Another How do you make Gold thread?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Another How do you make Gold thread?

Postby Discus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:05 am

In BC gold making was easy for tankadins - supplicants could be AOE farmed and they regularly dropped very valuable blues and epics. In WoTLK Blizzard rightly declared war on Professional Gold Farmers, however the side effects of this are I'm finding making Gold to gear my off-spec painfully slow, especially by AOE farming (one of the reasons I choose to be a tankadin).

Here's what I did:

Fishing - Values of fish have collapsed in my realm, I'm told because of fishing bots.
Mining - See above - the predicted titanium boom hasn't happened in my realm. BC and azeroth ores have crashed too.
AoE Farming (my favourite) - I used to farm the herds of mammoth running around Icecrown for Mega Mammoth Meals. They recently nerfed the herds so they don't drop the meat, only the solo mammoths now do. Why?!
Blacksmithing - waste of time in my realm - made items sell for far less than mats.
Dailies - this is what Blizz seem to be pushing us towards, but time spent travelling between them means it's far too slow to make Gold fast, I also hate questing.
Soloing oldworld bosses - Blizz have nerfed the drop rates making (after travel time etc) it not worth it.
Stratholme - everyone in my realm wants the mount everyone is at it so runecloth sells max 1g for 20.

One of the many aspects of this amazing game I used to adore was carving out an esoteric gold making niche in some obscure zone. I understand the difficulties of asking people for their secrets when the anti-fun Blizz nerf police may be watching but any help would be welcome :)
Discus

Re: Another How do you make Gold thread?

Postby Chicken » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 am

I still go for the good old soloing old raid instances. AQ20 is very good gold as Prot, Karazhan isn't bad either as Prot. For Onyxia and ZG I swap to ret simply for extra speed. MC is soloable as prot as well of course, though the money from it is pretty bad since most bosses don't drop gold, though there might be a market in Lava and Fiery Cores on your server since they're a pretty easy way of getting your Thorium Brotherhood rep up. Used to be a bit better prior to the gold drops being nerfed, but even now the money isn't bad, and I find it less boring than making money in conventional ways.

You can make more money in other ways of course, but I find the occasional old world raid combined with doing 10 or so dailies easily covers most of my costs. I even slowly make money.
Chicken

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 pm

http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/

Start at the beginning.

That blog inspired me to use my existing professions (and later to pick up inscription) and I made 50k in about 3 months with about an hour of work per day every other day, so about 1k gold/hr. It was also a fun learning experience.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:39 pm

Well if you know that you are doing and plan out a route, daily quests can a good way to make gold. I have a route in which I can complete 20 daily quests in just under an hour. The quests include the tournament champion dailies and I choose the gold pouch as my reward. Including the gold puches this will net me just over 300g in an hours work. Whenever I have a few spare hours I run them on my main and as many alts as I have time for. The speed varies depending which char I use and how their gear is.

I've never been a good AH player. Working the AH can lose you money if you don't know what you're doing like myself. Dailies, although repetitive, can generate a gauranteed and predictable income.
Makaijin

Postby Discus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:42 am

Thanks all, I fancy giving the raids a try - I was under the impression that recent cuts to Gold drops by raid bosses meant it was no longer worthwhile.

Apologies, I should have mentioned in my original post that I developed a clinical allergy to all forms of questing at level 40 and pretty much aoe ground from 70-80, so I still have most of the quests to do in WoLTK but won't be doing them anytime soon "Kill Mob X for 10 X drops" repeat forever.
Discus

Postby vegardhv » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 am

Mining = gold.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 am

I'm a miner and still make most from mining, but ore prices in my realm have been falling for some time now - I've tried all ores - WotlK, BC and Azeroth and none make much an hour now - even the higher priced Azeroth ores work out very little after you factor in travel time and no flying mount.
Discus

Postby vegardhv » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 am

How much do you need to earn to consider it good? I think there's 300-500 gold/hour to be made mining, on my realm anyway. Half of earnings probably from eternals, gems and other half from ore. Is 300-500 gold, or do you need more ? I guess there are differences between realms, maybe mining areas are overpopulated.

Yeah I tried mining thorium, since they were in high demand, but really, too far between ores and the ground mount is slow too.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Discus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 am

300-500g per hour would be lovely, mining I struggle to make 100/hour (very low prices and lots of competition in all areas).

Mining supplicants at 70 worked out around 2-300g per hour after factoring in the occasional JC pattern and epic. Unfortunately the epics and JC patterns have fallen in value so supplicants isn't worth it anymore.

Most of my gold making attempts at 80 barely make 100/hour.
Discus

Postby kanst » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 am

Discus wrote:300-500g per hour would be lovely, mining I struggle to make 100/hour (very low prices and lots of competition in all areas).

Mining supplicants at 70 worked out around 2-300g per hour after factoring in the occasional JC pattern and epic. Unfortunately the epics and JC patterns have fallen in value so supplicants isn't worth it anymore.

Most of my gold making attempts at 80 barely make 100/hour.

How much is ore selling for on your realm? At least on my realm one stack of titanium will fetch you 200-250 g so I normally mine until I have a stack, then I just prospect all the saronite, even though it sells 20g a stack. I can easily make 500g or so an hour mining. Its also nice cuz you can do it while watching a movie
kanst

Postby Annadin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 am

Lava / Fiery Cores are my preferred post-daily earner at the moment. They''ve gone mad on our server as everyone's pushing for 40 exalted reps and are going for up to 70g ea. :)

Nights that aren't Tuesday: Farm the lava packs around the room after Garr without killing Baron Geddon or Shaz (they're all pullable without adding a boss) then HS out. Return any time after 2 hours later, rinse repeat.

Tuesday night: repeat with added Garr / Geddon kills for the damn binding.
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby Discus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am

Last time I checked titansteel was around 100g a stack (but getting a stack takes hours as there is so much competition) and saronite ore 12g per 20 (see titansteel). Cobalt is slightly better but as Blizz have nerfed more and more of the gold making tricks even that has crashed due to competition.

Molten Core sounds interesting thanks - but again I fear travel time. Why is everyone going for exalted? Just the achievement?
Discus

Postby Viycktor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:51 am

Spectrum wrote:http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/

Start at the beginning.

That blog inspired me to use my existing professions (and later to pick up inscription) and I made 50k in about 3 months with about an hour of work per day every other day, so about 1k gold/hr. It was also a fun learning experience.

I do this, on a smaller scale. I don't want to put in the additional effort to corner the entire market. Though I WILL sell at low profit margins to try to push people out, I will usually opt to hold a few glyphs a few days that have been depressed to 2-4G profit until they can sell at 5-10G profit and spend more of my time trying to control only the 15-25G profit glyph market.

However, I've noticed that alot of people are trying the same thing and that inscription -while still INSANELY profitable- is getting less and less profitable... Seriously, on the weekends people post stacks of non-leveling glyphs a values below or equal to equivalent herbs or max level herbs sell for, my only rationale is that these are farmers who think they're making more profit by converting their farmed herbs into glyphs and selling those. If the market gets to that point I usually just bank the glyphs as Tues/Wed/Fir are my big sell days.

That said, my scrivener is now 80 and has paid for his epic flight as well as dual spec (DK - tank/dps leveling specs helped alot)... I'm estimating he's made about 10-15K profit in the last month and has spent the other 5-10K on expanding his business/materials/books of glyph mastery. I think overall, I've lost gold or just broken even at this point on the glyph mastery deal, but I like being able to make everything -so I know it's a personal defect.

MINING - It's always been rather profitable and will continue to be. It feeds 3 professions directly, so demand will remain high - and JC demand seems to control the market. I currently don't mine for profit because I don't like farming.

Herb - Feeds inscription and alchemy. I find that the valuable flask mats are what sell the best - don't sell on the weekends when there's alot of competition. (alternatively transmutes and flasks from Alchemy can be rather profitable - just WAIT for the PVP flask :))

BS - Most of my BS gold is made on belt buckles, but they don't move as fast as glyphs, so I don't spend alot of time trying to profit off of them.

There are lots of ways to make profit without farming, I personally think JC has better long-term potential than inscription, but with the patch cycles being sped up, glyphs seem to be continuing to be doing well.
Viycktor

Postby kanst » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Discus wrote:Last time I checked titansteel was around 100g a stack (but getting a stack takes hours as there is so much competition) and saronite ore 12g per 20 (see titansteel). Cobalt is slightly better but as Blizz have nerfed more and more of the gold making tricks even that has crashed due to competition.

Molten Core sounds interesting thanks - but again I fear travel time. Why is everyone going for exalted? Just the achievement?

I hope you mean titanium and not titansteel, either way I feel bad. My server is enormous and as long as I mine at a good hour I can get about a stack of titanium an hour or hour and a half
kanst

Postby Discus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:12 am

Yes Titananium ore is 100g per 20 not Titansteel, sorry.

Titansteel is about 70- 80 per bar. Belt Buckles 30g (were 90).

Generally if I find an free node in the time it takes me to click it 2-3 other miners will have landed tried too (at least they can no longer ninja).

As Blizz remove exploits the Gold farmers use, everyone else is pushed into a smaller and smaller field of options to make Gold.
Discus

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents