Remove Advertisements

Strafing is my weakness

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Strafing is my weakness

Postby vwest87 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:23 pm

This may be due to the fact that I have almost always changed the default bindings for strafing and rebound them to other abilities and have since been trying to get them replaced since.

Currently my Q and E keys are bound to holy shield and HotR.
This is mainly due to the nature of the 9696 rotation and I am able t have Judgment, ShoR, and Consecration on my 2-4 buttons respectively and AS on the 1 key. This allows me to easily access all my abilities while maneuvering in many different fights and maintain my rotation and threat from trigger happy mages :P

I'm wondering if anyone else has trouble with this and what some might advise to do, I would prefer to leave my current keybinds, I've read that some people rebind the A and D keys to strafe and simply mouse turn, I have no issues mouse turning but I seem to use a combination of the two honestly and when attempting to do this I ended up turning Malygos onto my raid right before an arcane breathe T_T

I may just need to go ahead and force myself to learn the strafe as the A and D key and only mouse turn in some heroics but if anyone has any ideas what I could do that would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside I would like t thank all of you for all the great information this community provides as this is the first time I have even felt a need to post since everything was generally well covered to answer my questions. :)
vwest87

Re: Strafing is my weakness

Postby MrDuck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Well i play on arrows, so i have these strafe keys left out at all, what i do is i just turn with mouse most of the time, but i have my left/right keys bound to turning, but when you press the right mouse, it works as strafe (well i know you know this already) and that's all i can ever need for movement. I have like every single spell/item/anything i can need in combat bound to keys nearby and alt/shift/ctrl+these keys, so i really only need mouse for turning anyways. Oh and selecting targets for taunt and such if needed but that's obvious :P
MrDuck

Postby DisRuptive1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:55 pm

My suggestion is to remap your keys. I know you don't want to but it will make you more effective. You can keep everything the way you like, but it helps to add more than one spell to a single key click by using modifiers to cast additional spells. You can press a single key to cast spell one, hold down shift to cast spell 2, hold down control to cast spell 3, and even hold down two modifier keys for a fourth spell.

If you want to use the shift key as a modifier, you'll need to disable it in the keybinding for switching between action bars (use shift+mousewheel instead)

You can put quite a few spells under one keyclick. The only thing stopping you is the 255 character limit.

vwest87 wrote:Currently my Q and E keys are bound to holy shield and HotR. I... have Judgment, ShoR, and Consecration on my 2-4 buttons respectively and AS on the 1 key.

Let's see if we can clean up your action bar. You have 6 spells that you use:

Holy Shield
SotR
HotR
Judgement
Avenger's Shield
Consecration

#showtooltip
/castsequence [mod:alt] Consecration; [mod:shift] Avenger's Shield; reset=6 Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, null

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=9 Holy Shield, Judgement, null

Try something like this and put them on your 1 and 2 keys.
DisRuptive1

Postby phaqueue » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I also have Q and E rebound... my solution? I use my mouse... a lot...

if you hold down the right mouse button and use the A and D keys... you will strafe... go pulll random world mobs to practice... or just run back and forth....

takes a little getting used to... but it's how I play now :)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Threatco » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

I like to play with my right mouse button held in for 100% full control. Everything else done with left hand. I can choose to use q or e to strafe. But I rather hold mouse in and use a or d and still have 100% control.

A lot of the videos I watch it seems like the tanks who make it use the keyboard to move the camera, as they move with fast broad jerky motions. I only do this if I need to see behind me but not change my facing. (kiting back and need to watch for a door in a wall to pass through)

Since every pro tank video I seen (and pvp for that matter) seem to use the button-camera control it makes me feel like this may be another one of those "I am a unique snowflake" situation for feeling my way is better in spite of them.

I think this is one of the reasons why I never had trouble with loken.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Unholly » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 pm

rebind the A and D keys to strafe and simply mouse turn
+ 1hr messing around in a bg = win :D
Unholly

Postby mayoff » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:40 pm

I mapped the tilt wheel on my mouse to strafe left/right.
mayoff

Postby Karnadas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 pm

a and d are strafe
q and e are turn
w and s are forwards and backwards
1 is HotR
2 is Hammer of Justice
3 is Righteous defense
4 is holy shield
5 is hammer of wrath
6 is cleanse (i also use clique to cleanse, but with auto-self buff turned on its easier to cleanse myself by hitting 6)

mouses' 5th button is judgement
mouse's middle button is DP
Shift+A is consecration
Shift+S is ShoR
Shift+D is whatever seal, usually corruption
Shift+F is the block trinket from H VH

Even though I have q and e as turn, the only time i use them is when summoning people, otherwise it's right-click and drag.

After playing for a while with these keybinds, they've become very easy to use. Since we have no holy pallies, I just put sacred shield on number 5 during Loatheb and sneak it in here and there. Once I started doing that, the healers noticed a difference right away.
Karnadas

Postby bub64882 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Unholly wrote:

Yep, this.

For added practice, get a rogue and go BG, or roll a decked out one on PTR. Seriously, if your most damaging attacks require positioning behind your target, you will excel at strafing at no time.

Even simpler, install a FPS game and jump online. I recommend TF2.
bub64882

Postby Kitsuna » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:37 am

Unholly wrote:

There is never a need to trot in place. Once you make this change and learn to use the right mouse button, you'll wonder how you ever got along before!

If you feel very adventurous you can rebind from WASD to ESDF to gain access to many more keys without having to move your hand much, but you should probably take it a step at a time. :)

Plus, once you learn to strafe you get to have fond memories of when you were like this guy! :P

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/87.html
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Threatco » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Unholly wrote:
Quote:
+ 1hr messing around in a bg = win

There is never a need to trot in place. Once you make this change and learn to use the right mouse button, you'll wonder how you ever got along before!

If you feel very adventurous you can rebind from WASD to ESDF to gain access to many more keys without having to move your hand much, but you should probably take it a step at a time.

Plus, once you learn to strafe you get to have fond memories of when you were like this guy!

http://www.darklegacycomics.com/87.html

Losing the ability to turn using A and D seems like a loss. You all ready have strafe buttons. Plus if you hold in your right mouse button A and D become strafe. If you hold in left mouse button A and D turns your toon but not the cam (So you can see your face).

With the dozens of shift+ctrl options around the left of the keyboard and the mouse I don't see why you would just delete.

But admitedly I nevert tried it that way.
Threatco

Postby Kitsuna » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:12 am

Threatco wrote:
Losing the ability to turn using A and D seems like a loss. You all ready have strafe buttons. Plus if you hold in your right mouse button A and D become strafe. If you hold in left mouse button A and D turns your toon but not the cam (So you can see your face).

There is never a need to keyboard turn. I do not see how this could ever be deemed a loss, unless seeing your guy shuffle in place gives you utility. If it does, who am I to deny you? :wink:
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
Kitsuna

Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Threatco » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:37 am

When you need to play one handed :oops:
Threatco

Postby Levantine » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 am

fapfapfapfapfap
Levantine

Postby Martie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:35 am

Karnadas wrote:a and d are strafe
q and e are turn
w and s are forwards and backwards
1 is HotR
2 is Hammer of Justice
3 is Righteous defense
4 is holy shield
5 is hammer of wrath
6 is cleanse (i also use clique to cleanse, but with auto-self buff turned on its easier to cleanse myself by hitting 6)

mouses' 5th button is judgement
mouse's middle button is DP
Shift+A is consecration
Shift+S is ShoR
Shift+D is whatever seal, usually corruption
Shift+F is the block trinket from H VH

Even though I have q and e as turn, the only time i use them is when summoning people, otherwise it's right-click and drag.

After playing for a while with these keybinds, they've become very easy to use. Since we have no holy pallies, I just put sacred shield on number 5 during Loatheb and sneak it in here and there. Once I started doing that, the healers noticed a difference right away.

Am I the only one that bound skills to the buttons around my movement keys?

Right now, I have...

1 Judgement of light or wisdom (I swap them around based on what I think I need.)
2 Consecration.
3 Avengers shield.
4 Something I rarely use, I forgot what.
5 Judgement of light or wisdom (swaps with 1.)
6 Righteous defense.
q Judgement of wisdom, holy shield, consecration macro.
w hotr, sotr macro.
a holy shield.
z cleanse.
e move forward
s turn left.
d move backward.
f turn right.
r I didn't rebind, still replies to whispers.
t Seal of what I need at the moment, usually wisdom or vengeance.
g Bound to a skill I haven't used since wotlk, probably judgement of justice.
x activate/deactivate divine shield.
v divine plea and arcane torrent macro.

While it's not optimized, the layout I chose gives me a lot more skills on-hand to use. I can use most of my more important skills while moving, and don't have to move my fingers quite as much.
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Martie

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents