Nervous about Heroics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Nervous about Heroics

Postby Florisia » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm

DirtyMetis wrote:Took a break from my pally for awhile to level up some other toons and just started working on him again with the patch. Seems to be an abundance of healers and DPS around on my server and a severe lack of tanks so I thought I might give it a shot again. I'd like to run a bunch of heroics/ToC (I'm in very small guild of RL friends so raiding isn't an option, we're lucky to have 5 on at any given time, so I'm stuck PUGing mostly) to work towards getting some better gear but I'm nervous about my current entry-level gear set and measly 26k HPs - seems every tank I see these days has 30k+! Can anyone offer any sort of advice on where I should start? Sounds like dodge took a bit of a hit in effectiveness, should I be regemming at this point? Different spec specifically for heroics? Any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated. Armory linked below:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Azraphael

Many thanks!

I'm amused how much this sounds like my very first post on the maintankadin forums. Everything from the "WTF at these HPs?" to the "I'm lucky to have 5 guildies on at a time.", all the way down to "I'm glued to the concept of pug."

My suggestion? Keep trying. Don't give up. Don't give in. Never surrender, and all that jazz. 535def for heroics, 540def for raids, if you get pugged into one. I can't see your armory ATM, but that's alright.

I'd call myself a bit of a veteran to the life of a heroic pugger. HP requirement is actually fairly low for Heroics, but it doesn't hurt to have it. The only bosses I would be particularly worried about for HP in heroics would be...

Loken(HOL) if you plan on eating the Nova instead of running out of it.
Anub'Whatshisname(Azjol'Nerub), if you plan on eating his pounds.
Keistrazza(Nexus) and Consortium Wrap Dude(Violet hold), if you plan on staying still throughout the entire fight.
ThatSecondBossGuy(The Occulus), if you get targeted with the laser and don't move.
Dred(Draktharon Keep), because he's a freaking dinosaur.
The Black Knight Phase 2(Trial of Champions) if you stand near all of the zombies as they detonate.
The Black Knight Phase 3(Trial of Champions), because everyone is pretty much getting slammed during this phase until he dies.

As you've probably noticed, MOST heroic bosses with anything you need to be worried about HP over are conditional in some way. There's more than just this, but there's a lot of ways to get out of the damage outside of OMGHeal or OMGBubble. Try the instances in norm first(If you already haven't), and then go back and do heroic. Most of the boss attacks don't change much outside of how much it's going to hurt and/or how long you have to take it. If you're still nervous about going into it, watch a video of the instance from a tanking perspective(Or any perspective) and watch how they do it. If you wipe, you wipe. It happens, and it probably will happen.

So long as you're making that effort to understand the tanking aspect of the encounters, the worst that you have to worry about is some whiny healer/DPS complaining about their repair bill or how much time it is taking to do X. Sooner or later, you can complain about being bored with heroic tanking because you're in a tiny guild, then defect from your guild and make a new one like I did. Lol.

Edit: Dred.
Florisia

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 pm

HP isn't an issue on Keistrazza in nexus, you just hit jump, all our abilities are instance, It's actually really boring, tank and spank while jumping and doing the odd cleanse.
Loken in h-hol only need >22k as a tank to stay in. And there's bubble wall, divine shield, LoH anyway.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby gmf1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Ive just found most healers/dps suck, not tanks. I have healed a friends bear who i invited to a heroic just as i say the achieve for dinging 80, i healed him as prot in my un-enchanted holy gear, without issue.

Yet once he was geared he was getting killed and kicked from groups for being undergeared. Yet i healed him whiel he was in blues and greens...

Heroics are meant to be completed just after dinging 80, but as most people have gear given to them these days they lack the skill that you would have got if you dinged 80 1 week after wrath and had to do naxx in mostly blues.

So if anyone tells you you don't have enough hp for heroics, there a noob.
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:21 pm

My baby druid (level 23 at the time) didn't get to tank SW Stockade this evening, because 939 HP wasn't enough. Yes, really. People are muppets, you get used to it :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 pm

amh wrote:My baby druid (level 23 at the time) didn't get to tank SW Stockade this evening, because 939 HP wasn't enough. Yes, really. People are muppets, you get used to it :)

Awww *hugs* that's stupid.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:20 pm

26K health is even enough for H ToC. I run it all the time... and EVERY time I go in, someone (usually a DPS) will say "Only 26K health... this may be too rough for you to tank."

I will assure them "I have tanked this before, and health is never been an issue for me. I have enough avoidance to compensate for that extra 4K life" (they don't know I'm full of crap... my gear is normal Heroic/naxx-entry gear... aka not "stacked" for avoidance). I have only NOT finished a H ToC run a few times. The first time was the DAY the patch released, and like a nub we tried to run it on Heroic before even SEEING the fight on normal. The second is with my rl-friends... and I can't figure out what the problem is (I think it is the fact that we are trying to drag a 1500 dps rogue through uldar-level-content (more or less), and one time we had epic-fail for heals. The healer was so bad that I was burning LoH < 2 minutes into the first phase.

Just make sure that you are kiting the Black Knight around in a small-ish circle during phase two, and Holy Wrath the adds to keep them from blowing up on-top of you (that can hurt with a small health-pool).

26K health (with proper skills and knowledge) will get you through ALL of the heroics, even ToC and Naxx if you have a good enough group. Get the addon "GearScore" and don't pug with phail-healz and you will be fine. If DPS is lacking, not a huge deal, it just takes longer... if your healer is garbage, you are doomed.
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby Panzerdin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:41 pm

amh wrote:My baby druid (level 23 at the time) didn't get to tank SW Stockade this evening, because 939 HP wasn't enough. Yes, really. People are muppets, you get used to it :)

How much HP did they expect you to have?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby amh » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:49 pm

At level 23? These days I'd expect no less than 4k.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:43 pm

On our server, the top guild is somewhere around 14-16th in the country...

so everyone on the server has these ridiculous expectations of what gear people should be in for heroics...

I quit before 3.1 and just started playing again about a week ago, so I'm in full Naxx25 level gear...

I found a group looking for a tank for heroic Nexus, and joined, and was immediately told "Your health looks a bit low for this place..."

to which I replied "I tanked this with 20k HP and barely uncrittable, I'll be fine"

I also had someone try to explain to me that you need Ulduar gear in order to be able to tank Ulduar gear... apparently when the patch with Ulduar dropped, everyone already had the gear so they could tank it...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Rinanth » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I used to have that problem back in BC... I levelled my paladin pretty late in the game, so a tank for heroics was expected to have t5/t6 gear. Nevermind that as a tank you can't pvp for some epics to make it look like your gear is reasonable... nevermind that there weren't very many craftables... I just got told to go get gear - what did they think I was trying to do?
Rinanth

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:40 pm

First time I tanked (successfully too) EOE10 was about a week after I dinged 80, with 26k HP.

The other day (missing some gear I have now) I joined a pug for EOE10, i had 31.5k unbuffed HP at the time. I got immediately kicked for being "undergeared". I even made the noob error of whispering the guy to try and get myself back in, mentioning that I'd done it with far less gear, linking him the achievement from when I had.

"Lol using the addon, you fail". Appearently. I put him on ignore shortly afterwards :)
badgermonkey

Postby yappo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I see a lot of this **** going on as well.

You're safe for anything NOT the current daily hc. It doesn't matter if the daily hc would magically turn out to be Stormwind Stockades or RFC, the moment it's the daily then people want you to have 30+ k hp to ensure they get those two emblems.

However, the frantic chase for conquest emblems is still not over and done with. You should have no problems squeezing into the slot for any hc not on the list for the dailies.
yappo

Postby bldavis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:15 pm

as a up and coming tank on us-drenden, i am seeing a sadding trend. inorder to do almost ANY heroics, not to mention raids, you must already have the achievements. it is not only tanks, but healers and dps as well. My GM's hubby is Naxx-25 geared resto druid, one of the best healers i know as far as skill, and was kicked from a VoA-10 because "you dont have the achievement"! WTF! i have been kicked from naxx, OS, VoA and even H-HoS because i didnt have the heroic achievements, it doesnt matter i had the reg achievement for HoS and am geared to raid (almost overgeared for 10's and heros, just 4 more blues, rest epics ie ilvl 200+ lowest ilvl is 174). the thing i wanna know is how you get the achievements but doing the ebncounters the first time? and as far as tanking i am a 71 prot/ret pally and was kicked from uk reg cause i didnt have the achievement there, and that was for ret! it didnt matter i farmed that place on heroic with guildies and knew the fights so well i could do them in my sleep.

ok enough of this rant, if anyone else is on drenden, just keep in mind not all of us cleared uludar in the first 2 days, and not all of us have been playing since vanilla, (i hit one year next month)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:27 pm

bldavis wrote:as a up and coming tank on us-drenden, i am seeing a sadding trend. inorder to do almost ANY heroics, not to mention raids, you must already have the achievements. it is not only tanks, but healers and dps as well. My GM's hubby is Naxx-25 geared resto druid, one of the best healers i know as far as skill, and was kicked from a VoA-10 because "you dont have the achievement"! WTF! i have been kicked from naxx, OS, VoA and even H-HoS because i didnt have the heroic achievements, it doesnt matter i had the reg achievement for HoS and am geared to raid (almost overgeared for 10's and heros, just 4 more blues, rest epics ie ilvl 200+ lowest ilvl is 174). the thing i wanna know is how you get the achievements but doing the ebncounters the first time? and as far as tanking i am a 71 prot/ret pally and was kicked from uk reg cause i didnt have the achievement there, and that was for ret! it didnt matter i farmed that place on heroic with guildies and knew the fights so well i could do them in my sleep.

ok enough of this rant, if anyone else is on drenden, just keep in mind not all of us cleared uludar in the first 2 days, and not all of us have been playing since vanilla, (i hit one year next month)

just an update- now i have just 5 ilvl 200 peices left, having ilvl 226 peices for chest, belt and hands, yet i was still kicked from a H-HoL run for being undergeared. I had another friend in the grp link me the dps and damaga done charts, the next night he and i went in there with another guildie and 2 friends, i was almost 1k OVER the top dps and close to 30k over on dam done by the 3rd boss (the laser event) yet i was undergeared? :roll:

edit: oh and my pally is now 77 with over 500 def

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents