Remove Advertisements

Mandatory 969?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Mandatory 969?

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:There is no timing to "get right". You send the server a "start exo", you send the server a "finishing exo" and then you send a "starting HoR and finishing HoR".

Hand of Reckoning is not on the GCD. The exorcism damage doesn't register until the cast ends, so you can cast HoR during the Exorcism cast and it will resolve first.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:34 pm

theckhd wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:There is no timing to "get right". You send the server a "start exo", you send the server a "finishing exo" and then you send a "starting HoR and finishing HoR".

Hand of Reckoning is not on the GCD. The exorcism damage doesn't register until the cast ends, so you can cast HoR during the Exorcism cast and it will resolve first.

DURING? Won't it interrupt the cast? Should it even go off while other stuff is being cast? What about, say, counterspell? I cannot cast it during, arcane blast's cast, for example. I have to do a stopcast. You're still lining them up.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:DURING? Won't it interrupt the cast? Should it even go off while other stuff is being cast? What about, say, counterspell? I cannot cast it during, arcane blast's cast, for example. I have to do a stopcast. You're still lining them up.

Hm.... I thought it would go off during the cast, but I just tested it on some critters and it doesn't work. Guess it only works with instant projectiles then.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Zobel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:34 am

Tried it yesterday in UK and it worked fine -- it didn't go off while exorcism was being cast, but the HoR damage component registered slightly earlier than the exo one. Maybe it's a byproduct of some of Blizzard's client/server latency kludges.

I'd rather keep the extra mobility from sticking with HoR --> captainamerica while running in, though.
Zobel

Postby twinkfist » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:00 pm

the only time i struggle with threat is hunters...drives me nuts.
twinkfist

Postby phaqueue » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:29 am

[quote="Zobel"]Tried it yesterday in UK and it worked fine -- it didn't go off while exorcism was being cast, but the HoR damage component registered slightly earlier than the exo one. Maybe it's a byproduct of some of Blizzard's client/server latency kludges.

I'd rather keep the extra mobility from sticking with HoR --> captainamerica while running in, though.[quote]

THIS

I really prefer not having to stop and cast just to pull a mob/pack - I will sometimes pull undead with exo for the guaranteed crit... but even that is pretty rare - most of the time you are just better off taunting and throwing frisbee while running... because you will close the gap faster... using the exo/taunt thing is akin to a warrior standing there and gun pulling every pull - instead of charging into the mobs... takes more time - and really doesn't seem to be a huge improvement...

on the original topic of 969 being mandatory...

I very rarely get into a good 969 in heroics but that mostly has to do with the fact that I outgear them... and I"m usually not only pulling a ton more mobs (and so having to break rotation to make sure they are picked up) but I also do more than enough damage to have no problem holding threat on any DPS I group with...

for raid bosses - I run with some friends who are from the top guild on the server... including a moonkin who sits around 7-9k routinely on bosses... and the only person I have trouble holding aggro from is my pally offtank (and that's his fault - you can't do more than your rotation - if you have an offtank - they usually will have to hold back a little at first to make sure you get enough threat to hold it... otherwise taunt fights tend to go badly...)

just my experience though - all the information here has been pretty dead on - and you should definitely be practicing 969 already - it'll save you a lot of headache later...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Daschla » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:02 pm

firstamendme wrote:I'm a big fan of hitting excorcism then spamming taunt while it casts. The taunt 'hits' first so you stil get the damage component. Then you toss a shield and afk for the duration.

^^ This is what I do to pull on bosses

make sure DP is up
AW
cast Exo
Just as the Exo cast is about to end I hit HoR
AS while running in
HotR
HS
SoR
Judge
HotR
Cons
SoR
you get the idea...

if it's an undead/demon mob I'll throw in a Holy Wrath after the AS for a little extra on the running in.
Daschla

Postby kysu » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 am

theckhd wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:DURING? Won't it interrupt the cast? Should it even go off while other stuff is being cast? What about, say, counterspell? I cannot cast it during, arcane blast's cast, for example. I have to do a stopcast. You're still lining them up.

Hm.... I thought it would go off during the cast, but I just tested it on some critters and it doesn't work. Guess it only works with instant projectiles then.

I do the exo/Hor all the time don't know what to tell you. There is like a .2s till exo hits and if your spamming Hor They will both hit ~same time ~3k hit each, then the fribee of doom for 8k.
kysu

Postby sherck » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:55 am

Daschla wrote:^^ This is what I do to pull on bosses

make sure DP is up
AW
cast Exo
Just as the Exo cast is about to end I hit HoR
AS while running in
HotR
HS
SoR
Judge
HotR
Cons
SoR
you get the idea...

if it's an undead/demon mob I'll throw in a Holy Wrath after the AS for a little extra on the running in.

I am thinking of taking my now retired Holy Pally and making a Heroic 5-man tank out of him for the last part of this XPAC.

My question on this is why do you wait until after getting into melee range (HotR) before putting up Holy Shield? Are you not running the risk of the boss getting an initial attack in before HS is up and thus possibly taking a critical hit right off the bat?

Just wondering. Or can HotR be cast from outside melee range?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Arcand » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 am

sherck wrote:My question on this is why do you wait until after getting into melee range (HotR) before putting up Holy Shield? Are you not running the risk of the boss getting an initial attack in before HS is up and thus possibly taking a critical hit right off the bat?

Cheers,

Hammer seems to have better reach than a melee attack - for example, when you're tanking Violet Hold, the portal guardians like to run directly away from you after they spawn and then double back...if you mash Shield of Slam as they spawn, it generally won't land. But Hammer will catch them as they're running away.

If your defense is 540 or better it shouldn't be possible for you to take a crit from a raid boss* regardless of your Holy Shield state. You're just taking the chance of a hit that HS would have blocked, saving you damage and generating a little extra threat.

* Unless you've been debuffed in some way, or the boss has a better-than-normal chance to crit.
Arcand

Postby Aedh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 pm

Arcand wrote:
sherck wrote:My question on this is why do you wait until after getting into melee range (HotR) before putting up Holy Shield? Are you not running the risk of the boss getting an initial attack in before HS is up and thus possibly taking a critical hit right off the bat?

Cheers,

Hammer seems to have better reach than a melee attack - for example, when you're tanking Violet Hold, the portal guardians like to run directly away from you after they spawn and then double back...if you mash Shield of Slam as they spawn, it generally won't land. But Hammer will catch them as they're running away.

I drop cons and mash Judge because they always run behind me for some reason.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Postby Daschla » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:03 am

sherck wrote:
Daschla wrote:Cliping my quote

I am thinking of taking my now retired Holy Pally and making a Heroic 5-man tank out of him for the last part of this XPAC.

My question on this is why do you wait until after getting into melee range (HotR) before putting up Holy Shield? Are you not running the risk of the boss getting an initial attack in before HS is up and thus possibly taking a critical hit right off the bat?

Cheers,

It all depends, big raid boss I'll throw up holy shield first just to avoid a little extra damage(and by avoid I mean possibly block). I just usually start with HotR in heroics because they tickle for damage, and it's a little extra threat, especially if it's a group of mobs. You'll find you will do some thing differently as your gear improves, but as long as you maintain the 969 you'll be fine.
Daschla

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents