Remove Advertisements

Working with another tank

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Working with another tank

Postby Eredor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 am

I think I am now ready equipment-wise to go to Koralon/Emalon 10 EDC 10 but I'm not really sure how to work with another tank.

- Does a successful taunt automatically put you at the top of the threat list (whatever the past position in the list)?
In other words, if one is to exchange tanking of Gormonk after 2 stacks, is it enough to taunt him then continue on with the 969 rotation?

- conversely, once the boss is taunted by the other tank, do we keep on with the 969 rotation or is there a risk to increase the agro too fast and inadvertently taking back the boss at the wrong time?

- More generally, when working with another tank, s/he being the MT and me being the OT, how does one make sure not to take agro from her/him (e.g. Koralon)? Skip a 969 rotation?

For Emalon, assuming one is to tank the 4 ads.

- Pull with AS, taunt the 4th with hand of reckoning. but in case AS hits Emalon himself, can one assume that the MT can simply taunt him and not worry about it?
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Re: Working with another tank

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 am

Eredor wrote:
- Does a successful taunt automatically put you at the top of the threat list (whatever the past position in the list)?
In other words, if one is to exchange tanking of Gormonk after 2 stacks, is it enough to taunt him then continue on with the 969 rotation?

Yes it's enough to keep you at the top.

- conversely, once the boss is taunted by the other tank, do we keep on with the 969 rotation or is there a risk to increase the agro too fast and inadvertently taking back the boss at the wrong time?

You can, but I usually run off to try to help get the snobolds off people. Skip a shield slam if you're worried about overaggroing.

- More generally, when working with another tank, s/he being the MT and me being the OT, how does one make sure not to take agro from her/him (e.g. Koralon)? Skip a 969 rotation?

If they're a paladin, I'll give them a little bit of a lead before rushing into 969. If they're also doing 969 and you gave them a bit of a lead (2-3 seconds), you shouldn't overtake them. If they're a warrior or a DK (sorry guys)... I usually don't start attacking for 10-15 seconds and then go into 969.

- Pull with AS, taunt the 4th with hand of reckoning. but in case AS hits Emalon himself, can one assume that the MT can simply taunt him and not worry about it?

If you're add tanking, you're the one pulling. It's the Emalon tank that has to worry about single taunting the boss off you. I usually AS one at the back, taunt the other at the back, then hammer the front two ones and consecrate while the two in back catch up to the front ones. Once they've had a tick off consecration, then I'll move them to where I want them.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:31 am

In taunt situations, our rogues/hunters tend to help the target of their target out with the agro, so we don't have to worry about unwanted swaps
Awyndel

Postby Eredor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks,

Looking forward to try ;-)
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 am

I keep on with my 969, but I monitor Omen and sometimes stop my rotation completely. I keep on Gormokk because I am the one applying an AP debuff and my DK co tank can't apply one himself. No locks, rogues, warriors in raid make me it.

Watch Omen and don't get over their threat if you can help it. All tanks are different. I rarely have to worry with my DK co tank, but if he's having a bad night and I zone out into rotation automatic land, I can pull off him with out meaning to. How much or how little of your rotation you will have to drop to not steal agro is entirely depending on the other tanks threat generating ability. It is most reasonable to give the other tank a good lead, say 10 seconds or so before you start in.

What Nikachelle said is a good rule of thumb, I'd add that you want to run in towards the group of emalon and adds, and just before you get to body agro range, drop consecrate. Then taunt, shield toss, hammer of righteous, judge etc. Getting the consecrate down before hand will get the aoe ticking on the mobs faster and help you hold them versus healers. Also, make sure you have divine plea and holy shield up just before you pull the mobs. Both will add to your aoe threat.
Corpsicle

Return to Basic Training & Talents