Remove Advertisements

Dual Spec for a Tankadin??

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Dual Spec for a Tankadin??

Postby wakebord99 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 pm

So I'm about to ding 80, and I have already purchased dual spec. My primary spec is .. Prot of course, and my alt spec is Ret.

My objective with the character is to tank in hero dungeons, raid, PvE stuff basically. I hope to start my role through these instances as an alt tank until I get better gear and learn each fight well enough to lead the group. (yes I've read the posts about recommended gear and such for tanking)

The point of this thread is to identify either an alternate spec or alternate gear set that I can use to enhance my DPS while still using the majority of my higher quality tanking gear. I will spent the majority of my time/emblems leveling up the gear for my protection spec, but it would be nice to have an alter-ego that allows me to DPS and Tank at the same time with only swapping 6 items or so. I am usually #1 or 2 in DPS when running my daily LFG, but I'm sure that will change when i get to heroics with properly geared/experienced players as I only hit 12-1400 DPS as a 77 tank.

My ret spec focuses gear towards Strength, AP, and Crit. What if I just used 6 pieces of this gear set with my Prot Spec? or, what if I used my tanking gear (the majoritiy of it at-least) with a modified ret spec that focused on 1h weapon rather than a 2h weapon?

Just looking for some thoughts from people who may have tried something similar.
wakebord99

Re: Dual Spec for a Tankadin??

Postby Ills » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:39 pm

In my opnion, forget about it.

To do dps properly, it will take a completely different gear set, and if you joined my group as dps and were wearing any tanking gear, I would at best think you a little slow, or at worst, kick you.

If you are looking to increase your dps while tanking, you should probably wait, as your gear as a soon-to-be fresh 80 will not allow you to sacrifice any tanking stats, and better tanking gear will improve your dps by itself (more str, more BV, better weapon dps, etc.).
Every fight is like Sartura, only without the screaming and the dying.
Ills

Postby Detrimental » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Some of the higher end paladins on here have two protection specs: one for progression raiding and one that outputs as much damage as possible. However, I don't think this is necessary for you.

Once you hit 80, your main priority is making yourself uncrittable before you can think about tanking heroics. Crafted gear and some 80 dungeons should work to make you uncrittable and then once you start tanking heroics, gear is dumbly easy to obtain so once you get a few pieces of T9 and several pieces from the new dungeons, you should be able to start focusing on maximizing damage done.

For maximizing damage done, reach the hit cap (8% or ~263) and expertise soft cap (26 rating). After these, stack as much strength as possible. Spec and use Seal of Command while AoE tanking (nearly every one of our damage abilities can cause a proc). When doing heroics, my highest two sources of damage are SoComm procs and HotR (T7, T9, and T10 2pc all increase damage done by HotR). Using glyphs such as Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous will also increase your DPS in multi-mob (4+) tanking.

Overall, protection paladin dps is incredibly high with multi-mob tanking in a normal 0/53/18 spec. Don't be surprised to see yourself in the top 2 in any heroic.
Last edited by Detrimental on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Detrimental

Postby Zobel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:21 pm

If you aren't using your current secondary spec, you might as well pick up a second trash-dps prot spec. That way you can keep one spec for pure raid boss tanking (ds/dg, no SoComm; SoV glyph; etc.) and one for heroics (no ds/dg, SoComm, reckoning; HotR glyph; etc.).

If you are using your current secondary spec, just swap one point from conviction into SoComm and call it a day.
Zobel

Postby kysu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 am

Zobel wrote:If you aren't using your current secondary spec, you might as well pick up a second trash-dps prot spec. That way you can keep one spec for pure raid boss tanking (ds/dg, no SoComm; SoV glyph; etc.) and one for heroics (no ds/dg, SoComm, reckoning; HotR glyph; etc.).

If you are using your current secondary spec, just swap one point from conviction into SoComm and call it a day.

I did this, works well for me.
kysu

Postby wakebord99 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 am

I've learned so much about 'being an 80' since... well I became an 80 this weekend. Thank you all so much for your replies, you gave me exactly the help/info I was looking for.

I will likely start a new thread to help people like myself get off to a good start as they become an 80.
wakebord99

Postby Wrathy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

Detrimental wrote:...For maximizing damage done, reach the hit cap (8% or ~263) and expertise soft cap (24 rating).

The expertise soft cap is 26, not 24. That should be easily gained seeing as we have 16 from talents and a glyph
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Detrimental » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 am

Wrathy wrote:
Detrimental wrote:...For maximizing damage done, reach the hit cap (8% or ~263) and expertise soft cap (24 rating).

The expertise soft cap is 26, not 24. That should be easily gained seeing as we have 16 from talents and a glyph

Fixed. Thanks

Also, when considering heroics and trash mobs, maximizing DPS involves reaching the soft cap via gear alone as you'll be using SoComm so if you can, grab +expertise tanking items and have a set that caps you without relying on the glyph.
Detrimental

Postby wakebord99 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 pm

For someone else that may be wondering the same thing.. I would strongly recommend reading this post:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=21&t=26032&rb_v=viewtopic

What I was looking for was basically refered to as a 'Threat Set' in this post, and I'm sure could be combined with some tweeking in talent points to further increase DPS for an alt spec.

After reading this post, I will try to reach my Min 540 Defense and 35K health through Chest, Hand, Leg, Head, Shoulder, Shield pieces with their approriate enchantments/gems/etc.. Once I have reached that minimum I will try to have trinkets, rings, neck, weapons that are interchangable to focus on each of the differnt 'gear sets' that is refered to.
wakebord99

Return to Basic Training & Talents