Remove Advertisements

n00b question about taunting

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

n00b question about taunting

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:54 pm

I have a n00b question about taunting. I tried to search, but I can't seem to find anything about what I wanted to ask.

Last night, I had a go at my first Naxx 10 tank (I am new to WoW, and leveled to 80 as ret... so tanking is REALLY new to me). I have been reading EVERYTHING that I can find, including most of the tutorial threads here.

We were running Anub'Rekhan, and I was OTing... so it was my job to pick up the adds (Crypt Guards)... and I could not get them to agro for ANYTHING. I was popping Avenger's Shield, Hand of Reckoning, and even Righteous Defense... but the mobs never even acknowledged that I was in the room. It didn't matter what I did, I could NOT take agro.

I am defense capped, with okay gear for Naxx 10 (mostly ilvl 200 stuff)... Righteous Fury was up, and I was using Seal of Vengeance. What am I missing. We wiped twice in a row, and I dropped group out of embarrassment. It wasn't like I couldn't keep agro on 50 mobs in a massively OPed group. I couldn't get ONE mob to pull off, AT ALL. What am I missing?

Here is my profile (Thejuicebox), so that you can see what I have/am using. I am working on getting better gear, but in the meantime, I SHOULD be able to at least taunt off of DPS with Reckoning, right? Or am I not understanding how it works as a taunt?
JU1CYFRU1T

Re: n00b question about taunting

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, taunting will put your threat as high as the highest person on the list, and make the mob attack you for like 3 seconds. Some mobs are immune to taunt, I'm not sure if these are or not, I would assume that they are not, as most bosses in WotLK are not immune. Taunt can be resisted though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Koatanga » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:12 pm

You should be able to taunt, but taunt can miss. You should always be prepared to follow up a Hand of Reckoning with a Righteous Defense in case the first misses.

There are 2 likely causes for what you experienced:

1: Righteous Fury not active. No RF = no threat. If you swap specs, RF turns off, so you have to remember to re-enable it.

2: Aggro-happy DPS doesn't let the mobs get to melee. When you hit something with Reckoning, you do X damage to it. That gets multiplied by threat factors, but if someone does more damage than your taunt damage plus threat factor before it reaches you, then you will lose the mob.

You effectively gain 20% threat by being within 8 yards of the mob (if you are at melee, you pull aggro at 110% threat, if range it's 130%). If you stand there waiting for the mob to arrive while your melee DPS go beat on it, they can quickly surpass your threat and pull aggro. You need to tag it with a taunt, and follow that up with Avenger's Shield and Judgement while running toward it.

Keep in mind that in that phase of that fight, the melee DPS have nothing else to do since the locust swarm is on the boss. If they want to maintain a place on the damage meters, they will rush in guns-ablaze as fast as they possibly can. You have no choice but to do the same.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Annadin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:21 pm

My guess is that you were silenced by the Locust Swarm, so the taunt did nothing.

Do you have a WWS report?
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby JU1CYFRU1T » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 pm

I know just enough to know that WWS is like the combat log... but I have no idea how I would get one. I haven't been playing that long, and my guild is a very casual guild. I didn't know that the locust swarm would silence.

Is that an AoE thing, or is it raid-wide? It would explain a LOT about the fight. Secondly, since it may have also been the fact that DPS was over-eager, where exactly do the adds spawn? Do they enter at a specific spot every time, or do they enter at a location dependent on where the boss is?... I know the fight (in terms of what I am supposed to do)... but I haven't been able to watch their spawns from a third-person perspective. That knowledge would help a lot, because I could just plant a Consecration right where they add-in.

Thanks for all the help and ideas about what went wrong. I was REALLY frustrated (so much so that I logged right after).
JU1CYFRU1T

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm

They appear at the back, opposite the door. The locust swarm is centred on Anub'Rekhan and covers maybe halfway into the room if he's at the edge. You want to be in the back half all the time while on add duty, with the boss up front.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:04 pm

I find the tank spot videos to be very useful for picking up mechanics on a new fight. Go to either tankspot.com or youtube.com and search for Tank spot + name of encounter. In the Anub'rekhan video, I believe they use a kite strat (while many groups now use a stand there and take it strat) but you should get a clear view of where the adds enter from and how the OT moves to pick them up.

There are guides to just about all encounters available. There is also a guide to situational awareness and bettering oneself as a tank and raider that I highly recommend if you are just starting out. That one is located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf1pWQhJdhQ
Corpsicle

Postby Wardari » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 am

Annadin wrote:My guess is that you were silenced by the Locust Swarm, so the taunt did nothing.

Do you have a WWS report?

IIRC you cannot taunt when under the effects of Locust Swarm, it doesn't make the taunt effective it just prevents you from casting it as you are pacified.
Wardari

Postby vegardhv » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 am

JU1CYFRU1T wrote:We were running Anub'Rekhan, and I was OTing... so it was my job to pick up the adds (Crypt Guards)... and I could not get them to agro for ANYTHING. I was popping Avenger's Shield, Hand of Reckoning, and even Righteous Defense... but the mobs never even acknowledged that I was in the room. It didn't matter what I did, I could NOT take agro.

Seems weird. Though it happens both hand of taunt and righteous defense misses, and that's kind of annoying if you have just missed with avenger's shield :p - seems a little weird you had all that trouble, maybe it was bugging, but I'm guessing you missed with your taunts and/or dps was too eager. Mobs spawn on either entrance (exit) of that room, so I find it better to be somewhere close to the middle ready to pick them up, or in the middle of the raid - boss mods give a message when they spawn.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Playdoh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 am

I am positive it was more to do with the "locust swarm" that he does.

if you are caught within 30 yards of the boss when he is casting it, you are basically screwed from any sort of add pick-up for i think 15 seconds.

the only things that work are auto attack and hammer of the righteous.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Playdoh wrote:I am positive it was more to do with the "locust swarm" that he does.

if you are caught within 30 yards of the boss when he is casting it, you are basically screwed from any sort of add pick-up for i think 15 seconds.

the only things that work are auto attack and hammer of the righteous.

This. Wait back by the healers and the add will come to you. If it doesn't, it's probably on the MT, which is fine. If the tank does have it temporariliy and a caster/healer pulls it off, wait until it gets close to the center of the room, and then unleash hell.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents