Remove Advertisements

Another How do you make Gold thread?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Another How do you make Gold thread?

Postby Discus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:27 am

Running heroic Daily Halls of Stone last night I got quite a few relics of ulduar. Which made me wonder if any of the ulduar 5 mans can be solo farmed on normal for relics and whether the drop rate is worse/better than the well known caves in icecrown?
Discus

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

...Prospecting is very profitable if your saronite is cheap. I pay 12g per stack of saronite ore, and with a dozen or so stacks I can make 300g rather easily.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 am

Snake-Aes wrote:...Prospecting is very profitable if your saronite is cheap. I pay 12g per stack of saronite ore, and with a dozen or so stacks I can make 300g rather easily.

Want to know if prospecting is cheap on your server?

http://www.warcraftecon.net/?p=1777

use this spreadsheet - it's not perfect (but you can't be with RNG) but it does the math for you and tells you approximately how profitable prospecting would be for you...

enjoy!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Discus » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:12 am

Attack Geeks - please note this is not a whine/QQ just an observation and I'm very grateful for everything posted in this thread:

I've tried most WotLK Gold making strats now and NOTHING recommended in maintankadin or in any of the blogs like Goblin etc even comes close to the G/Hr-1 I used to make AoE farming supplicants at 70 (this was mainly down to the very valuable JC patterns/epics they regularly dropped, obviously these are near worthless now).

Every forum thread and every blog is full of people saying how easy it is to make G in WotLK and they are not wrong. But hold them down to details and strip away the boasting and you'll find they make all their money simply by hours of farming/playing the AH or using professions. The fact seems to be Gold per hour rates have barely changed from level 70 to 80 which, given the astronomical cost of lvl 80 BoE epics/repair bills/consumables actually means wealth (and by wealth I mean what you can buy not how many thousand G you have) is harder to come by at level 80 than level 70.

Of course I'd love to be proved wrong...
Discus

Postby phaqueue » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 am

I definitely agree that some of the gold/hour estimations are exaggerated, but I also think it has to do with how the gold is being made...

things like using professions - if I'm crafting a lot of the same item - I can set it to craft and then walk away, or posting large amounts of items, same thing - I don't really count that as time being wasted to make gold - as I can go do housework, schoolwork or whatever while it's automated...

on the other side - there are some things that just take a lot of time - milling/prospecting a lot of materials is one of these things - even with an automated system - this still takes a lot of time to do, and you have to be at the computer the whole time.

gold is extremely easy to come by, not necessarily easier than in TBC, but in some cases it is... take for example epic gems... in TBC there was a very long time where you could only really get epic gems from high level raids... in wrath you can now get them from alchemy, prospecting, honor, badges and in some raids (ony for example)

I think this has a huge impact on gold making, also dual-spec has encouraged people to get more gear sets... there are definitely people who are "casual" who used to only have 1 gear set - that now have more because of dual spec... and they are gemming/enchating said gear set.

there are some things that make it easier to make gold, and some that make it harder... I think the ease with which gear is acquired from raiding/heroics and PVP has made it easier for some professions to make gold - just because more people are getting gear that needs gems/enchants/armor kits

overall I agree with you - but in reality - it is easier in some cases to make more gold - and there are some things that work in wrath that never did in TBC - and others that just don't - that would have worked fine...

making gold comes down to finding the niches on your server, and exploiting them to the best of your ability
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby vegardhv » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 am

I previously earned my gold by mining. I was making 200-400g an hour, if mining area was underpopulated there was a lot more to be had, but it seemed kind of random - now mining was boring.

Now I've leveled JC on an alt, and you can indeed make some money on that one. Whenever I log in I check up on prices of uncut gems, and if prices are kind of high, I check what the cut gems are worth before buying, if prices are low I buy em anyways - there's probably a lot more potential here spamming trade chat for good deals.

Most cust gems on my server vary between 140-220g. If I can acquire the uncut for 100g there's at the least 30g to be made for just one gem, I put them out on ah in the afternoon for 12 hours, meaning I'll lose about 1,5g if they're not sold.

Now of course, there's a lot of undercutting going on, so in between heroics on my main, alt, I go check the ah what's going on with my gems, if they've been undercut or not - if so I throw in a couple more gems in that type (if I have them in stock, or can get them cheaply). The amounts I make now are pretty decent, and I'm sure with a little more structure there's more to be made. And for every new recipe I get there's a new market, though not all gems are as popular.

Then there's the daily JC quest, taking 10 minutes to do, giving you a token you can buy a dragon's eye and sell for 140g (on my server), though I prefer saving the tokens for recipes.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby æ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Fallen Heros

Pull 3-5 groups.

The hardest part about it is looting.

WTB AOE LOOTING
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby phaqueue » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:02 am

On the note of "how much gold per hour do I make on the AH"

http://justmytwocopper.blogspot.com/200 ... -make.html

great post addressing just that...

I like the idea of thinking in per "cycle" instead of per hour...

Also - I very much agree that one of the reasons gold per hour gets exaggerated is the "big fish story" problem... every time the story is retold - the fish gets bigger... people use gold/hour as a way to measure epeen - and since it's something other's can't really reliably measure just by looking at their character - they can lie and exaggerate all they want.
phaqueue

Postby lythac » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:23 am

Scroll of Enchant Weapon - Spellpower

I normally spend around 80g making one of these, Golden Pearl price fluctuates between 2-40g so I tend to buy them if they are 10g or less and will buy for 20g if I don't have a scroll on AH. Stick one on the AH every couple days, bid 250g buyout 300g, and it almost always goes for buyout price. It may be quite expensive but people want it for their BoA leveling weapons/twinks and don't want to spend hours in chat trying to find someone to do it for them.

Its not a huge money maker as the market is small but gives me enough to cover raid repairs and flask money. Spend 10 minutes a day on it (scouring for cheap Golden Pearl) so works out to be 527g/h.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents