Taunting & Glyph swapping

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Taunting & Glyph swapping

Postby Eredor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:25 am

Yesterday I did my first ToC 10 as a tank.

While everything went well on Gormonk I had a few Hand of reckoning taunts fail.
I am hit capped although not spell hit capped which explains this.

I am using the glyph of Hammer of the Righteous as I still do lots of heroics.

The best way would be to swap it with the Glyph of Righteous Defense whenever I am going to tank a raid.

Or should I not bother until hard modes and accept non wiping taunt failures?
Should I ask the second tank to stop dpsing a few seconds after a failed attempt?

How often do you find yourself re-glyphing to optimize tanking?
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Re: Taunting & Glyph swapping

Postby Epimer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:26 am

I've never been a fan of the HotR glyph. We've plenty of tools for picking up adds which are more effective than an extra Hammer bounce, so it's otherwise only useful for trash or heroics (which is why you have it). I'd never consider using a major glyph slot to optimise for trash, personally, so I run with the RD glyph.

That said, the mats for both glyphs are basically free, so if you have a friendly neighbourhood scribe then you could just carry around a stack of each and swap them out as you see fit. I don't bother for my pally, but I have been sorely tempted on my resto shaman (who is a coincidentally my scribe) because there I could reasonably swap out different major glyphs for raid healing, tank healing or general longevity.
Epimer

Postby phaqueue » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:22 am

I have to agree with the above... it seems that a lot of people are starting to use glyphs more as "consumables" and just changing out what you need based on encounter...

I also have to agree about the HotR glyph... I run basically all heroics (with a few pug raids thrown in) and I have never used that glyph... currently I run divine plea, judgement and vengeance/corruption
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Magnilda » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:44 am

I like the taunt glyph, run with it all the time thanks to my +38 hit rating from gear. But for something like Northrend Beasts it's not an instant wipe if your taunt is resisted, the Impale is very 15 seconds so in that time it's possible to get 4 taunts off if needed too.
Magnilda

Postby Pizbit » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 am

*both* taunts failed? By the sounds of your post you only tried one, don't forget we have two! This is one of the main reasons people don't glyph it.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Macktruck » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:35 am

Only problem with that is imagine you're on Anub'arak add duty. You taunt 1, and it fails. It targets the main tank, and then you hit righteous defense. You taunt the add and the boss. If you're right there, healers aren't going to know what's going on, and you're going to die. 25m or 10m togc, it can happen.

Oh, and don't forget there's a 2nd add there.
Macktruck

Postby Eredor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:37 am

Yesterday we tried a new technique for Anub'arak as dps were a little too slow.
The OT respecced to Fury and I tanked both Anub'Arak and the adds.

It worked quite well, except when the add was too far for me to taunt it in which case the OT had to bring it near enough. I sure did take a lot of damage though.

But of course we were doing 10 normal, I guess in heroic or 25 it won't be possible.
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby Eredor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:40 am

Pizbit wrote:*both* taunts failed? By the sounds of your post you only tried one, don't forget we have two! This is one of the main reasons people don't glyph it.

You may very well be right, I can't remember if I used both. Of course it didn't help that the OT continued his rotation instead of giving me 2-3 sec to secure the agro.
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Yup, put both taunts close together on your action bars.
When time comes, single target taunt while eyeballing omen. If your threat doesnt jump up, push the multi target taunt.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Candiru » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 am

I just press HoR (brief pause) RD.

If the HoR worked, then the RD won't go off.
Candiru

Return to Basic Training & Talents