Remove Advertisements

Born Again Noob

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Born Again Noob

Postby Rumpleminze » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:02 am

I took about 10 or so months off from playing WoW. I stopped just before WOTLK was released. Coming back to Northrend and the major changes to my precious Tankadin class has me overwhelmed to say the least. I have started to lurk the forums here and have skimmed some of the guides so far but its ALOT of info to take in and the biggest starting hurdle I'm having is a talent spec. I intend to level as prot. I did it in TBC and I plan to do it in WOTLK. I practiced tanking and rotation as I leveled doing quests as well as in AV runs. I would really appreciate any tips or advice to point me in the right direction. I would specifically appreciate some talent build reccomendations......something that will allow me to tank the normal 5 mans as I level and some quick getting started gear advice.

Here is a link to my armory profile: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... umpleminze

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice to help me get back into the game as a tank.
Rumpleminze

Re: Born Again Noob

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am

I don't suppose you have a Sun Eater or Kings Defender or some such lying around??

First order of business is to drop that spellpower weapon and get a good tanking weapon or, failing that, get a good DPS 1H weapon.

This would be my personal choice of build:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sMZV0xA0uGusIufdxo

That's completely up to you though, as it does have several points that could be spent on your preference of talents.

We don't want int, spellpower, or any other such thing on our gear. You are pretty much gearing as a BC warrior would have.

The leveling up process is similar to BC as a tank.

At 71, you get Divine Plea. Glyph it, right then and there.

Other glyphs are up to you, but I recommend Seal of Vengeance since that's your main seal to use. You have a hole in your rotation, btw, Shield of Righteousness doesn't come into play until level 75.

Do you enjoy being an engineer? IMO the bonuses are not nearly as good as they were in TBC, but some people like it. A lot of people have switched to JC or BS though. If you have a friend, get some of the crafted cobalt tanking gear to replace pieces with worse stats. Your first instance should probably be Utgarde Keep, in Howling Fjords. There are like 3 quests there, and I think some decent upgrades. That was long enough ago that I don't remember.

Read stickies, multiple times, just in case.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Re: Born Again Noob

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 am

Also, given your previous factions:

Dawnforged Defender

and

Inuuro's Blade

For instant gratification, if you can't wait to get some upgrades through questing/instances.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Return to Basic Training & Talents