Remove Advertisements

Miserable first experience

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Miserable first experience

Postby kanst » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:48 am

There is a warlock in our guild, that before each pull targets me and checks for righteous fury. Basically if I forgot to put it up its gonna be his ass that is dead. It happens to the best of us
kanst

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:56 am

kanst wrote:There is a warlock in our guild, that before each pull targets me and checks for righteous fury. Basically if I forgot to put it up its gonna be his ass that is dead. It happens to the best of us

ROFL... I like this idea.

We just make it SOMEONE ELSE'S job to check our buffs (only 1/2 kidding). Find your top TPSer, and tell them, "it is YOUR job to make sure that I have RF up... cause if you forget... YOU will be the first to die..."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

In all seriousness though, it is a decent strategy. If you can find one more person to help with your buffs, all the better. When we farm Naxx 10 for badges, we typically will have 4+ pallies (two tankadins, one critadin, and one retadin)... so making sure that eveyone has the correct aura up, each person has their seals and judgements set correctly, etc is all part of our pre-start routine. Judgements aren't "really" an issue anymore... but it is still nice to have light and wisdom up 100% of the time, so we make sure that we split it 2/2 (usually tank/dps split, and off-tank/healer split).

To the OP,
Another thing to "keep in mind" is your aura. That is one quick indication of whether your tank is paying attention or not. If I am DPSing, and the tank zones in... and it takes more than 10 seconds to get out of "Crusader's Aura"... it makes me wonder. We ALL forget (including me), but most tanks I have PUGed with will immediately hit their buffs on zone-in (*read: make it a habit).

Zone In:
  • Devotion Aura(usually OUT of Crusaders Aura)
  • Rightous Fury (active or not, I always hit it)
  • Seal of Corruption(regardless of how much time it has left)
  • Start buffing group

Make that a habit at zone-in, and you should be fine 99% of the time. One thing that helped me was doing BGs. It may sound silly... but for buffs... BGs are REALLY helpful because you have to rebuff a LOT (depending on the BG and your group). I used to ALWAYS forget to re-seal... ran BGs for a night, and rarely have that problem anymore.
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby Jedah » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:18 am

vegardhv wrote:
I don't think it's been mentioned, I would reccommend installing pallypower. That keeps track of Righteous Fury, your current seal, and all buffs from all paladins in the group/raid. Most paladins on my server have it anyway.

Also keep Righteous Fury ready when you're battle ressurrected, it's a bitch coming back to life with no buffs, no seal and no righteous fury, usually leads to healer death and wipe unless you're very fast to put back RF.

Edit: that was in response to the OP, I'm sure all experienced (or semi-experienced) pallyes are aware of pallypower :p

I run pally power, and I see the option that you Check to have it track RF and Seals, but it only tracks RF for me. I played with it for an hour and looked on the curse comments to see if anybody had a similar problem -- one guy said the same thing i did, but the creator of the mod just replied with "uh... what? just check the box."

Any solutions? i already tried uninstalling and re-downloading/reinstalling. Am i missing something really stupid?

thanks
Jedah

Postby vegardhv » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 am

Jedah wrote:
vegardhv wrote:
I don't think it's been mentioned, I would reccommend installing pallypower. That keeps track of Righteous Fury, your current seal, and all buffs from all paladins in the group/raid. Most paladins on my server have it anyway.

Also keep Righteous Fury ready when you're battle ressurrected, it's a bitch coming back to life with no buffs, no seal and no righteous fury, usually leads to healer death and wipe unless you're very fast to put back RF.

Edit: that was in response to the OP, I'm sure all experienced (or semi-experienced) pallyes are aware of pallypower :p

I run pally power, and I see the option that you Check to have it track RF and Seals, but it only tracks RF for me. I played with it for an hour and looked on the curse comments to see if anybody had a similar problem -- one guy said the same thing i did, but the creator of the mod just replied with "uh... what? just check the box."

Any solutions? i already tried uninstalling and re-downloading/reinstalling. Am i missing something really stupid?

thanks

Try rolling your mouse wheel in the empty spot right of your RF-icon (on the PP bar), then seals should pop up. Beware, you can't switch seals using pp this during combat, so keep them on your bar as well.

edit: typo
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 am

vegardhv wrote:
Jedah wrote:
vegardhv wrote:

thanks

Try rolling your mouse wheel in the empty spot right of your RF-icon (on the PP bar), then seals should pop up. Beware, you can't switch seals using pp this during combat, so keep them on your bar as well.

I will have to try the mouse-wheel trick, because I could not get my seal to show up on PP last night either. I hope that this works :fingerscrossed:
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby Palmela » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:57 pm

I'd recommend PallyPower and turning on the RF button, you'll see that little red box with the RF symbol and immediately realize why your losing aggro so often.
Palmela

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:14 am

JU1CYFRU1T wrote:
vegardhv wrote:

I will have to try the mouse-wheel trick, because I could not get my seal to show up on PP last night either. I hope that this works :fingerscrossed:

For all people asking... this DID work! I now have a warning for my seal AND RF...

Thanks vegardhv!!!!
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby Shoju » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am

Don't get discouraged. Don't give up.

Here is what I did to make life simple for me when I started tanking.

Get pallypower if you don't have it already.

Set it up at the beginning of the run. Make sure it shows your aura + seal/RF buttons

Start at Aura, Click, Left then right click the RF button, proceed to bless the group.

By doing this, I trained myself to just turn everything on as soon as I stepped into the instance.

A lot of people have given you really good advice. If you have a guild, see if you can get some guildies to go on a couple of training runs with you. Explain that you want to learn to tank, and if you have a good guild, they will gladly help out. Why? Because it doesn't matter the guild, tanks will always be welcome alts. Especially if you are able and willing to tank heroics. EoC's and the daily EoTs are like crack, and anything able to give them more crack is a good thing.
Shoju

Postby Panzerdin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:56 am

I'm pretty sure Failbot could be used to insult you if you forget it somehow. I know a guildie had it telling the raid he failed every time he forgot to cast PW:F.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Koatanga » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm

With respect to people who like Pally Power, in my opinion ZOMG Buffs gives you much greater flexibility and ease-of-use.

It tracks your seals, blessings, RF, and auras, automatically restocks reagents, and handles other buffs for your other toons, such as fortitude/shaodow protection on your priest or mark/thorns for a drood. When I go holy, it tracks my sacred shield and bacon of light (mmm, bacon). And it does it all from one little square button, with minimal configuration.

In a raid you can track buff assignments and it even syncs with PallyPower for both assigning buffs and receiving buff assignments. Someone can whisper you and it will respond which pally is assigned to which buff, so they know who to bug when their Kings falls off.

You can hot-key it for out-of-combat rebuffing, so after a wipe you can just hit your hotkey until it stops nagging you to buff people.

But yeah, RF = threat. Without that buff, you are nothing more than a ret pally with suckful DPS.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:18 pm

I use an addon that organizes my buff/debuff frames so that certain buffs are exactly where I want them, and in the same place every time. This allows me to determine in a glance if I'm missing a buff that I should have. Prior to setting this up, I was horrible about remembering to recast my Aura/Seal/RF after resurrecting.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby vegardhv » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:30 am

Koatanga wrote:With respect to people who like Pally Power, in my opinion ZOMG Buffs gives you much greater flexibility and ease-of-use.

It tracks your seals, blessings, RF, and auras, automatically restocks reagents, and handles other buffs for your other toons, such as fortitude/shaodow protection on your priest or mark/thorns for a drood. When I go holy, it tracks my sacred shield and bacon of light (mmm, bacon). And it does it all from one little square button, with minimal configuration.

In a raid you can track buff assignments and it even syncs with PallyPower for both assigning buffs and receiving buff assignments. Someone can whisper you and it will respond which pally is assigned to which buff, so they know who to bug when their Kings falls off.

You said it syncs with pp, that means you with zomgbuffs can assign blessings (small and great) and auras to people using only pallypower? So it in essence works as another pallypower? Can others using pallypower assign your blessings too ?
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby snoweagle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:01 am

Fridmarr wrote:I use an addon that organizes my buff/debuff frames so that certain buffs are exactly where I want them, and in the same place every time. This allows me to determine in a glance if I'm missing a buff that I should have. Prior to setting this up, I was horrible about remembering to recast my Aura/Seal/RF after resurrecting.

Is this SBF? if so do you do that with a new frame for each buff or is there a shorter way?

I keep a shortlist of in-combat buffs/procs (libram/trinket/sacred shield/bubblewall/divine plea and the like) near my healthbar so I dont have to sift through all my different buffs to see them, but i find the expanding/collapsing row means extra time to asess whats up at any given moment due to the icons jumping around.

Edit: to the OP,

Like others have said, RF will make a huge difference...

Many DPS nowdays in HC's are very much in a gogogo nukem fast mindset and so may be impatient regarding threat due to overgearing the places so much and being used to 15-20 min clears... Some will be more patient than others...

In beginning HC's as a tank what I found to be the most useful and nerve saving things was to make good use of the friends list... Friending people who won't hearth after their 1st res or whatever made a large difference in terms of those learning hc's. You'll still have rocky instance runs but they -will- get smoother as you do them more, both from your own experience and from getting more used to the people on your friends list/guild.
snoweagle
Maintankadonor

Postby yappo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 am

Short note on Pally Power. I installed it over half a year ago and a week ago FINALLY removed the horrid piece of ******* :D

Not ALL of us are in love with that addon ;)

I personally prefer a green-geared hunter pulling all the mobs from the next room without asking me to having Pally Power turned on.
yappo

Postby Hillbilly » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 am

Koatanga wrote:With respect to people who like Pally Power, in my opinion ZOMG Buffs gives you much greater flexibility and ease-of-use.

You can hot-key it for out-of-combat rebuffing, so after a wipe you can just hit your hotkey until it stops nagging you to buff people.

But yeah, RF = threat. Without that buff, you are nothing more than a ret pally with suckful DPS.

This

also the RF annoy mode is good in Cloe's Tankadin addon as well
Hillbilly

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents