When creating tank item sets

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

When creating tank item sets

Postby Johnny » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:36 pm

Hello all.

I am new to tanking, although I have been a Wowaholic since the release of the game. My background is heavy in healing all the way back to the MC and BWL days. Just recently I became interested in learning everything I can about tanking.

First of all, this site is wonderful as is the mood and the information posted. I have a question regarding making sets of tanking equipment, such as a block set, stam set etc. Would someone mind explaining the advantages of keeping all this gear, maybe specific fights where one is clearly better than the other? I would like to fully understand the how and why.

Also, if I were to create a BV set, would this include heavy amounts of strength since if I am not mistaken, strength adds to block?

A very sincere thanks in advance as I will undoubtedly have many more questions and hopefully will not try anyone's patience being so new.

I have been completing quests and have yet to hit any heroics. Any gear/gem/enchant advise is always welcome!

Armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Buffey
Johnny

Re: When creating tank item sets

Postby Drunkheifer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Johnny wrote:First of all, this site is wonderful as is the mood and the information posted. I have a question regarding making sets of tanking equipment, such as a block set, stam set etc. Would someone mind explaining the advantages of keeping all this gear, maybe specific fights where one is clearly better than the other? I would like to fully understand the how and why.

Also, if I were to create a BV set, would this include heavy amounts of strength since if I am not mistaken, strength adds to block?

Armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Buffey

Welcome and its beneficial to build different sets of gear for different senerios IE: i put my block set on when running my guild through naxx 10. Naxx 10 with a 2800 BV is quite nice, since it has multipule mobs hitting fast and light. However when i tank HM XT i am not really looking for that high of a BV since i belive my dodge and parry are at 22/20 in my block set. I have a MT'ing set that gives me around 28% dodge 20 parry and 31-32k hp unbuffed.

When your starting out dont stress about different sets of gear. If you pick up a block legs and the legs you have on are def/dodge/parry hang on to the block legs for later. It helps to not get rid of old gear unless you have a replacment for that piece. IE you have def/dodge/BV on a pair of legs, a new piece drops with the same itemization def/dodge/BV but in greater values then your old ones...you can probally get rid of your old ones.

Str does have a direct effect on your BV but I wouldn't really go too far out of the way to be gemming for it. Would be kinda sad to see 16 str in a blue socket if you get my drift <blue sockets should get +sta gems unless your strapped then maybe def/sta>.
Drunkheifer

Postby Drunkheifer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 pm

johnny wrote:Any gear/gem/enchant advise is always welcome

Also you may to browse:
FAQ Sticky: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21932

Gem/ Enchant guide: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22300

Gear List: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23475

Some great info in there.
Drunkheifer

Postby Wrathy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:14 am

I wrote a bit about gear sets here, there are other posts on my blog referencing Threat sets, gemming and selecting the tools for the job...

http://avengingwrathy.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/back-to-basics-gear-sets/
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Johnny » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

The way both of you guys explained it makes total sense and I do have better understanding. I also read the blog (excellent read, especially for a beginner like myself) and it really helped solidify why we need different sets.

From what I gathered, at first, when moving into new instances, we are looking for avoidance and stam, then as dps gets better, we might switch to threat and mitigation instead?

In starting in heroics, then maybe progressing to Naxx, I am gathering that I wont need a ton of mitigation after hitting the minimum defense skill since most people now outgear heroics and even naxx.

As one reader of the blog posted, what is the best stat for threat, would it be strength or hit capped first?
Johnny

Postby Meloree » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:11 am

Johnny wrote:As one reader of the blog posted, what is the best stat for threat, would it be strength or hit capped first?

Strength is a superior sustained threat stat. The major caveat is that hit is reliable hit. There are situations where you absolutely must ensure that the first Shield of Righteousness lands, in which case hit has disproprtionate value.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 am

The greatest threat stat is based on your gear set. Specifically if you are not hit capped (263 hit rating), then Hit is the best threat stat, if you are hit capped, then strength is by far your best threat stat.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:10 am

Wrathy wrote:The greatest threat stat is based on your gear set. Specifically if you are not hit capped (263 hit rating), then Hit is the best threat stat, if you are hit capped, then strength is by far your best threat stat.

Actually, even below the hitcap, strength > all.

However, hit rating is still often preferred since things like a missed taunt can cause wipes more often than slightly less overall threat.
Jasari

Return to Basic Training & Talents