lot of help needed for new 80 tank.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

lot of help needed for new 80 tank.

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:21 am

Hi guys and gals.

I dinged 80 on Tuesday on the euro realms, and i really want to be a tank.

So i read up on defence rating etc, and have tried the 9696 (although done it through macros, but watched the YouTube vid and will do it manually from now on) and read loads of stickies trying to get a better understanding.

Basically, im looking for any and all help possible, to make me a better tank.

But i still have problems with threat, so was told to gem hit + agility rating.

did manage to tank totc normal (where i picked up some gear), but threat was still an issue as i really had a hard time trying to keep it.

armory is here.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Anarian

i am the ultimate uber noob when it comes to tanks, so any and all advice appreciated.

i know i dont have any enchants, as im still researching what goes where (apart from Sons of hodir shoulders)

thanks

Anarian.
Anarian

Re: lot of help needed for new 80 tank.

Postby beornus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am

Was in your position a month ago. Check out Eanin's New 80 Tank thread, Petrus' equipment thread and Digren's gem/enchant thread. Get to 540 DEF and maintain it. It actually often gets harder to maintain 540 as you get better equipment, the tempered saronite and titansteel have good Def on them but little else, so as you upgrade make sure you gem/enchant accordingly. Get into ToC, the upper 5 mans and then Heroic 5 mans and the equipment will come at a decent pace. Use the threads to figure out what reps you need to grind to get the rep rewards.

I should have kept quiet and thought a fool then to have typed and removed all doubt.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:43 am

Thanks mate,

trying to search through the endless posts to find their threads - search is not my friend :P

hope manager leaves me alone long enough to read for a while!

Any other suggestions/comments appreciated.
Anarian

Postby Kiorken » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:48 am

The post mentioned above makes a good point to use the topics provided.

-Quick point about rep though: Don't neglect to get good with the Sons of Hodir, and for tabard rep, get revered with Wyrmrest Accord, then revered with Argent Crusade, they both have good starter tanking gear.

Try to get the gloves, belt, pants, boots and trinket from regular TOC, that goes a looooooong way to working to replace everything else. Also, helm, ring and chainsaw from Heroic TOC. Back from H Gun, and wrist from Herald in H Old Kingdom (still trying to get that). Pray for a tier peice for chest in Naxx, or get the badge chest, that one is not easy. Shield from either regular Naxx, or get the Crest of Lordaeron from H COS, or have BS make you titansteel, or use badges to get discarded panel.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:52 am

i have researched where to get the gear, its just getting a starting base with the gear i have, you know ench/gems and threat to be able to go do the instances,

was in Vh last night and couldnt keep threat for love nor money.

i know my avoidance/block/parry is way too little, and am looking for help on geming for that, but without getting rid of stam

startin to get a headache, 3 hours reading so far different forums/threads! lol
Anarian

Postby beornus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:23 am

Eanin's thread: viewtopic.php?t=17179

Petru's thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22300

Digren's thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23475
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 am

ok so basically from reading up on gems

instead of the +8 hit and +8 strength on red slot chest. and insterad of the 10 agility and 10 hit on boots

i should be using Regal Twilight Opal] : +8 Dodge Rating and +12 Stamina : Crafted (Jewelcrafting) as with the sons of hodir shoulder ench ill be at my 540 def cap

but what i would like to know, is because im having threat trouble, should i go for something else in the red slots just now?

as threat and health seem to be my 2 biggest issues.

any advice appreciated :)

also

http://eu.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=37197

or

which my rogue could make me.
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43565

i would love a lot of shield block on that swap - opinions please :)
Last edited by Anarian on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anarian

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 am

What kind of dps are you running with? People in roughly the same gear as you? Or people with very high end gear?

Ultimately, it's the dps' responsibility to make sure they don't outthreat the tank. And since you're just getting started, they need to be more mindful of their own threat. I can't check your armory at work, but other than dodge(agility)/stamina in red sockets, I would never recommend gemming for strength. (I'm sure this will be followed up with a blah blah strength is great for block threat sets coment...)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Anarian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 am

thanks

ill be pugging, which basically means ill be doing whatever i can get.

so probably people who are like me farming badges (just so happens they will have a lot better gear)

and thanks for posting those links B :)
Anarian

Postby beornus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:What kind of dps are you running with? People in roughly the same gear as you? Or people with very high end gear?

Ultimately, it's the dps' responsibility to make sure they don't outthreat the tank. And since you're just getting started, they need to be more mindful of their own threat. I can't check your armory at work, but other than dodge(agility)/stamina in red sockets, I would never recommend gemming for strength. (I'm sure this will be followed up with a blah blah strength is great for block threat sets coment...)

You may be running into an issue with DPS worrying more about DPS meters than group success, and/or you didn't have Righteous Fury on. It can be easy to forget when starting an instance after running quests etc and without it you won't be able to hold aggro.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 am

Beornus wrote: and/or you didn't have Righteous Fury on. It can be easy to forget when starting an instance after running quests etc and without it you won't be able to hold aggro.

You don't leave RF up for questing?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Beornus wrote: and/or you didn't have Righteous Fury on. It can be easy to forget when starting an instance after running quests etc and without it you won't be able to hold aggro.

You don't leave RF up for questing?

Nope. When I am doing my kill 15 Cultists daily for example I want to kill Cultists, not interested in having every little dragonkin running to me because I have RF up. If I want to just kill everything because I want some loot then RF is good, but usually I am just trying to knock the daily out as quickly as possible and moving onto the next. RF just increases the incidental mobs to deal with imo.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:55 am

Beornus wrote: RF just increases the incidental mobs to deal with imo.

How? RF doesn't increase your aggro range.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:57 am

Then it is simply a matter of my being an idiot who didn't think it through lol.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 am

Beornus wrote:Then it is simply a matter of my being an idiot who didn't think it through lol.

/pat ;)

On the plus side, having it up gives you the damage reduction while you are soloing. Although... really not that necessary for normal mobs.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents