Remove Advertisements

lot of help needed for new 80 tank.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: lot of help needed for new 80 tank.

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:13 am

i always have RF on.

upon further reading i think its probably best to go for the avoidance of the epic cloak over the 84 block to shield on blue cape.

would this be a right assumption?

and thanks again guys.
Anarian

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 am

thanks

also been looking at my build

the second point in improved judgements is a waste, as is (i think) the 3 points in divine sacrifice

bascially i have 64/7 build.

any other improvements i can make on this?
Anarian

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 am

Anarian wrote:thanks

also been looking at my build

the second point in improved judgements is a waste, as is (i think) the 3 points in divine sacrifice

bascially i have 64/7 build.

any other improvements i can make on this?

Most people go 53/18 or 54/17. 64 is a lot in the prot build. I can't look at your armory at work. But try digging deeper into Ret for the Crusade spec.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:49 pm

I agree that your spec leaves me a little wanting. I don't tank a lot, but when I do, I'm normally using a

0/54/17

I see that your defense is kind of low, that will be fixed as you get more gear. It will be a little difficult to get through some things being critable, but with a good enough healer you can probably manage. ....Just got looking more into your gear, is this your tank gear? Or is this questing gear?

535 is all you need for Heroics as far as def goes. Raid bosses are the only thing that require full on 540.

Why no professions? Is this an alt? Or have you just not done any profs? Good profs can help fill out your tank more than you would think.
Shoju

Postby Anarian » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:05 am

changed my build last night.

my defence is at the 540 mark now.

but its more my dodge/parry/avoidance and stamina i need to work on.

no professions as this is an alt.

i know slowly but surely i will get there.

tanked totc normal last night and nexus hc, threat was better, but still not perfect (especially when DPS just run off and do their own thing sigh)

any other advice someone can give?

thanks.
Anarian

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:33 am

Anarian wrote:no professions as this is an alt.

I'm not sure I follow that logic. Even leveling something like mining would give you a stamina bonus, plus net you some nice money as you level up.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:54 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Anarian wrote:no professions as this is an alt.

I'm not sure I follow that logic. Even leveling something like mining would give you a stamina bonus, plus net you some nice money as you level up.

Even crafting professions make money in the long run, even if they take a couple thousand gold to level. This is even more true if you have several toons with multiple professions. For example: Buy a bunch of mats for green quality JC rings on the AH, create the rings, give them to your enchant to DE and put the resulting mats on the AH for a profit. The same thing can be done for most crafting professions when combined with an enchanter. Alchemy and make a lot of money by buying raw mats and xmuting or turning them into pots or flasks. Inscriptions can make money from buying herbs and turning them into glyphs (not to mention the time you save by not need to grind out Sons of Hodir rep).

Basically, get profs, there's no reason NOT to.
Jasari

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 am

What piece of gear are you changing to hit 540?

The armory shows your new spec, and some new enchants/gems and the black heart, but it only shows you at 511 defense.

I agree. If you don't want to sink a 'lot' into professions, go level mining and sell the ore. Don't even train the smelting recipes, just go mine. It will take a little longer to get maxed mining this way, but you wont have that much money in the prof, and I don't know about your server, but ore always sells better on mine. I have a DK who hasn't trained a single smelting pattern and she is at 400 mining.

and pick up skinning. It's not a "great" prof for a tank, but it will do more for you than an empty prof slot, and you can max out skinning in a couple of hours.

Get to 90 skinning
Go to Wailing Caverns. Skin until you you are capped at 150. Run to Ashenvale and train
Fly to the Ferals town at the edge of 1kn
Go to RFK Skin till you are capped
Hearth, go to stormwind, train. Fly to STV skin until you are 250 (raptors behind gurubashi arena)
Fly To nethergarde.
Go to sunken temple. Head straight to the Dragonkin room. Skin till capped.
Go to outland. Train at honor hold. Make a Bee line to shat, killing and skinning all boars, wolves, ravagers you see along the way. If you get to shat and aren't at at least 350, head to nagrand, kill clefthooves.
Go to BT. Train. Find a nice empty area of animals. Kill + skin to 400
Head to Sholazar basin, near the Nessy camp. Skin till capped.

THis will take a couple of hours max, and you will have more crit, which will give you a "slight" boost to threat, and you dont have that much of a time sink in it. Then, you can go find all kinds of wonderous spots in the world to AoE skin things, and sell the leather + Fur.

Get some enchants on your gear. I know you probably don't want to spend a ton of gold on enchants for some of your pieces that will be replaced quickly, but get SOMETHING on your bracers. Get revered with Argent Crusade. The easiest way to do this honestly is the Argent Tournament. It's AWESOME for the rep, and you might have enough to get the epic Tanking axe out of there before you see the RSoC drop for you.

Get a Tank Chest piece (unless this is a piece that you are swapping out to quest with). There is the sun emblazoned chest out of a heroic. It's a blue, but it's a better tanking chest than the one you have. Hell, I have tanked in Ulduar and I still have this chest piece (prot is my 3rd spec).

Get another tanking trinket (unless this is something that you switch out to quest with).

Get an emblem libram.
Shoju

Postby phaqueue » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:55 am

I'll give you the same advice I give others...

reading the stickies and gearing correctly can only get you so far... there are things about tanking that you can only learn by doing - such as situational awareness, when to use CDs and so on...

my best suggestion for people in this position is one of two choices...

either find heroic groups that don't mind wiping here and there as you learn (they are harder to find - but they do exist)

or find a guild/friend healer and run old instances... it's a good way to practice rotation and holding aggro... when you get better at the basics - have said healer mess with you...

let him pull the groups and you get aggro off him, or (if it's a pally) have him turn on RF to heal with... or do things like HoP you while you're tanking... - anything he can think of to make it harder for you to hold aggro... in old instances -he should be able to stay alive long enough for you to figure out the tricks of getting things back and knowing what's going on

when I was leveling my warrior - I had no clue how to tank on anything - especially a warrior - my roommate was leveling a paladin with me, and anytime we did instances - he would throw on RF, run in and consecrate - then yell at me to get aggro, I learned very fast how to do so...

it's just a matter of practice, and finding people patient enough to help you learn
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Anarian » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:20 am

thanks for the advice so far, a lot of it has been trial and error, and i have tanked totc hc and 0s25 so im "getting there" and ive tanked them without issues.

so im getting there, practice makes perfect and all that, so thanks guys for all the input so far :)
Anarian

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents