Block cap what is it? how it works ?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Block cap what is it? how it works ?

Postby Fenixas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:40 am

Hy

Im a new in tanking, while maintankadin helps me a ton, but i just keep hearing about block cap, well noob on me, but i cant find no topic or explanation about that, please explain me what is block cap, how it works or just give me some links here.

Thank you in advance and take care. :wink:
Fenixas

Re: Block cap what is it? how it works ?

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:12 am

Your block + parry + dodge + miss chance from Defense add up to 102.4% with Holy Shield up. This means the worst result you'll ever see from an attack is a block.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenixas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 am

Thanks allot :)

now all becomes clear
Fenixas

Postby Beatus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 am

this may be a very very very stupid questions....

So as long as im @ defense cap (540) i dont need to have gear with block % chance on it at all?

but just need dodge parry ect and ( block value as a lesser importance ?
Beatus

Postby Wrathy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:23 am

All that the defense minimum (540) does is prevent you from being crit. Block cap and its importance in your gear set will depend on the content that you are tanking. If you are tanking anything pre Ulduar, then block is a very effective damage mitigation stat. Once you enter Ulduar and beyond it becomes less attractive, but still somewhat effective in damage mitigation.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Beatus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 am

ok and whats the block cap please m8?

ps thank you for taking the time answering stupid questions its the only bit im not sure on u see

im mainly doing Uldar and better but wana build good Block kit for soloing old instances

Cheers
Beatus

Postby Viycktor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:39 pm

The block cap is when you block% + parry% + dodge% + %chanced to be missed -after diminishing returns are accounted for- totally pushes the enemy's chance to hit you off the table.

You take no unavoided, unmissed, or unblocked hits.

For a boss-level mob (3 levels higher than you), this it 102.4%.

I think it breaks down linearly, for an even-level mob the number is 100%, for level+1 it's 100.8%, for level+2 it's 101.6%.

If your goal is to solo old instances (where the mob level is much lower than you)... Ret is probably better. Or just put on some ret gear depending on how old the instances are (lvl 60 vs lvl 70). If you're looking at doing lvl 60/70 instances in a block set (which is admittedly overkill, duoing 80 heroics with another dps or hybrid is what you want a block set for)... you may want to look into a Petrified Lichen Guard with a shield spike and that trinket that I can't remember the name of from Shattered Halls... the passive damage output is significant compared to mob hp.
Viycktor

Postby Arcand » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Viycktor wrote:that trinket that I can't remember the name of from Shattered Halls

Figurine of the Colossus?
Arcand

Postby Beatus » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:42 am

Viycktor wrote:The block cap is when you block% + parry% + dodge% + %chanced to be missed -after diminishing returns are accounted for- totally pushes the enemy's chance to hit you off the table.

You take no unavoided, unmissed, or unblocked hits.

For a boss-level mob (3 levels higher than you), this it 102.4%.

I think it breaks down linearly, for an even-level mob the number is 100%, for level+1 it's 100.8%, for level+2 it's 101.6%.

If your goal is to solo old instances (where the mob level is much lower than you)... Ret is probably better. Or just put on some ret gear depending on how old the instances are (lvl 60 vs lvl 70). If you're looking at doing lvl 60/70 instances in a block set (which is admittedly overkill, duoing 80 heroics with another dps or hybrid is what you want a block set for)... you may want to look into a Petrified Lichen Guard with a shield spike and that trinket that I can't remember the name of from Shattered Halls... the passive damage output is significant compared to mob hp.

Ty very much for breaking that down for me its was the last major peice of the puzzle about understanding the basics of my new Tanking role :)

Hugely appreciated

/Beatus
Khadgar
Beatus

Return to Basic Training & Talents