 10 int.
EdCrusher

Postby bashef » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 am

Wrathy wrote:

Stamina, stamina and more stamina

Seconded. I crafted these recently - the amount of effective health you get out of this is obscene, and for me blows the tier pieces out of the water. I do love the offset pieces this tier though, and got the badge chest (which was gemmed with a similarly one-dimensional philisophy) on the same grounds that masses of stamina and armour are too atractive to pass up for lackluster tier pieces and anemic set bonuses. Furthermore, the socket bonuses on these pieces are fairly weak because you have to match two non-blues to activate them, further supporting a blind stam-stacking philosophy.

EdCrusher wrote:I ended up using a 10agil/15 stam, a Nightmare Tear, and stam. I had forgotten that I hadn't used a tear in my set and I figured that when I do the math I only lose 23 stam while gaining 20 agil, 10 str, and 10 int.

There's a reason very few tanks will use the Tear. All the other stats are irrelevant, versus a 10Agi/15Stam gem you gain 10 str for 5 stam. Your call of course, but it's been a long time since I wished my tank gear had more str on for anything serious.
bashef

Postby Wrathy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:58 am

bashef wrote:
EdCrusher wrote:I ended up using a 10agil/15 stam, a Nightmare Tear, and stam. I had forgotten that I hadn't used a tear in my set and I figured that when I do the math I only lose 23 stam while gaining 20 agil, 10 str, and 10 int.

There's a reason very few tanks will use the Tear. All the other stats are irrelevant, versus a 10Agi/15Stam gem you gain 10 str for 5 stam. Your call of course, but it's been a long time since I wished my tank gear had more str on for anything serious.

I guess I am reading this wrong or I am confused, because he already activated his meta with the 10 Agi / 15 Stam gem. Why would you use a tear, your meta requires 1 red gem and 2 blue gems. Your red gem should always be satisfied by your helm spot because you have a 12 stam socket bonus and a red slot. If you are gearing for progression everything should be stamina. Tanks should never have to use a tear at all, and even if you are not gearing for progression gemming to fit the sockets should place you with a 10 defense/15 stam, 10 Agi/15 stam and 30 stam gem.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby EdCrusher » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 am

Ok Ok! I give!

BTW, the reason I didn't use a 10def/15stam is that I'm already way over the def cap.
EdCrusher

Postby bashef » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:40 am

Wrathy wrote:I guess I am reading this wrong or I am confused, because he already activated his meta with the 10 Agi / 15 Stam gem. Why would you use a tear, your meta requires 1 red gem and 2 blue gems. Your red gem should always be satisfied by your helm spot because you have a 12 stam socket bonus and a red slot. If you are gearing for progression everything should be stamina. Tanks should never have to use a tear at all, and even if you are not gearing for progression gemming to fit the sockets should place you with a 10 defense/15 stam, 10 Agi/15 stam and 30 stam gem.

No it's me who's reading it wrong - I saw the fact that he'd used the tear and blithely assumed it was for the red socket. And I quite agree - best bet is +30 stam in all sockets except the helm. If you really want to match them, it's def/stam for yellow and agi/stam for red.

Apologies for the confusion; in my defense I was ill and heavily medicated when I read this!
bashef

Postby Gamingdevil » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:49 pm

bashef wrote:
Wrathy wrote:I guess I am reading this wrong or I am confused, because he already activated his meta with the 10 Agi / 15 Stam gem. Why would you use a tear, your meta requires 1 red gem and 2 blue gems. Your red gem should always be satisfied by your helm spot because you have a 12 stam socket bonus and a red slot. If you are gearing for progression everything should be stamina. Tanks should never have to use a tear at all, and even if you are not gearing for progression gemming to fit the sockets should place you with a 10 defense/15 stam, 10 Agi/15 stam and 30 stam gem.

No it's me who's reading it wrong - I saw the fact that he'd used the tear and blithely assumed it was for the red socket. And I quite agree - best bet is +30 stam in all sockets except the helm. If you really want to match them, it's def/stam for yellow and agi/stam for red.

Apologies for the confusion; in my defense I was ill and heavily medicated when I read this!

hit/stam for yellow sockets isn't out of the question either. If you're really pressed for hit and are way over the def minimum.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Return to Basic Training & Talents