969 all the time or just the bosses/groups?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

969 all the time or just the bosses/groups?

Postby loudent2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:23 pm

I've been working diligently on my 969 rotation but, I must admit, I'm starting to switch it up for a lot of the fights I find myself in. Divine plea and SA only go so far and even with BoS I can find myself 969ing myself to 0 mana. In particular it's concecration. Don't get me wrong concecration can be incredibly useful establishing aggro but once that's established I often find msyelf desperately looking for something else to cast when Cons. comes up in the rotation.

This is most notable in instances where you fight one or two, then one or two more etc etc. DP cooldown often precludes it from being up.

So to the proffesionals, do you dilligently 969 or, do you sometimes go a non-optimal route to maintain a mana supply?
loudent2

Re: 969 all the time or just the bosses/groups?

Postby Arcand » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:25 pm

On trash I mix it up a lot to avoid wasting a judgement on an about-to-die target, shield slamming a target I have well controlled, and so forth. On bosses I keep it as perfect as I can manage.
Arcand

Postby Chicken » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Depends a bit on the content as well, on 25-man content you should typically be fine with the full 969, 10-man content you might want be a bit careful with your Consecration usage, and for 5-man content you usually want to keep Consecration usage to a basic minimum (Depending on pack size).

I know I used to use Seal of Wisdom for 5-mans and 10-mans prior to the Divine Plea refreshing change, though can't say I've had issues lately so long as I didn't use Consecration with less than three or so mobs.
Chicken

Postby Baelik » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:48 am

969 is a great rotation and it is the optimal rotation for threat. Which I translate as, if you don't have threat problems, you can modify it as you see fit. Take it as a guide and not a rule of tanking.

Beginning tanks can use Consecration to get comfortable with threat generation. However, over time you should learn to confidently skip Consecration and use other abilities that consume less mana to keep up threat.

Honestly I think a tank will learn very less from following the 969 rotation unquestioningly than the one who experiments.
Baelik

Postby Worldie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 am

Fact is that on trashs you can pretty much faceroll and still hold aggro usually.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby hoho » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:21 am

Worldie wrote:Fact is that on trashs you can pretty much faceroll and still hold aggro usually.
Too bad our tanks don't faceroll hard enough, berserking+inner focus+mind sear tends to pull off a few adds every now and then :-P
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:37 pm

I good tank knows what threat he puts out, so will know what rotations to do.
On trash i kinda stick to 969, but really i just do what i feel is needed - usually the multimob attacks first
Consecration, HoTR, Holy Wrath (if undead) and Avengers shield.

Bosses its mostly 969 unless the situation dictates otherwise.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:40 pm

Against one target, I fall into 969 more often than not. In multi-mob packs or situations like Thorim's arena, I usually save ShoR for upfront threat and prioritize Consecration
Lore
Global Mod

Postby lusisia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 am

not that I'm saying anything different than anything anyone else has said but this was something I put on our guild forums in response to the same question:

As for the rotation, here's the deal. The 96969 rotation is the OPTIMAL rotation for paladin tanking in generating threat. It's sad that it can be broken down into a cookie cutter macro but that's the way it is.

Do I use it? Yes with the caveat that I know when to break it. You will never keep that rotation up on trash fights. Honestly, half the time you won't be able to keep it up on boss fights if there's a lot of movement.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try though. 96969 is one of those bits of information that is important for a new paladin tank to know but as you get experience, you know when to deviate from it and how to get back into it.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Widdox » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:48 am

On trash if my target is set to be the first to die. I'll admit I throw 969 out the window. (ok so not really)

Generally I hit AS, judge on the way in(to proc libram of obstruction) Then hit Shield slam, followed by exorcism, then HOTR then consecrate. Then I'll work into my 969 rotation which I never really left, I just try and stack as many high dmg abilities at the front of the attack as possible for that burst.
Widdox

Return to Basic Training & Talents