Remove Advertisements

Got hammered in my first run through heroics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Got hammered in my first run through heroics

Postby loudent2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Mindrak wrote:It's always a good idea to trinket at 20-30% and shield wall at 10-20% in a heroic on a boss with a PUG if they're still available.

I went to the glossary here but could not find a reference for trinket (I know what a trinket is but you're using it as a verb) or shield wall which seems to be a warrior abilitiy. Can you explain what you mean here

Feel free to use a tanking cooldown every pull until you're really familiar with the instance.

Again, not sure what a "tanking cooldown" is.
loudent2

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Our version of Shield Wall is called Divine Protection. Some trinkets, give big increases to tanking stats for a short period of time when used. People use the verb "trinket" as a way of saying they use their trinket. Divine Protection is considered a cooldown skill, it provides a lot of mitigation for a short period of time with a fairly sizable cooldown. Glyph of Salvation turns Hand of Salvation into a cooldown type skill if you cast it on yourself, but obviously you have to manage threat.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Mindrak » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

loudent2 wrote:I know what a trinket is but you're using it as a verb

Trinket started being used as a verb back when the pvp insignias came out which removed any effect which made you lose control of your character. When trinkets with abilities on cooldown that assisted tanks became popular, the language was used there too.

Occasionally people refer to using the human pvp ability as trinketing out of something, because it's the same effect.

loudent2 wrote:shield wall which seems to be a warrior abilitiy

Non paladins generally don't understand divine protection, they understand shield wall.

loudent2 wrote:not sure what a "tanking cooldown" is.

A tanking cooldown is anything that will assist you defensively while tanking with a duration shorter than the cooldown. Some people consider consumables as part of this too.

For example on Myndrak I'll use:
Divine Protection
Trinket activation (health/armor/avoidance)
Divine Shield / Human racial / Blessing of Freedom to drop debuffs
Healthstone
Healing / Armor potion
Lay on hands
Hammer of Justice (generally not referred to as a tanking cooldown, but can be used as one)

I don't have the salvation glyph
Mindrak

Postby loudent2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 pm

ah, I understand now. Thanks
loudent2

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents