Remove Advertisements

Newb questions: Block Cap/Rating/Value

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Newb questions: Block Cap/Rating/Value

Postby catophena » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:05 pm

So I'm new to shield-based tanking, and Pally tanking specifically. I've tanked plenty on my Druid & DK (from Kara through ToGC), but decided to gear up my holy pally.

So, the only real new mechanic/stat I'm a bit confused on is Block. I read the following from the glossary here:
Block Cap - The point where additional Block Chance is pushed off the table. A paladin reaches this point against a raid boss when their chance to be missed+dodge+parry+block an attack adds up to 102.4. Formerly uncrushable.

Block Rating - Stat. Increases your chance to block an incoming attack.

Block Value - The amount of damage absorbed by your shield when an attack is blocked.

Can someone give me a simpleton's explanation for this? Help me with questions like:
What's more important - BR or BV?
How do they compare to Dodge or Parry (in terms of 'value')?
How easy is it to hit that magical 102.4%, and how important is block for that?
Are there some specific pieces of gear with block stuff on them that are 'must haves' or just really nice to have (like Defender's Code used to be for Druids)?
Anything else I should know about blocking?

Thanks for your help
catophena

Re: Newb questions: Block Cap/Rating/Value

Postby cerwillis » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:29 pm

I can't get too in depth as I'm at work, but a few quick answers:

What's more important - BR or BV?

Rating is your chance to block, the value is how much you block each time. If you are trying to reach the block cap and become "unhittable" you want BR, if you are trying to increase the amount blocked each time, you want BV, which scales w strength as well. Rating is the percent on the defenses window of the char sheet. If you hover over that number, you will see your BV. They kinda go hand in hand, so it's not easy to say which is 'better'.

How do they compare to Dodge or Parry (in terms of 'value')?

Dodge and parry cause you to take no damage, while when blocking you take the amount of the hit minus your BV. Basically, block is not 'as good' but with holy shield, you have way more chances to block than dodge or parry, so it's an important mitigating stat, causing you to take smoother, more predictable damage.

How easy is it to hit that magical 102.4%, and how important is block for that?

It's definitely possible to hit 102.4%, but we don't generally worry about it as much these days unless we are tanking specific types of mobs that do lots of little hits...aka adds. Block rating is pretty important when building a "block set" for add tanking. Those sets are pretty good for tanking things that you out gear as well, because ShoR scales w BV and you do more damage to the mobs that way.

Are there some specific pieces of gear with block stuff on them that are 'must haves' or just really nice to have (like Defender's Code used to be for Druids)?

Defender's Code has armor and dodge on use, iirc. Lavanthor's Talisman is a trinket from h VH and is a staple for a pally block set.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Anorian » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 am

Basically it comes down to avoid any block rating and value on gear if the gear the same item level, except if you tanking the adds on anub arak.
Anorian

Postby cerwillis » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:12 pm

Anorian wrote:Basically it comes down to avoid any block rating and value on gear if the gear the same item level, except if you tanking the adds on anub arak.

I would agree that this is true if you are raiding and using some type of DKP/loot system, but for leveling, soloing, pvp, etc. a block set can be invaluable. I use a good deal of block gear when running heroic dailies with my guildies for example. Most pallies keep a progression set as well as block gear, so I wouldn't encourage new tanks to avoid such gear without understanding why.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby hrbngr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:22 am

hello,

new poster here, also a former DK tank w/questions on block and block set, etc. I am trying to confirm what sort of Block Rating would be shown on the character sheet for a uld10-25/Totc10/vendor triumph geared pally tank's block set?

also, for the MT set where the focus is more on EH, threat, dodge and parry, what sort of Block rating would i be shooting for on that set?
hrbngr

Postby Harmacy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:37 pm

hrbngr wrote: also, for the MT set where the focus is more on EH, threat, dodge and parry, what sort of Block rating would i be shooting for on that set?

Depends on what you're MTing, but in general you should aim for little to no block rating as a MT. Most raid bosses hit hard and slow, making block rating less than ideal (still useful, but not as much as stamina or avoidance). But like I said, there are exceptions to the rule - I've never done Algalon (not a hardcore raider by any means), but I hear that you need a block set for him because he hits both hard AND fast.

That being said, block value still continues to be a fantastic threat stat thanks to our Shield of the Righteous on top of a decent amount of EH.
Harmacy

Postby Arcand » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 am

hrbngr wrote:new poster here, also a former DK tank w/questions on block and block set, etc. I am trying to confirm what sort of Block Rating would be shown on the character sheet for a uld10-25/Totc10/vendor triumph geared pally tank's block set?

My block set is triumph pieces, Uld-10, Naxx-25 and TotC-10 all mashed together. The block value is 2850-ish completely cold, up to 3300 as soon as you touch Holy Shield and your libram activates.
Arcand

Postby Chasey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 am

Depends on what you're MTing, but in general you should aim for little to no block rating as a MT. Most raid bosses hit hard and slow, making block rating less than ideal (still useful, but not as much as stamina or avoidance). But like I said, there are exceptions to the rule - I've never done Algalon (not a hardcore raider by any means), but I hear that you need a block set for him because he hits both hard AND fast.
That being said, block value still continues to be a fantastic threat stat thanks to our Shield of the Righteous on top of a decent amount of EH.

FIXT! totally agree.
Last edited by Chasey on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasey

Postby Harmacy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:12 pm

Chasey wrote:
NO! That would be called a block set, go with the block that the gear provides you, have a block set of heroics or trash.

Uh, re-read my post. You said NO, then basically agreed with me.
Harmacy

Postby Chasey » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:59 am

Harmacy wrote:
Chasey wrote:
NO! That would be called a block set, go with the block that the gear provides you, have a block set of heroics or trash.

Uh, re-read my post. You said NO, then basically agreed with me.

UGH so sorry I did reread and thought I deleted that...
I do 100% totally agree with you. :shock:
Again sorry but at least we agree! :D
Chasey

Postby Wrathy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:41 am

hrbngr wrote:hello,

new poster here, also a former DK tank w/questions on block and block set, etc. I am trying to confirm what sort of Block Rating would be shown on the character sheet for a uld10-25/Totc10/vendor triumph geared pally tank's block set?

also, for the MT set where the focus is more on EH, threat, dodge and parry, what sort of Block rating would i be shooting for on that set?

Digren has a great post about gearing philosophies for tiers of content on this website that would be very helpful for your questions, however I will attempt to break some of this down for you based on content and gearing philosophy. If you are still starting out, and you plan on tanking heroics, Naxx, or anything below Ulduar, Unhittable coupled with a high block value are powerful stats. Most of the starting gear has block rating or block value on it, and it is still what most of the top end pallies use for their Anub add set.

The tipping point for valuing 102.4% and gearing to be unhittable is when you step foot into Ulduar. The minute that the bosses are hitting as hard as they do in Ulduar, you want to focus on Effective health. There is some new theorycraft by our very own Theck on this matter, as well as a guide to gear sets which I wrote that will help you with these concepts.

If i can remember correctly, I had about 18% block in my full ulduar gear, and I have less than 13% now. As you start getting closer and closer to current "end game" content, block becomes less and less valuable and the paramount stat becomes stamina and as a result, a deep health pool (coupled with armor).
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents