Remove Advertisements

Heroic Gundrak

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Heroic Gundrak

Postby loudent2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Not that I ever plan to run it again, but can someone explain how one is supposed to tank that first boss in heroic Gundrak? Snakes refuse to take aggro and run right past me to the party members. I sat in the doorway and had concecration up and was constatly switching to go after the snakes but they''d slide right past me, then I'd inevitably fall in the water going up to finish the snakes.

I'd almost think we'd be better off in the middle of the room, easier to target and kill the snakes.
loudent2

Re: Heroic Gundrak

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Have everyone in the group, healer included, stand at the very top of the stairs/ramp where you came in.

Pull the boss.

Run to the platform just below the very top of the ramp.

Tank the boss there.

Melee dps must move out of the Poison Nova range when it's being cast.

It takes the snakes so long to come all the way up the ramp that the boss should be dead by the time the snakes get there. They'll despawn as soon as the boss is dead.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Isetnefret » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 pm

What Nika said, but also make sure you aren't bringing gimp DPS.....

They need to be reasonably geared to run heroics. Not Full T8 mind you...but not 100% greens either...
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 pm

I clear the boss room (except him, of course), and go out the far door. Clear the snakes and troll pat there.

I pull the boss from his platform, through the far door, to the first mount past the door. Ranged hangs out on the next mound. Snakes spawn from his altar, so they take a while to arive. By the time the snakes can get all the way to the ranged, the boss is usually dead or near enough that even losing the healer wouldn't matter.

The only down-side to this strategy is that most of the time you'll forget to go back to the boss' altar to activate it.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Baelik » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am

Consecration does damage in periodic ticks over time. So it is very possible for quick mobs to go over your consecrate and completely avoid the damaging tick. This is the weakness of Consecration (besides being a self mana-drain).

You can do one of 2 things to capture your slippery targets:
  • Use Consecrate when you have the most around you. This way the first tick will capture majority and you can get the rest using other means
  • Use Consecrate near the healers/ranged. This way when they stop at their target your consecrate will deal enough damage for them to target you again.
For this encounter however, you will probably find it easier to do the tactics described by Nikachelle or Koatanga as this buys you more time before you get any of the annoying adds.
Baelik

Postby Discus » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:19 am

We used to ignore first boss and kill 2nd boss then tank would pull 1st boss back to room where 2nd boss was with healer/ranged standing back where 2nd boss was and tank/mellee tanking him in centre of 2nd boss room.
Discus

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:22 am

Discus wrote:We used to ignore first boss and kill 2nd boss then tank would pull 1st boss back to room where 2nd boss was with healer/ranged standing back where 2nd boss was and tank/mellee tanking him in centre of 2nd boss room.

This is exactly what we do.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Corpsicle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 am

If you are running with a new to 80 group, having dps swap targets and kill the snakes fast works reasonably well. I healed a run with a friend's warrior alt tanking and 3 pugs that were not fully nax 10 geared and after folks both got out of poison nova and killed the snakes as they came in, it was fairly smooth. We pulled boss to doorway we came in through, tank stood boss in the doorway, melee and range ducked around corners to break line of sight on poison nova. The snakes don't do 'that' much damage if they aren't on you, but if they are n't killed they will likely wrap your healer or tank, wiping the run.
Corpsicle

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 am

It is possible, but unheard of, for DPS to break you out of Snake Wrap. ><
Arcand

Postby bub64882 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Barathorn wrote:
Discus wrote:We used to ignore first boss and kill 2nd boss then tank would pull 1st boss back to room where 2nd boss was with healer/ranged standing back where 2nd boss was and tank/mellee tanking him in centre of 2nd boss room.

This is exactly what we do.

Same...the advantage to this over just TnS him (if you are somewhat over geared) is that you will usually get an achivement kill, since no one gets snake wrapped. It takes a while for the snakes to get there, and the boss is usually dead by then. Still have to watch out for poison nova, though.
bub64882

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:54 am

Mind sear lol.

srs Kill the snakes and the fight is.. meh.
Sarutankah

Postby Lid » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:20 am

If your dps is good enough, you can ignore the encounter mechanics and just burn him down. Last try I had, we still had a few good seconds on bloodlust after the boss dropped.
Lid

Postby Playdoh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:06 pm

It is not necessarily the tanks job to pick up the snake adds, it is absolutely the dps's job to kill the adds fast. Actually it really reminds me of a beginner lesson for VoA Emalon.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:37 am

I just drag him up to the landing just before the entrance level and nuke him there, makes it rediculously easy.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby gokuson » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:29 am

just nuke the boss, with 3 4k+ dps, nuke, avoid nova if he gets to cast it, and get the achiemvent
gokuson

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents