Guide: Alternative Playstyles, and UI Play Options (Open)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Guide: Alternative Playstyles, and UI Play Options (Open)

Postby Kiorken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

Hello all, just wanted to make a guide using your mouse for key binding, and creating some simple macros, to make your life easier. This information is garnered from experience, friends, elitistjerks.com, and of course maintankadin. Feel free to use this information, and share it.

First of all, I play with a 7 button mouse, so if you have a basic mouse, I can explain some alternatives.

You are most likely at this point familiar with elitistjerks. Its a good source of info, as is Maintankadin. You should be aware from Basic Training what the 969 rotation is. There are some basic macros that can be used for *most* situations, to make your life easier. The "9"'s are considered: Consecration, Judgement, and Holy Shield. The "6"'s are Shield of Righteousness, and Hammer of the Righteous. These are macros that can be used in a general situation, to maximize the rotation.
For "9", make:
#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=9 Holy Shield, Judgement, Consecration

For "6", make:
#showtooltip
/startattack
/castsequence reset=6 Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness

These macros are smart, which means, if you have to mix it up, or go outside the rotation, it resets after the alotted time, letting you decide how to play.

>>>>>Please, do not take the 969 rotation as Gospel, you *are* allowed to take advantage of the situation (or attempt to fix an unforeseen circumstance), and deviate. Have your skills bound to your action bar even with the macros.<<<<<

Another one:
#showtooltip
/startattack
/cast Hand of Reckoning

Automatically taunts the nearest target, good for chainpulling, or starting an autoattack in general.

Do this with Avenger's Shield too, so that you don't ever have to target a group.

So, on to the main topic of the guide:

>>>>>Using your mouse to your advantage, and being a better player in general<<<<<<

Your mouse if your friend. The more buttons your mouse has, the more freedom you have to tank. No seriously. Or DPS, or heal. Almost everything you can possibly do on WoW, you can do on your mouse. Every skill you have, if you have enough buttons, can be used, on your mouse. The WoW mouse, you can tie every single action bar button to.
So, to start off, I want you to go to your key bindings. If you scroll down, you will notice white lettering that says Action Bar. There should be some yellow lettering underneath, with Action Button 1, Action Button 2, etc, with RED buttons next to them. These buttons are your keybindings. You can tie any button on your mouse (or keyboard) to these RED buttons. Not only that, you can hold SHIFT, and press any button, OR press CTRL and press any button. So suddenly, your basic mouse with a scroll wheel has 9 skills tied to it. What people don't realize, is that their zoom functions, usually tied to your scroll wheel, isn't actually all that useful in a static situation. Tie your zoom buttons to your number pad, so you can zoom if you absolutely have to.

So, to give an example. I have made the macros above. I use button 4 and button 5, the buttons that touch your right thumb when holding the mouse, and go back and forth in pages online, tied to those macros. So, I press button 4 for Action Button 1, which initiates my "9" rotation macro, to Holy Shield. I press my middle mouse button thats tied to my Action button 3, to use my Avenger's Shield macro, and pull the group. I then press Mouse button 5, which is my Action button 2, to use my "6" rotation macro, which uses Hammer of the Righteous. Once I have hit the group, I just rotate between button 4, and button 5, until the dps has killed the group. I then move on to the next. What this has done, is simply alternated between both buttons, maximizing the 969 rotation, while I don't ever have to click on my skills.

>>>>>It means I don't have to click on my skills, look at my cooldowns, or try to find my skills in a desperate situation, its all there. I can watch the MOBS, and watch my DEBUFFS, and watch the HEALERS and DPS. My mouse can be ANYWHERE on the screen, and I can focus at the task at hand.<<<<<<

This of course is elementary. There are a ton of macros out there. One I recommend, look up the smart mount macro, its on wowwiki. It saves time, and bar space. You can also tie just about anything to an action button.
For instance, I had a macro that used both Divine Protection, and my Lavanthor's Talisman at the same time. (They are on a 2 minute cooldown, so you can use both at the same time.) I had it tied to my CTRL+F, so that whenever I hold CTRL and press F, I use that macro. This also means, I dont have to look for both on my action bar, and click both. (Or see if they are on cooldown separate from each other). So, this means, you can also your your keyboard functions near your basic "AWSD" keys, to maximize your play.

>>>>You are effectively turning your mouse and keyboard into say, a Playstation Controller....with lotsa buttons<<<<<

Addons I use to help out...a lot.

Healbot. If you don't have healbot, and you are a pally, get it. It doesn't matter if you don't heal, you do, you just don't know it. Bubble the healer in a bad situation? You can do that easy with healbot. Cleanse the dumb DPS that jumps in the poison in H TOC? You can do that with healbot. Use Righteous Defense on the healer without ever targetting him, and watching him pull agro with healbot? Healbot can do that too. Healbot goes right along with this guide, you can use it to tie skills to your mouse button when you click healbot, to do a buff or skill on your teammates (or yourself), without EVER TARGETING THEM. So, you can focus the enemy, use your 969 rotation naturally, and heal/cleanse/bubble without trouble. Healbot also tells you when someone pulls agro with a red box, and somehow indicates when someone is about to get hit, by say, an arrow, or fireball :)...Healbot.

Pallypower. Don't ask questions, get Pallypower, too many raidleaders require it, for good reason. It makes blessings WAAAAAAY easier.

Powerauras. This is the only one I see mandatory for me, but maybe too much for beginner players. Powerauras is a very functional tool that tells you whats up, based on how you set it. Want to know when Divine Protection is up? Make an aura to let you know. You're a shaman, and you want to know when to put Water Shield back up? Make an aura. With my hunter, his MM dps rotation depends on this, my hunter has like 4 auras up if I haven't done the rotation correctly. It has timers, and even compensates for the Global Cooldown, for GCD. Powerauras makes it even more so that you don't have to look at your keys for cooldowns. Or have to look at your buffs to see if they are up. Or have to check on your trinket or survability cooldowns. Just focus on your enemy like you have learned from mouse keybindings, and occassionally look at your character to see your cooldowns.

Last thing. >>>>>>>Mouse MOVEMENT<<<<<<
Please, learn to move with your right mouse button. Turn on click to move in your Interface options. Please, please learn to not move with your "a" and "d" buttons, and learn to turn with your right mouse. It turns exponentially faster, to the point of how fast you can move your wrist.

In conclusion:
With macros, key bindings, mouse movement, and addons, you can do your job very, very easily. You can focus on the enemy, watch the raid or group, watch your cooldowns, maximize rotations, and generally dominate. Also, going Ret, and following this guide in pvp is easy HK's.

Have a great day!
Last edited by Kiorken on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playing very casually....for now.
Kiorken

Re: Guide: Mouse Bindings, and Being Cool with Skills in General

Postby Jerey-Darkspear » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:06 am

I beg to differ in regards to zooming in and out during a fight. As one example, I find it useful to zoom in on the elder that roots on Freya to see when the other tank has the giant thorn in him, but zoom back out to see the entire raid is grouped up for more efficient downing of roots. Same on Thorim, zoom in to see that melee are away from me and zoom out to see that people aren't being hit by the lightning sectors.

Regarding movement. How do you strafe or walk backwards? The number of sit there and tank fights is pretty limited, though I guess that number has gone up in ToC.

Finally, I'd vote to put this guide in Basic Training. It seems to be outside the scope of theorycrafting as this subforum's subheading suggests.
Jerey-Darkspear

Postby Kiorken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 am

Good point, but when I have to zoom in or out, I have it set on my number pad, so I just have to move my hand real quick, you can also set macros for zoom level too. Also, you could just use your mouse buttons, or your middle mouse. My wife likes her zoom where it is, but uses the other buttons, so I konw exactly what you mean.

You keep your basic left hand set up on your keyboard, so you still strafe with "q" or with "e", and move back with "s". I try to keep only my TURNING to my right mouse, otherwise, its set up the same, with "a" and "d" set up redundantly as back up turning, if I have to turn slowly, to move a boss for instance.

I thought of putting it in Basic Training, but I thought the keybinding, and macros would throw someone off that is just trying to learn to tank. These concepts are really for someone who has a basic grasp fo what they are doing, but want that extra umph.

Kiorken

Postby Vedge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:51 am

>>>>>It means I don't have to click on my skills, look at my cooldowns, or try to find my skills in a desperate situation, its all there. I can watch the MOBS, and watch my DEBUFFS, and watch the HEALERS and DPS. My mouse can be ANYWHERE on the screen, and I can focus at the task at hand.<<<<<<

Not to criticize comletely, but in my opinion the only way to use a mouse is "mouseover" macros for taunts, decurse, bubble, Avernger's shield, heals etc. I'm one of thosewho doesnt use macros for 969 rotation, as i dont find it too complicated to do it with my keybinds(2,3,4,q and e). Having tanked that much i can do a perfect 969 with my eyes closed or by just viewing the raid and the boss moving the mouse arround for "mouseovers". Being able to do a rotation without the macro also allows me to choose what i wish to cast and in what order. For example i like to judge, then shieldslam, which is pretty much a habit from using LoO, and it also gives some decent snap aggro. On the other hand there are some situations when I offtank(tank switch) where i wouldnt cast Holy Shield, but still maintain 969 rotation.
With a mouseover macro when you see some mobs running away towards healers or dps, you hit your mouseover macro "pointing" at the mob and the job is done.

For strafing you can just press right mouse button and use "a" and "d" to strafe, but yes it requires both hands... I do have "click to move" enabled, but i only use it to fly long distances while enjoing a cup of coffee, when i have to fly across Northrend(point at the horizon). I find it way too uncontrolled to move my character in the raid that way, or try to position all mobs directly infront of you while AOE tanking. If you can, i'm impressed, but I bet I can do it way faster using both keyboard AND a mouse.

P.S. this post should really be moved to Basic section :)
Imagehttp://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Vedge
Vedge

Postby Venoseth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:23 am

While putting all of your 9s abilities on a macro is a good idea if you're having trouble keeping up the rotation, I think the freedom of starting any fight w/ any combination of those abilities (Judgement, HS, Cons) is important in making yourself less of a robot, and more of a player. For example, I have a 6s macro (two actually, one that starts w/ HotR, that I use rarely, and one that starts w/ ShoR) bound to key 3 on the top number row (I don't have a number pad, as I use 15.4" laptop) and all of my 9s abilities spread around to each side. Key 2 is bound to judgement, key 4 is bound to holy shield and key F3 (directly above 3 on my KB) is bound to Cons.

Why is this important? Well, it's not for heroics, but think about General Vezax: if you spam Consecrate during a mostly avoidance RNG string you'll go OOM (in my experience).

Sure, you could put Consecrate at the end of your 9s macro and change your macro from reset=9 to reset=6 [which you should do in case you need to skip the last ability of your 9s macro (you hit it every 3s, so 6s after you hit it the second time, the first ability is off of CD and ready on the GCD) in this case, you'd hit your macro to Judge > HotR > HS > ShoR > wait, or fill-in ability like SShield > HotR > (9s macro resets) Judge > etcetera], but that doesn't solve the problem of, let's say, trash. Pulling trash in a lot of situations I like to have consecrete and holy shield up ahead of time (when possible, or sometimes one and not the other), this frees up that 1.5s later I would have done (front-loading).

As a tankadin, I consider situations like these, and the choices you make, to be the real merit of your ability. In the end, you're advocating simplifying your life as a tank (rotation) in order to increase your mobility and awareness, two of the most important traits of a good (great) tank. These things come w/ time and experience, in varying degrees depending on the person.

Once you're up to that next "skill level" remove the "crutch" of macros (in this case, I hope I've made myself clear) so that you can custom tailor your response to the situation.

Oddly enough, in that same vein, I'll also say that I made an "iWin" button for a friend of mine who's not the best video game player. She loves to play tankadin (never does anything more serious than a PuG 5-man). This iWin button is just the full rotation: Judge > ShoR >Cons > HotR > HS > ShoR > Judge > HotR > Cons > ShoR > HS > HotR > ends (so that it re-starts at the beginning).

AKA:
Code: Select all
/castsequence reset=6 Judgement of Light, Shield of Righteousness, Consecration, Hammer of the Righteous, Holy Shield, Shield of Righteousness, Judgement of Light, Hammer of the Righteous, Consecration, Shield of Righteousness, Holy Shield, Hammer of the Righteous

Similar to your macro, but even takes the choice of weather you use a 6 or a 9s ability first out of the equation (better for less experienced or skilled players, worse for the rest).

So, TL;DR? Macros can help streamline, and also limit what you're able to do w/ your time. I recommend evaluating your playstyle and content before making a decision. ^^

Edit: Tried to fix the macro (didn't copy/past it 'cuz I hadn't made one for my account). :o
Last edited by Venoseth on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Jedah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 am

I don't see how you could possibly tank with click to move. It offers nothing but extremely limited control because you can't easily move any direction except forward.
Jedah

Postby Kiorken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:47 am

Yes, you are both right, I tried to stress that you should not stay directly on the 969 rotation like a hawk, but that you should be adaptable. The IWIN button you made is just a collaboration of the two :) But its the general gist. Yes, to an extent, the macros can be a crutch, because you have to be situationally aware, but at the same time, yes, make sure that you CAN be situationally aware, "don't stand in the fire", and what not. Lord knows I have my own issues with that, even when I have all these! Just reading the funniest noob moments remind me of this.
So yes, you're right, take it with an open mind, but know when to use what, as your expertise warrants. I use powerauras too, to get an idea of whats off cooldown, so I can use whats appropriate, I have my skills tied to my bar, just like the macros.

With the mouse over macros, when I see the mobs run towards the healers, I middle mouse click the healer with Healbot active. It shows you who pulled agro. But mouse over macros are good too.

Oh yes, Click to Move is for convenience, please don't right click the raid boss to move to him! You use Click to Move to be able to move when you need to get across a room (for instance running out of the instance in TOC, to reset the joust bosses).

Your points are valid, because, if everyone just read what they needed to know without thinking, no one could come up with new ideas!

Kiorken

Postby Venoseth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:10 pm

This then, I think, should turn into people listing the ways that they accomplish what they do outside of the normal UI or macro as a way to tank better, so that we can all learn from the ways other people do what we do, well. The heading's a good idea, I just dunno if all of the info is fully on the mark yet. ^^

Some of the things I have set up is that my F4 key (the key above my index finger on my left hand) has a macro:
#showtooltip
/cast Hammer of Wrath(Rank 6)
/script SetRaidTargetIcon("target", 8)

this casts Hammer of Wrath (when they're under 20%) and marks any target you have selected while you hit it w/ Skull. I use this macro to assign kill targets on the fly (if skull changes, for example).

Another very poewrful tool is DBM and it's timer system. For example, I made a sacred shield macro that pulls a 60s DBM timer that says "Sacred Shield" using the following macro:
#showtooltip
/cast Sacred Shield
/dbm timer 60 Sacred Shield

Anyone else want to share some of the things they do to be a better tank, or what-not?
Last edited by Venoseth on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Kiorken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Sure, I already PM'ed a request to the mod to have this moved to Basic Training, but it would be a good idea to give your input, its open, and by know means do I know everything! Lemme change the title.

Kiorken

Re: Guide: Alternative Playstyles, and UI Play Options (Open)

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Moved :>
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Just a quick note regarding castsequence macros, for those who use them:

The reset timer for a castsequence macro is from when the macro was last activated, not from the beginning of the cast sequence.

Example:

You are using a reset=9 on a castsequence of Holy Shield, Judgement, Cosecrate. You are using this in conjunction with your 6-second abilities, for a regular rotation. I'll just use "6" for them, since it is irrelevant which is used.

Let's say you want to drop Consecrate out of the rotation, to conserve mana. Your sequence now looks like this:

0.0 Holy Shield <reset timer starts>
1.5 6
3.0 Judgement <reset timer resets>
4.5 6
6.0 <nothing>
7.5 6

However, the macro was last triggered at 3 seconds into your rotation, and the reset is 9 seconds. You want to cast Holy Shield at 9 seconds, but the soonest it will come up on your macro is when it resets, at 12 seconds.

I highly recommend you use reset times shorter than your sequence time. Consider what you might skip in your sequence, and use a reset that will allow you to cast on time. For the 9-second macro, I recommend a reset of 5 or 6.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Kiorken » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 pm

That's an excellent point friend, you have yours set up that way? Do you find yourself occasionally skipping, say, Consecration, so you wait out the 6 instead of the 9?

Kiorken

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:41 pm

I cheat and have multiple "9" macros. I drag over the one I want to use for the fight (General Vezax, for example).

If I have my standard macro but want to skip, I generally go manual - I have the individual abilities on my cast bars for that purpose.

And yes, I do run with the shorter reset. All bases covered.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby slipey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 am

Here are a few mods that I use for tanking that I find very helpful:

I would like to recommend an highly useful tanking addon - ALOFT (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info10864-AloftBeta.html). This addon lets you customize character/mob nameplates. It is extremely flexible and lets you customize the type of information you can see on the nameplates. However, the main reason I use it is so that I can easily tell which mobs I have aggro on with just a quick glance. You can configure this in the Nameplate Glow options. By default, WoW puts a glow around the target nameplate which tells your aggro level. I find this extremely hard to see, especially when tanking more that 4 mobs. With Aloft, I have configured the Nameplate glow as the bar color (there are a few other settings you need as well, but i cant remember them off the top of my head). So, when I have aggro on the mob, the nameplate bar color is red. When I dont have aggro, the nameplate bar color is yellow, and when I get close to losing aggro, the bar color is orange. This is a huge help when AOE tanking because I dont have to mouse over or tab target every mob to verify that they are indeed on me. I can quickly tell which mobs are not on me without having to do anything. I really wish I had this back in the Hyjal days.

Another recommendation of mine is getting a good tooltip addon. TipTac is my preference. Lets you see alot more information than the default tooltip, like the mouseover's current target. Also, I like the tooltip anchored to mouse cursor so i dont have to move my eyes that much.

Finally, Classtimer is a great addon for watching specific buffs/defuffs. I use it monitor sacred shield uptime, divine plea, divine prot, vengance stacks, holy shield uptime, ect. Although... sounds like powerauras may be better for this.
Slipey of Nathrezim US
slipey

Postby polpak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Here's a couple I find useful

#showtooltip Divine Shield
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cast Divine Shield

#showtooltip Hand of Salvation
/cast [help] [target=targettarget, help] Hand of Salvation
polpak

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents