BV, Expertise and Avoidance?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

BV, Expertise and Avoidance?

Postby Cedrik » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:29 am

Hi!

At the end of last year I started a paladin and was set off to tank. After some reading and studying on the subject I got really good and was made the maintank in my guild. We took down all the bosses in all instances instantly and I was later on left with the best gear I could find at that particular time. This was pre ulduar. So after a month or so I quit the game and sold off my paladin since I never thought I would wan to play again - obviously I was wrong.

So now I recently dinged 80 with a new paladin and is taking up the tanking again. Unfortunately changes have been made since I last played paladin (februari '09) so I'm a bit green on the subject again.

I've read the basic training thread and also the advanced one, but still questions remain. When I last played a paladin you could either "choose" to be a paladin with BV and BR to get as good blocking as possible OR you could either stack up loads of dodge/parry/agility etc to get more avoidance than blocking(still hit the 102.4% though).

My question is rather simple, is this still possible or are there changes made which makes this a lot less benefitable compared to BV, BR and expertise etc?

I've never gone for expertise before since I believe the 16 you get from the spec is enough, I never have threat problem, far from it. So I don't stack up STR or Expertise at all, only avoidance and stamina. After reading the basic and the advanced training thread I felt I had to ask, hope you can help me.

Thanks, Cedrik.
Cedrik

Re: BV, Expertise and Avoidance?

Postby Argali » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 am

Expertise is got a lot better since the change to Seal of Vengeance in 3.2, plus theck has done some mathematical work on the avoidance value of expertise here.
Argali

Postby Wrathy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:49 am

It all depends on what you are tanking. There is a time and a place for everything that you have mentioned. If you are still starting back out and plan on tanking Naxx then a BV set is very powerful, however the minute that you step into Ulduar or ToTC, Stamina and Avoidance is great for boss taking.

Really what you have to understand is that bosses hit a LOT harder than they did when you took your break, and as such, effective health is more crucial to your ability to tank. A combination of Stamina, Armor, and Avoidance is great, but you also want to strive to get to the expertise soft cap to reduce damage as well.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Cedrik » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Wrathy wrote:It all depends on what you are tanking. There is a time and a place for everything that you have mentioned. If you are still starting back out and plan on tanking Naxx then a BV set is very powerful, however the minute that you step into Ulduar or ToTC, Stamina and Avoidance is great for boss taking.

Really what you have to understand is that bosses hit a LOT harder than they did when you took your break, and as such, effective health is more crucial to your ability to tank. A combination of Stamina, Armor, and Avoidance is great, but you also want to strive to get to the expertise soft cap to reduce damage as well.

Yeah. I read the thread linked above and I came to the same conclusion. I will go for Avoidance + Expertise Cap. Thanks for replying :)
Cedrik

Return to Basic Training & Talents