Remove Advertisements

Dodge / Agility gems

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Dodge / Agility gems

Postby Java » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:53 am

I have been reading the basic & advanced training, the FAQ from Knaughty (it's really good), but I am still doubting about agility or dodge for gemming.

I mean I know that currently, Dodge > Agility but, after Blessing of Kings, the difference is really low (I haven't done the maths, but.. less than 1% maybe?), and we would be gaining some armor and some additional crit which is always nice.

Any hint / advice ?

Thanks in advance !

My character's armory --> Jhava (C'thun-EU)
Java

Re: Dodge / Agility gems

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:00 am

Many have switched to agility from dodge. I'm one of the many.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 am

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?p=438740#p438740

talks about the differences between dodge and agi / def gems for your purple gems.

The TL:DR version:
8 dodge rating = 0.203% Dodge
8 Agility = 0.169% Dodge, 0.169% Crit, and 17.6 Armor
(Theckhd)
Nemi

Postby Mert » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:11 am

Dodge gives more avoidance per iLevel point so is good when you're first trying to reach the block cap, but due to the diminishing returns on Dodge, it gets less valuable after you're block capped and so many folk begin to switch to dodge/stam gems for agi/stam for the armor and crit.

But in terms of reaching the block cap for the first time, Dodge will help you get there quicker than Agility.
Mert

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:12 am

When JC gems get nerfed, I'll be using a fair amount of agility/stam gems.
Jasari

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:19 am

Jasari wrote:When JC gems get nerfed, I'll be using a fair amount of agility/stam gems.

Just to fill up the red slots?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Jasari wrote:When JC gems get nerfed, I'll be using a fair amount of agility/stam gems.

Yeah, I currently have my prismatics in there but since most socket bonuses these days are between 9 and 12 stamina, I'll definitely be grabbing them... moving the dragons eyes to blue sockets and putting 8 agi/12 stam in the red sockets.
Jasari

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:23 am

Jasari wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

Yeah, I currently have my prismatics in there but since most socket bonuses these days are between 9 and 12 stamina, I'll definitely be grabbing them... moving the dragons eyes to blue sockets and putting 8 agi/12 stam in the red sockets.

Yep, likewise.

Big ouchie on the loss of stamina. Although I guess it's worth it for the avoidance and armor. Still.. ouch.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nemi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:42 am

Same here luckily my Crab is currently holding 2 of my dragons eyes. Our ret pally keeps ninja'n my T8 epix. (we /random 100 loot)
Nemi

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:01 am

If the JC nerf goes live as currently described, you'll almost have to have BS to keep it from being an extraordinarly weak profession.

But yes, Agil/Dodge gems are a good way to go, especially once your dodge hits the high 20%s.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:03 am

fuzzygeek wrote:If the JC nerf goes live as currently described, you'll almost have to have BS to keep it from being an extraordinarly weak profession.

But yes, Agil/Dodge gems are a good way to go, especially once your dodge hits the high 20%s.

How would it be extrordinarely weak? It would still offer 51 stamina over solid sky sapphires, all you lose is cheaping out on meta requirements and socket bonusses.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:07 am

Gamingdevil wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:If the JC nerf goes live as currently described, you'll almost have to have BS to keep it from being an extraordinarly weak profession.

How would it be extrordinarely weak? It would still offer 51 stamina over solid sky sapphires, all you lose is cheaping out on meta requirements and socket bonusses.

^^^

Since the current standard is 48-50 stamina gained for each profession, the JC nerf won't bring it lower than any other professions. This will of course change if +30stam (non unique) epic gems are released without also releasing a new more-epic version of JC gems... the benefit would go to +33 stam for JC and + 60 stam for BS.
Jasari

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:08 am

Jasari wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:

^^^

Since the current standard is 48-50 stamina gained for each profession, the JC nerf won't bring it lower than any other professions. This will of course change if +30stam (non unique) epic gems are released without also releasing a new more-epic version of JC gems... the benefit would go to +33 stam for JC and + 60 stam for BS.

Yes, but they're not released yet and they haven't even hinted at them being released so far.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:16 am

Gamingdevil wrote:Yes, but they're not released yet and they haven't even hinted at them being released so far.

They do however exist in "not yet attainable land": http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40119
Jasari

Postby jere » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:30 am

Note, however, than many things have existed in that land and never made it to the game (and in some cases were taken out), so it is hard for anyone to say at this point.
jere

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents