Remove Advertisements

Glyphs in 3.1

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Glyphs in 3.1

Postby Solare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:23 pm

Just curious what everyone will be taking. For general applications, I currently use Seal of Vengeance, Righteous Defense, and Judgement glyphs. But the new Divine Plea glyph seems like a no-brainer, considering it's potential uptime. And considering how little of my total damage (and threat) comes from Judgements, and about our threat increase from 3/3 Crusade, I think it's time to put it away.

What does the community say?
Solare

Re: Gyphs in 3.1

Postby Dorvan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm planning on running DP + the top 2 TPS glyphs (I never really liked the RD glyph, and won't miss it). Based on current numbers, that amounts to:

Divine Plea
SoV
Judgment

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Solare » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:06 pm

I've always loved the RD glyph. Considering that our taunt has a spell based miss chance of 16% or 17% (I can never tell anymore), we have to deal unfairly with a higher overall miss on our taunt as opposed to warriors, whose taunt is sat squarely at the melee cap of 8%. Maybe they changed Righteous Defense to work off melee cap, but I doubt it. And frankly, without this glyph, the miss chance is really too high for me to ignore.
Solare

Postby Marklevin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Solare wrote: For general applications, I currently use Seal of Vengeance, Righteous Defense, and Judgement glyphs. But the new Divine Plea glyph seems like a no-brainer, considering it's potential uptime. And considering how little of my total damage (and threat) comes from Judgements, and about our threat increase from 3/3 Crusade, I think it's time to put it away.

Personally, I think ToC had the hardest trash in the game. Wait... what do you mean? Those were bosses!? Lies.
Marklevin

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Solare wrote:we have to deal unfairly with a higher overall miss on our taunt as opposed to warriors, whose taunt is sat squarely at the melee cap of 8%.
Well that's wrong. All taunts work off the spell hit chance.

EDIT: Didn't mean to come off sounding so harsh.
Last edited by majiben on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:31 pm

I'll run the DP glyph and Salvation most likely. Not sure yet on the third.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:04 pm

DP absolutely.

Remaining 2 still got no idea, will bother when we get final patch notes since they keep changing them every 2 days.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:08 am

I'm with Dorvan on this one. Not having RD glyph might be annoying at times, but I won't really miss it.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Khayne » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:19 am

I atm think DP and SoV.

not sure on 3rd, might grab salvation, depending on the encounters and our raid dps scaling.
I think i'll just run judgement on that 3rd slot while i wait for seeing an encounter where i want salvation glyph.

I will try 1/2 SA spec though, so if the mana isn't totally right, might grab SA glyph to that 3rd slot and see if it's cool then. But i think i won't need to do that.

RD glyph is as good as gone, i rarely use RD anyway, and the only fight where resist on taunt can screw me really over atm is 4 horsemen, and that's an encounter where RD is not too hot for other reasons allready. I rather use more of my tanking gear with +hit on that fight.
Khayne

Postby Jasari » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:31 am

Solare wrote:I've always loved the RD glyph. Considering that our taunt has a spell based miss chance of 16% or 17% (I can never tell anymore), we have to deal unfairly with a higher overall miss on our taunt as opposed to warriors, whose taunt is sat squarely at the melee cap of 8%. Maybe they changed Righteous Defense to work off melee cap, but I doubt it. And frankly, without this glyph, the miss chance is really too high for me to ignore.

All taunts are based on spell miss chance... I know someone else already corrected you, I just wanted to make sure it was clear since it's a fairly important distinction.

As for me,

I'll go DP for sure, and then not sure on the last two. Probably SoV and Judgement, but I could see myself taking HoSalv depending on what the though encounters look like.
Jasari

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 am

I'm probably going to go DP + SoV + Judgement. However, depending on how the encounters in Ulduar look, I may swap Judgement out for RD (if there are a lot of tank-swapping fights), since Judgement is such a weak threat glyph. On the other hand, if we're nearly soft-capped on Expertise in Ulduar gear due to the off-set items, I'd swap out the SoV glyph (since it'd be worse than the Judgement one in that scenario).

The HoSalv glyph is one I'm still torn on. I like the utility of another cooldown, but I don't like having to settle for the threat reduction to get it. If it's not absolutely needed on any fights, I will probably avoid it, especially since it seems clear to me it was never intended to be another tank cooldown.

I have at least one tank of each variety at my disposal for Ulduar though, so it's easy enough for me as a raid leader to not take the glyph and just make the DK tank the badly-designed cooldown fights. Especially since with Dual-Spec he no longer has the excuse that his DPS is better than mine when not tanking. :P
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Solare » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Majiben wrote:Well that's wrong. All taunts work off the spell hit chance.

EDIT: Didn't mean to come off sounding so harsh.

That's pretty contrary to what my warrior counterparts have informed me. And most warrior theorycrafting sites I've read are incredibly biased pieces of literature, mostly centered around their threat and dps rotations. Like this post about expertise vs. hit for prot warriors.

http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/01/07/expertise-is-always-better-than-hit/

Frankly, I found it irresponsible that I could find nothing written on the viability of their taunt glyph due to the spell hit nature of their taunt mechanic. Even looking at the glyph itself at wowhead.com in the comments section, no one even thought to mention this fact. So forgive me for being ignorant on the matter when, based on this evidence, the warrior community seems to be rather ignorant of the matter as well.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43429#comments

Now that this is over with. Someone mentioned in another post if the Divine Plea glyph will stack with another source of 3% damage reduction. This is fairly important. As, if it doesn't stack, it's a fairly wasted glyph slot. You can be reasonable sure to have a 3% DR, even in a 10-man. It's almost guaranteed in a full 25-man.

Thoughts?
Solare

Postby Ascendant » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Hand of salv looks good. you can use taunt to negate the threat drop, the only worry I have is it's viability being only 20% damage reduction for 10 seconds. The way things are looking I will use:

Divine plea
Seal of Vengeance / Hand of salvation (undecided)
Hammer of the Righteous
Ascendant

Postby knaughty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 pm

Didn't the ability to keep DP up for extended periods of time get removed?

I haven't logged on to the beta in a couple of weeks...

3% "semi-always up" is awesome verging on OP.

3% as a clickackble CD is crap verging on useless.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby majiben » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:24 pm

DP should be up 100% as long as you're fighting and have 2/2 GbtL.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents