Remove Advertisements

Heroics Basics ?: Multiple mobs and SoV

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Heroics Basics ?: Multiple mobs and SoV

Postby Xish » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 am

New to tanking, just started working through heroics. Had a quick question about trash kills and Seal of Vengeance. This is probably common knowledge, but I'm new.

AE tanking is apparently the Tankadin's niche, but not all our abilities are AE, i.e. Judgements and SoR AND the SoV stacks. When trying to build threat on 3 or 4 targets, I'll HoR and Consecrate, but when it comes to Judging, SoR'ing, and auto-attacking for the SoV stack, do I split those abilities among the 3/4 or do I focus on one at a time? Seems like if I don't somehow focus on one for auto-attacking, I kinda lose the benefit of SoV. How is it recommended to handle these situations?
Xish

Re: Heroics Basics ?: Multiple mobs and SoV

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 am

Focus on the primary target. SoV will stack by itself on 2 secondary targets due to HotR. Once you have a comfortable threat lead, or your target is dead, just switch to a different target. You shouldn't bother trying to autoattack, swap, attack, swap, attack. That's just a pain in the ass and more work than necessary.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Spectrum » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

If stuff is really dying fast you should switching to Seal of Righteousness, but I just don't bother most of the time.

Between HotR, Consecrate, Holy Shield, and AS I can't remember the last time I had a problem with AE threat. If you've got all of those going when they're off cooldown you shouldn't have a problem.

I really like the HotR glyph too, mostly because it means I can glue four mobs on myself to the frustration of our OT in 10s. It's handy for all those 4-packs in heroics as well.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelik » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 am

When you use single target abilities on one mob, you effectively increase the time required for any DPSer in your group to gain aggro from that mob. This allows you to focus on your other targets for longer to hold hate.

One piece of information that has served me the best is the knowledge that SotR is the hardest hitting and highest threat generating ability. I've noticed that if I do my rotations and hit SotR twice the mob sticks like glue.

This is what I do for large trash pack pulls:
  • Pull using AS on mobs behind Skull (hoping it hits everything but skull)
  • SotR Skull perform rotation till you hit second SotR
  • Switch target, and then again after every rotation
  • Cycle SotR and HotR throughout the pack evenly
Before there is need to worry the mobs are dead. SoV + HotR works its magic in the background especially if you can cycle your targets on this one. If things go differently than planned you have to improvise.

There is no substitute to experience in tanking. So practice and experimentation will be your best teachers. Omen (or any threat meter addon) is your friend.
Baelik

Return to Basic Training & Talents