Remove Advertisements

What do I judge?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

What do I judge?

Postby honorshammer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:43 am

I'm level 67 and tanking Non-Heroics. I have decent gear, but not great.

Is it better that I judge Light, Crusader, or Wisdom on the boss?

Thank you,

Honorshammer
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/?#cha ... norshammer
honorshammer

Postby Lore » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:58 am

Well that depends on if you feel you need health, mana, or threat :P

Trash I don't usually judge anything, unless it's going to last long enough for me to get any kind of return out of it (ie: boglords). I'll judge crusader if I think I'm going to need the extra threat, wisdom if I'm not taking enough damage to need enough healing to replenish my mana on its own, and light if I don't need either of those.

Bosses I almost always judge light, but I'm a blood elf and can use leet SoB cheats :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 pm

Depends on group composition, too. Hunters love Wisdom and get nothing from Light; rogues and dual-wield warriors/shamans love Light but only the shaman benefits from Wisdom.

I almost always use Wisdom unless the bad guy hits so hard that I have no mana concerns whatsoever, in which case I go Light. (Not using Crusader at all currently because I keep forgetting to put my Libram of Bugged SotC in the bank. :( )
Arcand

Postby Shabadoo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:18 pm

I usually judge crusader first then righteouseness, if Im wanting immediate threat then I usually judge righteouseness and attack with righteousness. It seems to work fine for me.
Shabadoo

Postby Ignus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:51 am

The majority of pick up group DPS classes will not know how to control aggro unless you control it for them >.>

My main judge is crusader. The spell damage is just too big a leap in threat for me (partly because my spell damage from gear is around 45 right now, I need a gear update >< ) However if you feel your threat is safe or you have someone else tossing crusader around, I usually go for light to give myself some free damage mitigation.

If you are working with a well co-ordinated group you can focus more on using the judgement that your group mates will use most effectively on any given pull.
If you invest all of your talents, all of your gear, all of your knowledge and skill into tanking, you should be the best tank.
Ignus
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:35 am

Ignus wrote:The majority of pick up group DPS classes will not know how to control aggro unless you control it for them >.>

My main judge is crusader. The spell damage is just too big a leap in threat for me (partly because my spell damage from gear is around 45 right now, I need a gear update >< ) However if you feel your threat is safe or you have someone else tossing crusader around, I usually go for light to give myself some free damage mitigation.

If you are working with a well co-ordinated group you can focus more on using the judgement that your group mates will use most effectively on any given pull.

I've had horrible luck with PUGs. On my server (Altar of Storms) the PUGs still view tanks as Warriors and mainly Druids. Most of the PUG invites I get are along the lines of "Are you healz?". Luckily, I have an awesome guild I run with, and they have taken to their little Tankadin.

I do okay holding off the mages, but Rogues and Fury Warriors have to hold back to not pull aggro from me.

Also, as I hit 70 last weekend and tried a couple of level 70 instances, I'm finding that gear that was once good, not great, has quickly become bad gear.
honorshammer

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 am

I use Wisdom most often, followed by Crusader, and very rarely Light.

Light does not give a big enough return to really be worthwhile. Wisdom is for trash, and Crusader for Bosses for that extra aggro push.

But it is situational and I often switch in the middle of the fight based on the needs of the moment. i.e. I don't need mana, I need a threat boost, bye bye Wisdom and Hello Crusader.
Vanifae

Postby Lore » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 am

Light is a pretty good standby judgement. If you don't need the extra threat, and you don't need the extra mana, you might as well. It's certainly not a huge boost, but it's better than nothing.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:13 am

I judge wisdom 99.9% of the time. I've never needed the extra threat, and my healers and ranged dps love me for the constant JoW. I figure the mana they get back from JoW will go a long way towards healing me and doing more dps, more than JoL...and I don't really need the threat boost 8)
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby kurros » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:44 am

I'm curious if anyone has done the math- is wisdom better for threat than crusader for threat, when you don't have unlimited mana?

I assume most pally tanks don't spam consecration constantly on every fight, because you will run out of mana.

Using wisdom will give you more mana to cast consecrations, but is it more threat overall than using crusader and going without the extra mana?
kurros

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am

I spam consecrate constantly.
Vanifae

Postby Vanen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Another alternative to spamming the top rank Consecrate is to use the Rank 1 spell. While not as damaging it will help hold adds while keeping our limited mana supply full.

As for judging it all depends on the boss and the group. If it's mostly melee judging Wisdom is not a good idea, while using Light doesn't off set the damage they will take. Crusader is a sure safe bet on most big bosses. For me, I Judge that, then let SoV stack up and I can maintain aggro pretty damn well that way. If I lose it, I just SoV and I can more or less get it back with that burst of Holy Damage. If not, Taunt. :)
Vanen

Postby Nikolaos » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Rank 1 coefficent is getting nerfed next patch I believe so finding a balance between 1 and max that suits you is probably best.
Nikolaos

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:42 pm

I just spam Max lol... having mana is for chumps.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lorath » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:59 am

Haha great statement Vanifae :D
I'm one of those too, spam threat unless I'm trying to stay below another tank on purpose, or healers not givin' out the love atm :)
Max Rank Pwnage ;)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents