Remove Advertisements

Dodge / Agility gems

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: Dodge / Agility gems

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:26 pm

All this discussion is making my eyes hurt. Goddammit this would be so much easier if you guys could a) Actually make use of Expertise and b) Didn't get gobs of it just for being a Paladin. :P
Levantine

Postby amh » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:14 pm

I would love for expertise to be good, I think it´s a pretty cool stat.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 am

Worldie wrote:Agility and Dodge rating use the same Diminishing Return, so Agility will never become better than Dodge avoidance-wise, plain and simple.

Well, it will never become better than dodge in total avoidance, but it can become equal on a point-for-point basis for given intervals since AGI will be lower. e.g., if you're completely decked in dodge rating you will have more total dodge% even after DR, but if you instead go for agi then the last points of AGI could give comparable avoidance per point as dodge would in the first set up (though, again, due to starting lower on the curve). However, that point is never realistic since you always have a mix of AGI and dodge to begin with. Just rambling here, don't mind me.

I'd say dodge wins at the tier 7 level, but AGI wins for ulduar.
Elsie

Postby cougbait » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

badgermonkey wrote:I'm currently at 23% unbuffed dodge rating. My 3 red gems are agi + Sta.

Now would I be better set with these as dodge rating gems since I'm not HUGELY into dodge DR? I'm leaning towards keeping the agi/sta gems. I like them, plus, they're cheaper ;)

i would say keep them... but thats b/c i love my armor and the way it works with block and such
cougbait

Postby Kalakaua » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:16 am

Elsie wrote:
Worldie wrote:Agility and Dodge rating use the same Diminishing Return, so Agility will never become better than Dodge avoidance-wise, plain and simple.

Well, it will never become better than dodge in total avoidance, but it can become equal on a point-for-point basis for given intervals since AGI will be lower. e.g., if you're completely decked in dodge rating you will have more total dodge% even after DR, but if you instead go for agi then the last points of AGI could give comparable avoidance per point as dodge would in the first set up (though, again, due to starting lower on the curve). However, that point is never realistic since you always have a mix of AGI and dodge to begin with. Just rambling here, don't mind me.

I'd say dodge wins at the tier 7 level, but AGI wins for ulduar.

This post seems to imply that agility and dodge are on different DR curves for avoidance. This is untrue, they are both on the SAME curve. To illustrate my point, gonna make up some numbers to keep the math easy. Say that at 0% dodge, 10 dodge rating gives 1% dodge and 20 agiliy also gives 1% dodge. At 25% dodge, pretend that it now takes 20 dodge to get 1% dodge because of diminishing retrurns. No matter what your current agility is (even if it is 0), it will now take 40 agility to get 1% dodge.

In other words, if dodge rating is 50% better than agility for avoidance at 0% dodge, it will still be 50% better at 25% dodge. I will be 50% better at 30% dodge, 40% dodge, and at ALL points on the DR curve.

The argument for stacking agility at high levels of dodge is that both dodge rating and agility will give such small amounts of dodge, that the armor that agility provides might make it a better stat.
Kalakaua

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 am

And the crit more threat = good. (and its basically free)
Candiru

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents