Remove Advertisements

help please! i take to much dmg...

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

help please! i take to much dmg...

Postby vardern » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm

hey guys i am after some advice, as i said in my other topic about old world stuff i am kind of new to being a tankadin..

when tanking hcs or voa i take alot of dmg and alot of the time it seems like a lot of work for the healer to heal me ( i am comparing this to thwn i used to tank on a feral druid! )

my armoury is: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... ver&n=Xade
but i dont know if i logged out in myprot stuff so ill list my main stats here:

hp: (unbuffed - 25.7k)
armour: ( with defo aura) - 24,321
defence: 551
dodge: 19.73%
parry: 16.22%
block: 11.04%

you can see my spec on the armoury aswell ( please ignore one of the prot glyphs i respeced from holy to prot and havent chanced that one glyph yet)

if you can advise me on what to do about taking so much dmg it would be awesome, atm i mainly grp with friends who i trust with healing kind of nervious to mt a pug while i take so much dmg!

thanks
vardern

Re: help please! i take to much dmg...

Postby Arcand » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:05 pm

You seem to be in ret gear; log out in your tank stuff tonight and we can try again tomorrow?
Arcand

Postby vardern » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:11 pm

i will do :D
thanks
vardern

Postby vardern » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:56 pm

vardern

Postby Argali » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Parry gems?

It has been worked out with the power of MATHS that Seals of the Pure is inferior to Conviction.
Argali

Postby amh » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 pm

A big part of "taking too much damage" is in your (or rather your healer's) head. Is the health-bar moving a lot? Yeah, taking a lot of damage.. In most gear-sets you'll have more health on your druid, thus it will trigger a bigger "oh-shit" effect when your paladin takes a bit hit.

If you want to truly compare damage taken, you would have to get some log-parses to look at. Chances are the damage taken per second is rather similar on raid-bosses, and skew in favor of your paladin in heroics due to block becoming stronger the weaker hits you're facing. Your druid gets a "shield" every time it crits, right? And that absorb-effect will only affect one hit? The major difference is that where taking five consequtive hits would take your druid to 50% health, your paladin might drop down to 30%. It just looks more dramatic, though the actual damage taken is not all that big in comparison.

There's a few things you can do to improve your paladin, but already having a tank I reckon you're aware of your alternatives.
- Proper head-enchant
- Proper shoulder-enchant. 20 dodge or 30 stam, depending on your preferences
- Proper cloak-enchant
- Proper leg-enchant

As Argali says, parry-gems are bad, m'kay? :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Bastien » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Argali wrote:It has been worked out with the power of MATHS that Seals of the Pure is inferior to Conviction.

This is with regard to threat generation, not necessarily incoming damage.

amh wrote:If you want to truly compare damage taken, you would have to get some log-parses to look at. Chances are the damage taken per second is rather similar on raid-bosses, and skew in favor of your paladin in heroics due to block becoming stronger the weaker hits you're facing. Your druid gets a "shield" every time it crits, right? And that absorb-effect will only affect one hit? The major difference is that where taking five consequtive hits would take your druid to 50% health, your paladin might drop down to 30%. It just looks more dramatic, though the actual damage taken is not all that big in comparison.

Basically this.

Also, one thing to keep in mind: for heroics and Naxx, block is still useful (even moreso after 3.2). You sould stand to stack more of it.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:35 pm

amh wrote:- Proper shoulder-enchant. 20 dodge or 30 stam, depending on your preferences

Stam to shoulders is a bad option...it's dodge *and* def from the proper enchant. Agree with the rest of you post though.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby vardern » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:03 am

ok thanks guys,

going to replace gems and get grinding the rep for the enchants!
vardern

Postby dmok » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:31 am

vardern wrote:ok thanks guys,

going to replace gems and get grinding the rep for the enchants!

Just to give you a small pointer for your ret spec too. 2/2 Improved judgements is fantastic for a dps increase as ret. Ret judgements are huge, and anything you can do to make them more frequent is a good thing :)
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby vardern » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:09 am

hey guys,

i have updated my gems and gotten a proper shoulder enchant + leg working now on the head enchant and should get the tourney weapon tomorrow.

can i ask 1 more thing, with my current gear and stats i did that macro about avoidance and it says i have 47% avoidance is that enough with what i have to mt naxx 10?

cheers
vardern

Postby amh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:14 am

Your gear is fine for Naxx25, nothing to worry about
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:02 am

If your healer is complaining about your damage intake in heroics they're either crap/slacking/etc or the DPS is DPSing while bane is up QQ. Stats looks fine, holy shield is win.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Pkhearts » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:32 am

To be completely honest, I have been worrying about the same thing recently. I've been told that my gear was absolutely in tune with what I was tanking (which was Patchwerk at the time) although I experienced many deaths due to Hateful Strikes. You'll learn that you become very reliable on your luck and talent of the ones healing you.
Pkhearts

Return to Basic Training & Talents