Remove Advertisements

SoV and one handed weapon spec

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

SoV and one handed weapon spec

Postby bubblesort » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:45 pm

Does anyone know if one handed weapon spec affects the damage of SoV in any way? I have heard that 1h spec affects SoR but have not heard anything about SoV.

As an aside, do most paladins use SoR or SoV for tanking? Is switching to SoL after aggro is established viable? I worry about being able to keep up with aggro using only holy shield and maybe consecrate.
bubblesort

Postby Chevalier » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:12 pm

No, SoV is not affected by 1h spec.
Switching to SoL or even JoL is not a bad strategy, espicially when you have a good amount of spell damage and lacking in the armor department. If you feel you have a good threat lead, go for it. If you lose aggro because of it you can always taunt and switch back to SoR/SoV.
Chevalier

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:46 am

The SoR/SoV question is often debated. In theory, assuming you never drop the SoV stack, with the low spell dmg you have in tanking gear SoV would generate more threat, but with a fast weapon the combination of misses, non procs, and resists seem to allow it to drop too frequently for my taste. Personally I use SoR almost exclusively. I use the Continuum Blade and at it's speed I can't keep an SoV stack reliably in place and so I end up generating a bit less threat with it. If the mob has some sort of knockback or stun etc, that can also make it difficult to keep the stack in place.

There are times when I can see SoV having a decent advantage like when mobs have an aggro wipe. Having that dot up, will help give you the initial aggro after the wipe. That said, I haven't had the need for such a thing, as I can usually either JoR or toss my shield if he's out of JoR range.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Return to Basic Training & Talents