Remove Advertisements

New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby gokuson » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Tsopaladin wrote:Cool beans, I'm going to stick with Retri till I get to 80, I should be fine :)

Just much easier to level with Retri than with Prot.

switch to prot at lvl 77ish, with flying the lower dps will be less of a factor, and you should start tanking in prot spec to learn all the moves, cooldowns, etc. It would be embarising getting into a heroic or raid and not knowing what the prot tree can do
gokuson

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:54 pm

If speed is your concern, stay ret as long as you can.

If learning to tank is your concern, Tank everything you can from 70 on. As prot. Questing is Just Fine, and you can even solo a lot of stuff that most people need a group for. (e.g., group quests in dragonblight can MOSTLY be soloed.) The main bonus is peace of mind: You can't die. If you ever get low, you can just turtle up and SoL+block things to death to get mana and health back, not to mention having a crapton more health to heal with a LoH, and also talented bubbles.

About the only thing that can kill you are too many spellcasters.
Kelaan

Postby Jasari » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm

You can tank as ret though. I tanked just about every instance on the way from 70-80 and did it all as ret. You lose a fair amount of survivability, but for 5mans it's really not a problem, and threat shouldn't be an issue at all.
Jasari

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:56 pm

Jasari wrote:You can tank as ret though. I tanked just about every instance on the way from 70-80 and did it all as ret. You lose a fair amount of survivability, but for 5mans it's really not a problem, and threat shouldn't be an issue at all.

Perhaps now that ret's main seal is SoV, I guess. When I tried tanking as Ret at ~71, after having tanked in 3.0 as prot, my threat felt SUBSTANTIALLY worse. As in, I didn't have a 2x threat lead over people, and better players could overthreat me if they were not careful. Haven't tried tanking as ret since 3.2, though. Might not be so bad.
Kelaan

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:09 pm

I leveled 1-80 as prot, and it was fast (save that pause at 70 while waiting for an expansion).

I very much liked not needing a group for most group quests, and having very little down-time.

If you go Prot/Ret as your two specs, with the right gear you can fill all 3 roles.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Tsopaladin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 am

Wow guys! Thanks for all the information!

I've now dinged 70 :) w00t

I've duel specced for Retri and Prot, I need to get used to Prot so I'll be doing some Outland instances this weekend before tanking the Northrend instances. I've managed to get full set of Cobalt gear, including the shield, and with Blessing of Sanctuary and Devotion Aura I have 14721 Armour, 11247 Health and defence rating of 503. I think this is quite decent for my level, I've seen level 80DK's with less Armour and defence rating. Would 503 make me uncrittable in instances which are level appropriate?

Now I have another question though, in the Prot Talent tree, there is a Talent that refers to "Devine Plea" but I cannot find a spell or talent anywhere called Devine Plea, am I missing something?

I ran Nexus and Utgarde Keep last night as DPS just to get a feel for it, a friend of mine tanked Utgarde Keep and I realised I have a fair amount to learn still, he pulled very fast and frequently.

As a Prot pally, what would be the best spell for pulling? He used Taunt...
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Tsopaladin

Postby ulushnar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:31 am

You get Divine Plea at level 72 I believe.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Jedah » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 am

Tsopaladin wrote:As a Prot pally, what would be the best spell for pulling? He used Taunt...

Each pull is different. Generally, when you're pulling a group of several trash mobs, Avenger's Shield will be the best to use first. If there's more than 3 mobs, make sure you immediately toss a judgement on the 4th mob that didn't get hit while you're closing range, then HotR to get your initial "snap" aggro on anything else that may be in the pull.

If there's just one mob, I usually just pull with HoR (taunt) because it does some cheap damage.

If the pull is a boss, i will usually pop wings (unless i anticipate needing Divine Protection in the next 30 seconds), taunt, and immediately toss avenger's shield for maximum frontloaded threat.
Jedah

Postby Arcand » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 am

Jedah wrote:Each pull is different. Generally, when you're pulling a group of several trash mobs, Avenger's Shield will be the best to use first.

Nitpick: If it's an all-melee group and you're concerned about patrols, pull with Hand of Reckoning or even a judgement so the bad guys are at full speed as you move them back. Once they're all bunched up you can give them a point-blank shield.
Arcand

Postby Isetnefret » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am

Ulushnar wrote:You get Divine Plea at level 72 I believe.

And I think most people agree it should be IMMEDIATELY glyphed, and life will be good.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Tsopaladin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!

Quick question... what is "popping wings"?
Tsopaladin

Postby Arcand » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 am

Tsopaladin wrote:Quick question... what is "popping wings"?

Using Avenging Wrath. When you do that, an angel-wing effect appears and persists as long as the buff does.
Arcand

Postby Kelaan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Avenging Wrath increases your damage by a bunch, which helps (but at your level is likley not even needed) on the pull. However, it's important that you don't pop wings, wait several seconds, and then pull: that's wasted damage, and therefore wasted threat! :D

Remember that Avenger's Shield also silences casters, which can be handy on the pulls of casters that you want to get grouped up on you.
Kelaan

Postby Tsopaladin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 am

Now I'm really enjoy my palladin! Prot actually does bucket loads of damage if used correctly, and you have many more ways to keep threat! Loving it! Avenging Wrath is flippen cool, I pop wings as often as possible when boosting smaller guild members... just cause it looks so cool!

I've slowed down a bit on my levelling, just want to get used to Prot a bit more. I ran with a group on the weekend and did Onyxia's Lair, 25 Man, pretty cool. But wow confusing! Is there some sort of addon or interface that I can use for raid groups? My standard interface only should 5 members, which really isn't cool.
Tsopaladin

Postby ulushnar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am

Tsopaladin wrote:Now I'm really enjoy my palladin! Prot actually does bucket loads of damage if used correctly, and you have many more ways to keep threat! Loving it! Avenging Wrath is flippen cool, I pop wings as often as possible when boosting smaller guild members... just cause it looks so cool!

I've slowed down a bit on my levelling, just want to get used to Prot a bit more. I ran with a group on the weekend and did Onyxia's Lair, 25 Man, pretty cool. But wow confusing! Is there some sort of addon or interface that I can use for raid groups? My standard interface only should 5 members, which really isn't cool.

Do a search for raidframes addons. Personally I like XPerl, but there's a lot of other ones out there too.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents