New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Pizbit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 am

Generally speaking PvP gear is absolutely terrible to tank with. The exceptions *can* be weapon/shield, but the reality is you can get a good shield from the AH or have a BS make one http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42508.
And a good weapon is obtained via questing, and then from tournament dailies, alliance: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45076
Have a look in the gear forum on here.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Arnock » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Welcome to the boards, glad to see some new players are actually researching their class!

Been mentioned a few times, but just want to reiterate that you generally do NOT want to use pvp gear for tanking. Although it will get you immune to crits through resilience, and there is a lot of stamina, there is absolutely no defense, dodge, block, or parry, which are all crucial to reducing damage taken. While leveling, some of the pieces that come from pvp are pretty good due to large amounts of stam, but generally, the time spent farming for them would be better spent questing or running instances, where you will eventually get upgrades anyway.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Arnock » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:24 pm

In addition, I'd recommend you use sanctuary, especially at lower levels, the mana from this helps a LOT.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Koatanga » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:55 pm

People don't generally PvP in protection specs, because you simply don't have enough firepower. As a result, there are no Protection rewards in PvP. If you are looking to be a tank and nothing but, then PvP is largely a waste of time.

There is one thing that I didn't really undersatnd as I leveled up, so I thought mentioning it might prove helpful to you: WoW is a very strange game in that nothing really matters until the game is over. Everything you do leveling to 80 becomes completely irrelevant at 80. At max level, the real game begins.

Thus, while leveling your professions is important, it is a waste of time to seek out obscure crafting materials to make (or have made for you) crafted pieces on the way up. You don't need best-in-slot gear at level 65, and would benefit more from spending an equal amount of time just leveling.

That awesome gear you got at level 59 becomes laughable when compared to basic outlands quest rewards, which in turn get thrashed by the quality of northrend garbage.

So my advice is take the time and effort you would spend pimping your toon on the way up, and invest it in anything that yeilds experience.

This is not to say it's a race to the end. Certainly enjoy the leveling experience. Stop and smell the roses. Enjoy the questing experience, and visit the instances along the way.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga
 
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Arnock wrote:Welcome to the boards, glad to see some new players are actually researching their class!

Been mentioned a few times, but just want to reiterate that you generally do NOT want to use pvp gear for tanking. Although it will get you immune to crits through resilience, and there is a lot of stamina, there is absolutely no defense, dodge, block, or parry, which are all crucial to reducing damage taken. While leveling, some of the pieces that come from pvp are pretty good due to large amounts of stam, but generally, the time spent farming for them would be better spent questing or running instances, where you will eventually get upgrades anyway.


Thanks dude!

I'm loving being a Palladin, specially on instances! Taking tons of damage and handling it :D

Does anyone know if there is an addon available to show how much damage I've taken?
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Koatanga wrote:People don't generally PvP in protection specs, because you simply don't have enough firepower. As a result, there are no Protection rewards in PvP. If you are looking to be a tank and nothing but, then PvP is largely a waste of time.

There is one thing that I didn't really undersatnd as I leveled up, so I thought mentioning it might prove helpful to you: WoW is a very strange game in that nothing really matters until the game is over. Everything you do leveling to 80 becomes completely irrelevant at 80. At max level, the real game begins.

Thus, while leveling your professions is important, it is a waste of time to seek out obscure crafting materials to make (or have made for you) crafted pieces on the way up. You don't need best-in-slot gear at level 65, and would benefit more from spending an equal amount of time just leveling.

That awesome gear you got at level 59 becomes laughable when compared to basic outlands quest rewards, which in turn get thrashed by the quality of northrend garbage.

So my advice is take the time and effort you would spend pimping your toon on the way up, and invest it in anything that yeilds experience.

This is not to say it's a race to the end. Certainly enjoy the leveling experience. Stop and smell the roses. Enjoy the questing experience, and visit the instances along the way.


I've slowly realised that, and now very seldom PvP, I will create an Alt, more thank likely a DK for when I get the urge to PvP. But, much prefer questing, and above that instances, good training ground for tanking. I'm not to worried about gear, when I hit level 40 and was able to wear plate, I did purchase some created gear from the AH, Legs, Chest and Hands, cost me about 22g, which I think was money well spent, as I am now level 54, and still haven't found any better items through questing and instances, I have done every instance available for my level. I won't be buying anything again until level 80, quests reward and drops is the only thing I'll be going for.

I am still Retribution spec, it helps alot with levelling, I'm not sure though at which point I will need to respec for Protection to tank effectively, right now I am still tanking fine, I can keep all the agro from a mob, unless running with a mage, but a simple taunght or Excorsism sorts out the one loose monster.

I've definately noticed, the real game only starts at level 80, I'm dying to get there, but also enjoying the ride there.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Last edited by Tsopaladin on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Pizbit » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Tsopaladin wrote:Thanks dude!

I'm loving being a Palladin, specially on instances! Taking tons of damage and handling it :D

Does anyone know if there is an addon available to show how much damage I've taken?



Pressing 'y' and go to statistics at the bottom left then I think combat(not in game at the moment) will give you the total amount since you created your toon. Also how much you've healed etc:)

If you're after per fight or per instance check out Recount.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... count.aspx
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 am

Pizbit wrote:
Tsopaladin wrote:Thanks dude!

I'm loving being a Palladin, specially on instances! Taking tons of damage and handling it :D

Does anyone know if there is an addon available to show how much damage I've taken?



Pressing 'y' and go to statistics at the bottom left then I think combat(not in game at the moment) will give you the total amount since you created your toon. Also how much you've healed etc:)

If you're after per fight or per instance check out Recount.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... count.aspx


Cool, thanks, I seen the 'y' feature, but I would prefer per instance to see how effective I tank. I have recount, I'll just need to figure out how to set it to see how much damage I've taken :) Thanks!
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Pizbit » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:31 am

Press the little > icon to cycle through what it shows in the main window.
You can select between showing the over all and specific fights by clicking on the menu button(document like icon)
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Braundo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 am

Tsopaladin wrote:Cool, thanks, I seen the 'y' feature, but I would prefer per instance to see how effective I tank. I have recount, I'll just need to figure out how to set it to see how much damage I've taken :) Thanks!

I'm not one to nitpick, but technically I would normally consider an "effective tank" to be the one who takes as little damage as possible. :)
User avatar
Braundo
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:14 am
Location: Wiping your raids

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:16 pm

Braundo wrote:
Tsopaladin wrote:Cool, thanks, I seen the 'y' feature, but I would prefer per instance to see how effective I tank. I have recount, I'll just need to figure out how to set it to see how much damage I've taken :) Thanks!

I'm not one to nitpick, but technically I would normally consider an "effective tank" to be the one who takes as little damage as possible. :)


Really? How so? Maybe I've misunderstood the roll of the tank, normally what I would do in a dungeon, is pull mobs, and keep the threat on myself as much as possible, and ensuring that the more squishy DPS guys don't get hit, to keep them alive. I'm still quite new to this, been playing just over a month, so any and all advice is appreciated :D
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Pizbit » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 pm

The role of the tank is to keep aggro(mobs on you) and to take the least damage possible doing it.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Pizbit wrote:The role of the tank is to keep aggro(mobs on you) and to take the least damage possible doing it.


Ok so the one part I am doing right, I keep the aggro very well. Taking the least possible damage, I imagine would be through gear, armour, defence rating, dodge and parry right?

But at the end of the instance, I should still have taken more damage than other members of the group, or not?
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Pizbit » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:22 am

Yep, pretty much.
The issue with going with it as a % of group's damage taken is that there's a lot of AoE magic damage and the like which inflates their % relative to yours(Some instances you'll have 80% of the groups damage taken, others 50%).
You're best off ignoring how much damage you take relative to the group or you risk barking up the wrong tree.

Damage taken should only ever be looked at as "did I do my best to avoid making others and myself take more damage than they should have?" Ie, keep mobs on you, focusing mobs away from your group so they don't get breathed/cleaved/spat at, reaching uncritable etc.

Just continue onwards to 80, and only then start worrying about reaching the defense minimum, then about things such as being able to take a hit, avoid a reasonable %, reducing size of hits etc etc.

The only thing you should be concerned about while leveling is choosing 'tanky' gear and holding aggro.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
 
Posts: 2184
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:37 am

Re: New to WoW and aiming to be a Tankadin

Postby Tsopaladin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 am

Pizbit wrote:Yep, pretty much.
The issue with going with it as a % of group's damage taken is that there's a lot of AoE magic damage and the like which inflates their % relative to yours(Some instances you'll have 80% of the groups damage taken, others 50%).
You're best off ignoring how much damage you take relative to the group or you risk barking up the wrong tree.

Damage taken should only ever be looked at as "did I do my best to avoid making others and myself take more damage than they should have?" Ie, keep mobs on you, focusing mobs away from your group so they don't get breathed/cleaved/spat at, reaching uncritable etc.

Just continue onwards to 80, and only then start worrying about reaching the defense minimum, then about things such as being able to take a hit, avoid a reasonable %, reducing size of hits etc etc.

The only thing you should be concerned about while leveling is choosing 'tanky' gear and holding aggro.


Cool beans! I'm looking forward to hitting 80, but definately enjoying the ride there.

I am currently looking towards getting Lightforge gear, I have my GM boosting me through instances to get the gear. For now I think I am holding the agro quite well, everybody I've grouped with at my level is impressed with the way I hold agro.

My current method is I run Righteous Fury and Seal of Righteousness seeing that is still my only Holy Seal, it doesn't help much for dealing damage, but helps for threat. I use Excorsism to pull a mob, and cast Conceration and Holy Wrath to keep the threat. If a random monster heads off to attack a squishy I use either Excorsim or Taunt to get the agro. I only cast Judgement of Light to keep my HP up as much as possible, and I recast as soon as the spell has cooled down. Because I am still retri spec, each time I cast a Judgement I get 25% of base mana back, and also a 50% chance of 5 mana points per second regen for 20seconds for the entire group, I never run out of mana.

Any advice, or am I doing things right so far?
I am a Paladin, my friends are the weapons and I am their shield!
Image
Tsopaladin
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest