Shirts vs. Skins?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Shirts vs. Skins?

Postby XxMelloMayhemxX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:46 am

Hello all,

I recently hit level 80 (around Friday I do believe) and now I'm completely lost as to where to go and what to do to better my armour and defence rating. I actually tried tanking regular ToC last night and it turned into a demoralising and terrifically emasculating experience. Everything I've tried in the past to maintain and hold aggro that worked 100% of the time completely failed me and made me look like I should have been wearing a baby diaper. From perusing your forums I've seen a lot of talk about using seal of righteousness vs seal of wisdom and judging wisdom instead of light in various situations, etc. But I'm honestly worried it may just be a gear issue for me. Here is a link to my character in the WoW Armoury any help at all would be much appreciated as I do not know where any really good replacements for my current set drop. Thanks again!

-Regards,

-M.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Misha&n=%C3%85dvent
XxMelloMayhemxX

Re: Shirts vs. Skins?

Postby Barathorn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:59 am

Hello,

Do not fear, salvation [sorry for the pun] is at hand. This forum will teach you all about basic tanking techniques but for gearing issues you want the gear forums.

This thread,

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19656

Should help you immensly, both Eanin's and Petrus's gear guides and Digren's gemming and enchants guide should set you on the right path.

If you have any further questions just PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:56 am

You might check out the FAQs at the top of this forum as well.

Even in mediocre gear, our threat is VERY good, with the proper rotation.

Just out of curiosity, which parts of ToC gave you the most problems? It might help us help you.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby XxMelloMayhemxX » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Thank you both for your quick responses, firstly!

I'll definitely take a look at the guide you posted for me and try to commit it to memory as best I can.

And the whole thing funny enough was pretty rough for me. I was doing the instance (ToC for those who are just tuning in) with a very geared warlock and rogue both of whom can easily pull down 3k dps half asleep and I'm lucky to get around 800. I don't really follow a rotation per say, I loosely try to stick to the 9,6,9,6,9 rotation in which I pretty much end up clicking anything the moment it comes off CD...lol.

Looking back on the situation (and having ran ToC almost all day today in ret just to see how someone else tanked it) I think it also could have been the lock focusing on an off-target and the inexperienced lvl 77 paladin healer we had that contributed to a lot of my shame.

I was, happily, able to pick up a few nice pieces of gear the tank didn't need in ToC today however that may help...but before asking any other questions I'm going to take the time to read everything you guys have recommended before exposing any more of my purloined masculinity in regards to tanking ToC this week...lol.
XxMelloMayhemxX

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:55 am

XxMelloMayhemxX wrote:I loosely try to stick to the 9,6,9,6,9 rotation in which I pretty much end up clicking anything the moment it comes off CD...lol.

The more loosely you stick to it, the lower your TPS will be. Comparing different runs in the same gear, on the same fights I had lower threat when I missed my rotation more often.

As for the Warlock and any other DPS you run with.....paladins should be able to stay way ahead of any DPS geared in roughly the same tier. If they are way out-gearing you, threat is THEIR problem, not yours.

I would wager that you are putting out enough threat to win the instance, provided the DPS stays under your threat. You certainly do not need to put out 3000 dps to win normal ToC.

I wouldn't run with them if they can't figure out how to play the game.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby XxMelloMayhemxX » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm

You're absolutely right as a matter of fact...after looking through the basic training guides and abandoning seal of wisdom entirely (lol thanks for that btw) I decided to give everything another spin. This time I was asked by a few friends to tank the heroic daily (Old Kingdom) and we tore through there like it was on regular mode...not once did I lose threat.

I did take your advice and stuck as close to the rotation as possible and where I was normally doing about 800-900 dps on the recount metre it had scaled up nicely with the geared 80s I was running with....I wasn't #1 or anything but I was pulling about 1500 and not losing threat and even being complimented afterward so as far as I know that's kudos for me.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the timely and courteous responses...so long as there's room for one more aspiring MT here I'll be posting more in the future (not about me but just stuff in general lol)

-M.
XxMelloMayhemxX

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Out of curiosity, what was it in ToC that gave you the most issues? If I had to hazard guess, I'd say the first boss, after the jousting part is done? If that is the case, don't worry too much, their threat tables are all sorts of screwed up. As near as I can figure it, during the jousting phase they fixate people at random, and assign the person they're fixating ~50k threat. When they fixate another person, they assign that person 50k threat instead. When the jousting is over, their threat list carries over without resetting, so you're left with three mobs going for up to three different people with a lot of threat on each, and only a couple of seconds to make the pickup if it's a clothie that they're trying to gib. That isn't easy for anyone - though if you're feeling slick then a well placed HoP, two taunts, and a stun, as well as a co-operative group who know how to use their aggro drops, will do the trick.

Failing that, just get everyone to run outside just after the jousting part is finished, and when you re-enter the three mobs will respawn in a line with clean threat tables.

Anyway, fixing the rotation issues as you have will no doubt help a lot - but that particular pull is tricky regardless.
Rhiannon

Return to Basic Training & Talents