Pre 80 Pally advice........

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Pre 80 Pally advice........

Postby coldsteel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:48 am

Hey all.....very new here as Im sure that is obvious but glad I found the place.

I am working on my Pally alt and would like to use him as a tank when I hit 80. I am currently dual speced Ret/Prot and have been leveling as ret as it well...is easier when soloing and seems to go pretty fast. I am now lvl 71. There are really no pre-level 80 tanking guides so is it best I just keep going as ret until I hit 80 and just pick up all the necessary questing tanking gear I can and then switch over at 80? I have tried the prot spec a few time to get the feel of it (awkward to say the least) but I run OOM quicker and just went back to ret for now. I relly want to run prot at 80 so should I just wait till then?
coldsteel

Re: Pre 80 Pally advice........

Postby honorshammer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

You could always buy your dual spec. I leveled 70 to 75 as Ret after being Prot for a while at 70 when that was still the cap.

Around 75 when you get Shield of Righteousness it improves and mana probles are solved via BoSanct and Guarded by the Light (refresh Divine Plea on hit). If you are aiming for Prot at 80 switch at 75 and get used to the style.
honorshammer

Postby coldsteel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:14 pm

I am dual spec ret/prot.....currently leveling as ret. I will play ret till 75 as you suggest then go prot to get used to the play style. Thanks.
coldsteel

Postby Ballador » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Paladin Tanking at 70 is pretty much identical to tanking at 80 the only diffrence is you wont have ShoR untill 75 so you will have one extra GCD in the 969 rotaion.

The gearing of your pally tank will be diffrent however. You will not likly be able to meet the Def (soft)Cap'd for you level untill late 70s when you can start wearing Tempered Saronite gear, But being Def (soft)Cap'd will not matter much in a normal instance. Just pick up plate with High STA>Def>Dodge>Parry and you will be fine.
Ballador

Postby majiben » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Ballador is right that you won't be able to be uncritable easily at those levels, though you aren't meant to be anyways. Just grab gear with defense on it and it will mitigate the risk significantly while tanking in instances.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby bldavis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:46 pm

I am in the same boat, leveling a prot/ret pally, and when im not in a dungeon getting heals, im constantly oom, even with BoSanc. I leveled from 10 - 40 as prot, deul-speeced at 40 (got heirloom chest/shoulders at 34) leveled as ret, but tanked while leveling to keep my edge. I am currently at i believe 507 def in tanking set at 77. (one more level to daunting!) the only time i have had issues with taking hits in a dungeon is when my hlr dc-ed! :lol:

just make sure you get as much stam/def as you can, and hit def min asap!
at 77 i have 19k hp self buffed in prot spec/gear. gthe only other thing i would add is keep your gear enchanted as much as possible. if in doubt make friends with a LW (my main is 440LW lol) and get Heavy Borean Armor kits (+18 stam to chest, head, wrists, hands, feet, shoulders and legs) it will boost your hp if you cant find/get a def enchant.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Barfolamhew » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:26 pm

I haven't had any problems running OOM. BoSanc, Dev aura, SoW, and JoW. I am new to tanking as well, but I have found that I can solo quests easier as a tank than by dpsing it. ( I have a Hunter alt and I couldn't lvl nearly as fast.) I especially have faster results with the AOEing quests. I can't say much about anything past my lvl but I have leveled much faster as a tank than as any other class I have rolled.
Barfolamhew

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

majiben wrote:Ballador is right that you won't be able to be uncritable easily at those levels, though you aren't meant to be anyways. Just grab gear with defense on it and it will mitigate the risk significantly while tanking in instances.

Ummm.... I was able to stay uncrittable in off spec gear from 70-80.

1.) Get the cobalt set crafted Including shield if it is better than what you have. Upgrade to tempered/daunting/blue shield/dungeon rewards as you can the entire way.

I have a DK tank that is uncrittable at 77 without using stoneskin gargoyle. (I still use it though). The crafted tank gear + the dungeon quest reward gear is totally worth it. I promise.
Shoju

Postby maaya » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:50 am

Dinged 70, put on the 8 pieces of Cobalt tanking greens, with the rest all 138 greens except two trinkets and a outlands blue +17def neck.

I had trouble keeping threat while sealing wisdom, against the warlock that seeds mobs as I run in. On the other hand, if I use SoV (with BoSanc), then threat is perfect, but I go oom all the time. Only with the four-packs I can have enough mana back with BoSanc. Else I still go low on mana. (1/2 SA, Enhancement Shaman healing in spellpower gear---quite a few close calls.)

The healer had about 500HPS during each of the fights. That translates to about 25mp/s for me, or 150mp over 6 seconds. My HotR costs 177 mana. Hmmm...

And I miss ShoR. With mana restricting Consecration, I have nothing to do except Judge, HotR, HS, tab to each of the mobs so I'm pressing keys, then repeat. It's so boring. And it feels like it hurts more than when I was tanking at 80. :?
This account has gone dormant.
maaya

Postby bldavis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:53 am

yes this is a necro, but i just wanted to say while leveling, go 2/2 SA
it will help with OOM

also get into the habit of hitting DP as soon as you get it, DP coupled with a deep prot talent that refreshes DP on melee hit means constant mana inc.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Arjuna » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:47 am

been doing quite a few random dungeons with my priest as healer, and the p+ally tanks are often ok, but I see many of them doing one certain mistake, they use exorcism while tanking.

Just a general tip to anyone levling a pallytank, do not use exorcism (or heals) when tanking, while casting you cannot dodge or parry which means you will take extra damage. Healers while levling up don't have the awesome mana regen that they do at 80 in full epics, so everything counts! (atleast my priest doesn't) :)
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Return to Basic Training & Talents