Threat Issues

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Threat Issues

Postby Corpsicle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:48 pm

The mobs in ToTC behave oddly on threat and can be outright buggy. Damage can be very spiky to the entire group depending on how you handle the mobs, especially the first champions you face after the dismount from jousting. If you don't normally have issues with threat in heroics, then I would first question the fight mechanics.

Following dismount the Champions stay in place for about 2 seconds, doing nothing, then another second to equip their weapons. You can not affect the agro table of the mobs in this initial period. While the mobs are standing in place, they are building threat on your group. The solution is to either have all your group run out following dismount and then pull the 3 champions like normal. Or have all your dps run to one specific spot, wait till the champions start phsyically moving, then spam righteous defense on your healer, followed by single target taunt and Avengers Shield on anything that is still looking iffy on agro. Stun the hunter if it is up and drop a consecrate on it. If your healer is a priest, they should hit fade once the champions start moving, but not before.

For the Black Knight, I think agro carries over on transition. I suggest you tell your dps to give you a couple seconds on threat and to kill the pet asap - which should give you a large enough threat lead to set it and forget it. Blow wings as soon as you have a 5 stack of corruption up, should be able to use Divine Protection in phase 3 still. For phase 3, use Hand of Sacrifice and Sacred Shield on your healer - it will let them worry less about themselves during the most healer intensive part of the fight. Save holy wrath to help pick up adds at the start of phase 2 - I usually drag the boss himself to the healer, holy wrath to get agro on anything near us at that point and toss a bunch of aoe around on the adds I missed before I start kiting the boss in a circle. If your dps isn't standing in the explosions from the ghouls, healing on that phase is relatively minimal, apart from single target burst to whoever gets knocked back.
Corpsicle

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Personally, the only thing I would do differently than what you describe is NOT put consecration down so quickly.

Hammer of the Righteous is WAY too much threat to delay with a consecration, if you want to front-load.

Open with Hand of Reckoning, Avenger's Shield, ShoR, then Hammer. By doing so, your DPS could get 15k crits to open and still not pull threat.

Also remember, you have an AoE "taunt", if shit hits the fan or DPS is over-zealous.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Pizbit » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Florisia wrote:Consecration + HW on phase 2, and hope your DPS doesn't do so much AOE that everything de-aggros off of you. I tend to have this problem a lot with mages. The worst part about this is that the mages I've been with seem to run as far away from me as possible, making pulling anything off of them a lot harder than it needs to be.

Ghouls random get given somehting like 5000k threat on a random target, gota kill 'em fast.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:51 am

Isetnefret wrote:Personally, the only thing I would do differently than what you describe is NOT put consecration down so quickly.

Hammer of the Righteous is WAY too much threat to delay with a consecration, if you want to front-load.

Open with Hand of Reckoning, Avenger's Shield, ShoR, then Hammer. By doing so, your DPS could get 15k crits to open and still not pull threat.

Also remember, you have an AoE "taunt", if shit hits the fan or DPS is over-zealous.

Thanks for this... I will change my priority for these pulls (and every pull from here on out). Did I read correctly in an earlier post that Reckoning is OFF the GCD? That makes a big difference too. I typically don't use Reckoning because I pull with Avenger's Shield.

Just to be clear, you are saying to use Shield of the Righteous and then Hammer of Righteousness back-to-back. I would then drop Consecration, and Judge to get Shield off CD for the 969... right? I know that with 5 different abilities, getting back into the rotation if/when you have to break it is pretty simple, but I wanted to make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

@ Floristia
I hate it when ranged DPS pull agro and "run away". The only thing better than that... is when a DPSer pulls agro from me, and as I taunt them off... the mob turns to run towards me and the DPSer continues to hit them... pulling the mob right back. I had a DK in H Nexus the other night. He NEVER had me on assist (was ALWAYS targeting a different mob than I was)... and when I would taunt, he would continue to DPS, pulling the mob right back. I would watch the mobs turn to face me... and right as I was hitting the next button, he would land another hit and take back agro. It was quite funny.
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah reckoning isn't on the GCD.
Bonus points for ASing 3 on a 4 pull and getting reckoning's damage to proc on the 4th :D
(Way it works is you charge target and hit reckoning as fast as you can after hitting avengers shield and reckoning will land before Avenger Shield since it doesn't have a travel time and AS does.)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents