So... what Exactly is a 'Tanking Weapon'?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

So... what Exactly is a 'Tanking Weapon'?

Postby Paulewaug » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:23 pm

I know there are lists around of what the "best" weapons are at the high end, the Red Sword of Courage, Last Laugh, etc.

But while I am leveling, what attributes really make a weapon a 'tanking weapon'?

DPS over Weapon Speed?
Str and Stam vs Almost anything else?
Armor value when you can find it?

Is there a weapon speed too slow as a one hander?

Like "don't go over 2.6" or is that pretty much as slow as you'll find in a 1-hand anyways?

At the lower levels I've found that a faster weapon was helping me hold agro better, but as I am getting more abilities it does seem like maybe it matters less

But then, yeah Perception is a funny thing, eh!?

Sometimes I know what weapon exactly is a ‘tanking weapon’ but not so much the Why of it ;)

Thanks!
Paulewaug

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:32 pm

For the plate wearing classes the most basic components are the following:
Stamina
Avoidance (defense, dodge, parry, agility, And I'm going to throw in block for good measure despite it being psudeo avoidance)

Sub Rules

For the 1H tanks being one handed is obviously a necessity as well. The following rules are often followed but are not set in stone like the ones above.
Has Str
Doesn't have raw AP, ArP, haste, or Crit
Sometimes has Hit or Expertise

For 2H tanks they can have any of the physical dps stats. They prefer to have STR on their weapons but it is not required.

Druids:
Agility and stam. Almost always 2H.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby arktik » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 pm

The only epic weapons you should be worried about are: (taken from http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=18989)

[*] 56.20 [Last Laugh] - (H) Naxxramas, Kel'Thuzad
[*] 50.53 [Broken Promise] - (H) Naxxramas, Four Horseman
[*] 47.06 [Slayer of the Lifeless] - Naxxramas, Gothik the Harvester
[*] 45.50 [Red Sword of Courage] - (H) Utgarde Pinnacle, King Ymiron

other than that dont worry about it :)
arktik
Maintankadonor

Re: So... what Exactly is a 'Tanking Weapon'?

Postby DanimalEQ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:29 am

Paulewaug wrote:I know there are lists around of what the "best" weapons are at the high end, the Red Sword of Courage, Last Laugh, etc.

But while I am leveling, what attributes really make a weapon a 'tanking weapon'?

DPS over Weapon Speed?
Str and Stam vs Almost anything else?
Armor value when you can find it?

Is there a weapon speed too slow as a one hander?

Like "don't go over 2.6" or is that pretty much as slow as you'll find in a 1-hand anyways?

While you are leveling, you pretty much hit it on the nose. The 'tanking' weapons are the ones with armor and stam on them. If you can find one with strength, all the better. There are a rare few that have defense or parry on them as you level up, but for the most part, they aren't worth chasing.

For weapon speed, it doesn't matter too much in terms of threat. Seal of Righteousness scales with weapon speed, so will do the same damage over time. The main benefit to a faster weapon, is more frequent SoL/W procs and more hits on a judged mob for additional healing / mana procs.
DanimalEQ

Postby Paulewaug » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:30 am

Ok, thanks!
Paulewaug

Postby Shoju » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 am

While Leveling, I focused on 2 things.

Stamina
Speed < 2.0

Past that, you don't really need much else. If you have a weapon that is slow, it's not a big deal, I just preferred it that way. On my paladin though, I only ever had 6 weapons from 20-70 (1-20 doesn't count ever)

Blood Tempered Ransuer
Corpsemaker
Sword of Omen
Axe of Rin'ji
Diamond Core Sledgemace
Mogor's Annointing CLub - I tanked my first 4 heroics with this before picking up a crystalforged sword.
Shoju

Postby Sarutankah » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 pm

I levelled to around 60 with Blade of the Basilisk and crusader enchant then used other random dps ones until crystalforged.

I got the slow axe from a quest @ 74 Crescent of Brooding Fury that has the highest top end over everything with defense but broken promise, instantly got nice big hammers and much better aoe threat - I still prefer it now over sword of courage cos it hits much harder and holds better threat.

I would only consider permanently replacing it with Broken Promise but may change to the titansteel mace with 110ap cos I like zeh crits.
Sarutankah

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:26 am

Sarutankah wrote:I got the slow axe from a quest @ 74 Crescent of Brooding Fury that has the highest top end over everything with defense but broken promise, instantly got nice big hammers and much better aoe threat - I still prefer it now over sword of courage cos it hits much harder and holds better threat.

The size of HotR has nothing to do with top-end damage, only DPS - in that respect, the other two quest rewards were both slightly better; they also have higher Strength, pushing damage even further ahead. All the damage range will have affected is your melee swings, which won't have changed AoE threat at all (extra strength and main-hand dps would).

The axe may have been an upgrade threat-wise over what you had before, but it was probably (marginally) worse than the other two options from that quest. I expect the additional strength, stamina, and dps on the Red Sword to make it better for threat than that axe, too, regardless of how you feel the axe holds threat better.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Arnock » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 am

Shoju wrote:While Leveling, I focused on 2 things.

Stamina
Speed < 2.0

If you have reckoning, then you generally want a speed faster than 2.0, seeing as Seal/judgement of light and wisdom have internal cooldowns now, and you get a higher benefit from reckoning with slower weapons.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Return to Basic Training & Talents