Another How do you make Gold thread?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Another How do you make Gold thread?

Postby Arcand » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

Chronotriggerjm wrote:Search for every piece of defense rated gear from Cobalt and beyond. People blow past this area while skilling up, and never go back to it. I have no idea why.

Because when we were all skilling up at once, we were all trying to auction this stuff at the same time. There were dozens on the AH for below material cost, and after you see that a few times the lesson you learn is 'no money to be made on this'.

The better lesson, as you're reminding us, would have been 'no money to be made on this now, try again later'. :)
Arcand

Postby Blackteddy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Since you can now prospect titanium ore, people have been mining a lot more. So there is a lot of saronite ore in the AH for a good margin below market value.

Take those green gems, and crystallized earth (which have always been cheap) and make green rings and necklaces. DE them and sell mats. And you can cut and sell the blue quality gems. The gem market has gone up as well, since ToC is easy and farm-able and conquest badges fall from the sky.
Blackteddy

Postby phaqueue » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:30 am

How to make gold:

www.greedygoblin.blogspot.com
www.justmytwocopper.blogspot.com

download auctioneer, lil'sparky workshop and some mail mod

Currently I am pretty poor (I quit and gave away most of my gold before I quit)

but before I quit, I was sitting at around 70,000g after buying my Vendor Mammoth and 2 nobles decks...
This was without farming or grinding dailies... it was from just playing the AH

there is no such thing as "making gold is impossible on my server" people say that all the time - it's not true... the real statement is "the way you suggested is already taken and I can't be bothered to do the research to find another"

Gevlon has proven this by having people pick what they thought to be the worst possible server, and making around 2500g in a few weeks...

If the markets that are suggested there are taken, start looking for others - all it takes is taking stock of what tradeskills you have and finding how to use them effectively.

Netherweave bags are an excellent example of this - they sell for 3-5g profit on most servers...

Same with certain out-of-the-way vendor recipes...

it's all about finding a market and using it...

if you want some more tips - hit me up in PM I'll help as best I can
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Velaegis » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 am

Discus wrote:In WoTLK Blizzard rightly declared war on Professional Gold Farmers

Did they? How so?
Velaegis

Postby amh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:42 am

Velaegis wrote:
Discus wrote:In WoTLK Blizzard rightly declared war on Professional Gold Farmers

Did they? How so?

By making it so easy to get a hold of that even I feel rich between wipes.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 am

Kivas wrote:AND PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE enchanters, don't advertise [Enchanting] Free with your mats! even if you are going for skill ups!
How about "[Enchanting] with your mats, YOU get 50g if I get a skillup!"

I see things like that spammed quite often in Al'Akir. I tried doing something similar when leveling my enchanting but I got around 1-2 customers per day at best. In the end I just spammed my skills in gchat after every raid and went from 420->450 in two weeks doing enchants just for myself and guildies.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Discus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:47 am

>[
By making it so easy to get a hold of that even I feel rich between wipes.

I would agree that Blizz have made significant inroads into the Gold Farmers. However, I would disagree that they've made Gold easier to make. The reason I created this thread was I found my G/hour farming at 80 in WoTLK roughly similar to at level 70 and was expecting it to be much higher (just as Gold making at level 70 was much much easier than at 60). Reviewing this thread and the credible Gold/hr posts everything seems to support this. Taking into account the inflation of everything else in WoTLK, I think Blizz have done well to stabilise the economy. It still takes time to make Gold though and, if like me you play casual, it means sacrificing some of your precious raid time to make enough Gold to pay for repairs/enchants etc.

Whether this is a good or bad thing i.e. is Gold making a distraction or enjoyable change is a matter of opinion.
Discus

Postby Thaser11 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:36 pm

After coming back to the game a few months after WotLK and starting from scratch on a new server, I've found it quite easy to make gold.

Due to being deployed and having an unreliable connection I really dont run instances at all really though so this probably won't work for everyone. I just hit 80 on my 2nd character, my pally (first being a DK) and through northrend I did the achievement for every zone completeing XX # of quests in that zone and selling most of the quest rewards. By the time I was 80 I didn't have any trouble buying my epic flyer for my DK, the 2h titansteel mace, the bear mount and still had a couple thousand gold left.

With my pally I am going through the same approach, I just ding'd 80, and havent even quested in Shalozar, Storm Peaks or Ice Crown yet. I have about 3K gold towards my flyer and spent about 2.5k the past couple weeks power leveling mining and BS to about 450/415 respectively.

My advice is to grab an addon that tells you what quest rewards sell for the most money and always go for the one that sells for the most and you will never have a problem. I can make around 1K gold in a day if I were really motivated just questing, not even counting the available dailies.
Thaser11

Postby Torquemada » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Being that I'm on a crappy laptop atm instead of my desktop(Desktop hasn't made it to Korea yet), I had to give up Auctioneer in order to not kill my memory because it's a huge resource hog. That and a lot of people in my guild do that ? query and I CBF to turn that off for every toon I have(4 80s and a 74 Rogue as of this posting). I ended up switching to Auctionator, which I actually prefer for scanning individual prices per stack and showing the cheapest and whatnot. It isn't as robust as Auctioneer, but it's much lighter on the system and completely functional.

After getting my mechano-hog I stopped farming the AH with a healthy stack of gold to get me through raids and repairs. Then I started working on the Insane feat, gemming and enchanting out my ret set(Went PVE from PVP so I could actually do something useful when not tanking), and epic flying for the Rogue broke me pretty hard. Went back to the AH and had a gleegasm.

Gems are fairly dead on my current server. I'm not a fan of farming anything, whether it's honor or badges to sell gems, so meh. That said I will farm for my own gear.

Inscription supposedly has a small market. When I have more time I'm going to go in Gevlon style and destroy the market and corner it(Still making a profit in the process), but with my work schedule I can't be on every day to post, and I'm also still learning glyphs through research on the Warrior.

BSing is far from dead. People always need belt buckles, and right now they're going for about 74 gold per on the AH. Now consider that they take maybe 32 gold or less to make. Mmmm. Profit.

The Netherweave bags have always been one of my biggest sellers, but I haven't been bothered to make any lately merely because it's time consuming to make the cloth and then the bags, and I haven't had the free time.

Finally if you can hold off from buying the Triumph gear yourself for a bit, Crusader Orbs are selling for about 5k per on my server. I can't imagine they aren't going for the same amount on yours. If you already have your libram/ring and maybe shoulders, you're fine. The rest of your Ulduar gear was already good enough for ToC, and you'll be farming that crap for months anyway. Strike while the iron is hot.
Torquemada

Postby superworm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Torquemada wrote:Inscription supposedly has a small market. When I have more time I'm going to go in Gevlon style and destroy the market and corner it(Still making a profit in the process), but with my work schedule I can't be on every day to post, and I'm also still learning glyphs through research on the Warrior.

BSing is far from dead. People always need belt buckles, and right now they're going for about 74 gold per on the AH. Now consider that they take maybe 32 gold or less to make. Mmmm. Profit.

The Netherweave bags have always been one of my biggest sellers, but I haven't been bothered to make any lately merely because it's time consuming to make the cloth and then the bags, and I haven't had the free time.

On my current server, almost no glyphs sell more than 10G in AH; buckles sell averagely 30G, cobalt ores 20G, saronite ores 12G and titanum ores 200G; frostweave bags sell for 50G each. It's really hard to make any profit from these items.
That being said, dragon's eye is selling for 100G each on my server. So JCs could make a steady extra earn of 100G each day by doing their JC daily.
superworm

Postby phaqueue » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:07 pm

superworm wrote:
On my current server, almost no glyphs sell more than 10G in AH; buckles sell averagely 30G, cobalt ores 20G, saronite ores 12G and titanum ores 200G; frostweave bags sell for 50G each. It's really hard to make any profit from these items.
That being said, dragon's eye is selling for 100G each on my server. So JCs could make a steady extra earn of 100G each day by doing their JC daily.

actually - I make a killing selling glyphs at 10g per...

if you value the Ink of the Sea at 6g per, and the Snowfall Ink at 18g each (average prices on my server) you could make 4g profit per glyph you sell at 10g...

the cutoff point at those rates is around 30g per stack of herbs - so as long as you get them for less than 30g per stack (average on my server is 15-20g per stack for some -and any northrend herb works) you at least break even just selling the snowfall ink - and anything you get from glyphs is pure profit...

it's all about doing the math honestly...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby hoho » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:35 am

Last night belt buckle prices went from 30->90 in about 1h. I quickly made 4 of them from mats I had in bank and put them on AH. Before I could reach anvil to make more two were sold. Half way back to AH my network connection dropped and I couldn't get back so far.
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Argali » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 am

hoho wrote:Last night belt buckle prices went from 30->90 in about 1h. I quickly made 4 of them from mats I had in bank and put them on AH. Before I could reach anvil to make more two were sold. Half way back to AH my network connection dropped and I couldn't get back so far.

s7 came out. duh.

Anything that's related to enchanting gear from belt buckles to ench mats to leg patches will go up for a short while.
Argali

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Crossing my fingers that these Saronite Razorheads sell. Apparently, they have a 3g build cost and could be resold for about a 10g profit. I don't know why I didn't look at that before...
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Dabrixmgp » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:37 am

I have slowed down some since I have 10k and feel thats enough for me right now. But I made a new bank alt and after 4 weeks shes at 25K gold earned from auctions. Im not a hardcore AH player but I think 25k in a month is a decent amount. I made all of it from JCing. I only bought 3 epic recipes but I made sure to get good ones, I got Str, Spellpower, and Defense/Stamina. I will probably get 30 stamina someday lol. I just sold all of my epic gems I got from using my honor points. I didnt replace my rare gems until this week once the prices dropped about 100g a gem since they went live. Now I just casually use my Icy Prism gems and if I see cheap saronite buy it but Im not really trying to get any gold right now. Also sell my Dragons Eye for an easy 100-120g since I have all the cuts I want.
Dabrixmgp

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents