Remove Advertisements

Divine Protection

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Divine Protection

Postby Kanta » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:35 am

Not sure if this belongs in here, advanced, other classadin, or the ulduar strats section, but I figure since it's a baseline ability I'd ask here. I played on my rogue from mid BC to about 2 or 3 weeks ago and jumped back on my pally (missed tanking too much), and missed out on most of the changes, although I think I've brought myself up to speed on most everything thanks to this site. I know that most of the strats that involve pallies and hard hitting bosses that require CD's usually involve a combination of CD's from the individual tanking as well as external CD's (GS, imp. LoH, etc). My question is that my guild has their holy pally in raid use Divine Protection on the MT for the nasty things (mimiron plasma, etc) and I thought that was a self-only buff. All of the posts I've seen from everyone here always say the non tanking paladin (if specced, ofc) pops bubble and then pops Divine Sacrifice and that acts as the damage reduction for the MT. Am I missing something here, or does it just not apply to tanking paladins because of forbearance preventing us from using our own CD's?
Kanta

Re: Divine Protection

Postby Gamingdevil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 am

Divine Protection is indeed a selfbuff. I'd say he means Hand of Protection, but it'd be pretty stupid to use that on a tank.

I'm fairly certain they're calling another ability by the wrong name. Probably bubble + Hand of Sacrifice.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Kanta » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:16 am

the problem is that they linked it in chat and it was indeed divine protection and someone commented on it not working the first time when the tank died and asked if it had gone off, since the tank didn't notice any buff/debuff appearing. The response from the paladin was that the spell "always puts forbearance on the casting paladin". If DP is a self-only buff I can point that out and make sure that from now on bubble+DSac or HoSac are used. I know that the wowhead spell entry on it includes a self only aura application, but I wasn't sure if that was the damage reduction effect or the forbearance effect, sometimes the spell stuff isn't very explanatory.
Kanta

Postby Gamingdevil » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:19 am

This would be a good time to /facepalm... Yes, Divine Protection is self only.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby abinning » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:19 am

Wow.

Well... maybe....

Did someone perhaps mistake Divine Scrifice+Bubble for casting a bubble on the tank?
abinning

Postby Lore » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am

Ebay?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kanta » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am

probably not ebay, I raided with these guys for a while now, they may just have assumed and since it's mimiron 10, there's the possibility that since they're spamming heals on a well geared tank, they may just miss the sudden drop/rise in health while a plasma blast nearly kills the tank when it doesn't kill him. I'll be sure to try and make the point that it's bubble+dsac that pallies have as an external CD, and not DP, although there is the whole having to spec into Dsac to conisder...
Kanta

Postby Lore » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am

I don't know how it would be possible to level a paladin to 80 and not realize that DP is self-only.

Hand of Sac is an external CD that requires no talent points.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kanta » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 am

that works
Kanta

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:18 am

For what its worth, I'm experimenting with a 51-20-0 build after having used a 51-0-20 build for forever. So far, as long as I keep my holy crit over 25% unbuffed, I'm not seeing any difficulty with maintaining holy light spam in 10 man raid settings and BG pvp. There is a nice boost to spell strength from divinity and imp. devo aura with this build, my holy lights went from 9600 to 12008 non crit. My initial concerns were with mana regen but so far I haven't had any problems when buffed and with replenishment in the raid. The added boost of having Divine Sacrifice + Bubble for a raidwide shield wall seems well worth the swap. If you talk to any of the pallies about swapping builds, tell them to give it a try for a week - the loss of the 8% crit when raid buffed isn't that noticeable if you have a decent gear set.
Corpsicle

Postby oweneagle » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Sorry miss read post
edited to remove my stupidity :)
oweneagle

Postby Kanta » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 am

Brought this up last night right before Vezax and either it works or Vezax 10 doesn't 1 shot decently geared tanks on shadow crash (MT's health bar was going down a good bit but that's what I expected, and I haven't done it before for comparison). Rather than push the issue any further, as the paladin is adamant that DP is usable on others (I blame the tooltip text) I guess I will tell them to re-evaluate when we get up to Vezax in 25 man, where I understand unavoided hits will 1-shot the MT without cooldowns (barring maybe critical block + shield block up?).
Kanta

Postby badgermonkey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Get him in a party, tell him to cast Divine Protection on you, then ridicule him when he realises he's a tard? :wink:
badgermonkey

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm actually at a loss for words. You're running in a raid with a bunch of retards. Get the hell out of there.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Kanta wrote:Brought this up last night right before Vezax and either it works or Vezax 10 doesn't 1 shot decently geared tanks on shadow crash (MT's health bar was going down a good bit but that's what I expected, and I haven't done it before for comparison). Rather than push the issue any further, as the paladin is adamant that DP is usable on others (I blame the tooltip text) I guess I will tell them to re-evaluate when we get up to Vezax in 25 man, where I understand unavoided hits will 1-shot the MT without cooldowns (barring maybe critical block + shield block up?).

He's a freaking retard. Tell him to cast Hand of Protection on someone (that he is partied with) and check to see who gets the buff and the debuff. Then have him cast Divine Protection on someone and check again. Have him do this without buffs so he can plainly see that he got the buff and debuff and not the person he casted it on. Then have him check the combat log if that's not proof enough.

This is pretty darn easy to prove, and I can't understand how he doesn't realize it. FFS, you could just bring like 10 pallys to a raid and you'd have 100% uptime of DP on your tank if it worked the way he is suggesting.

You could also record your log on Vezax or Mimiron, and use one of the online parsers that show buff/debuff uptime. In fact, I challenge you to find me one WWS log with a class other than a pally that has Divine Protection on them.

He could also look at the spell description link http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=498 and see that range is zero and it indicates it is only self cast. Have him stand like 100yards from someone and try to heal them, he'll get an out of range error, but he can still cast DP, because it only casts on himself.

Also, no 10 man Vezax won't one shot a tank, but 25 man will.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Return to Basic Training & Talents